British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

Idea For British Final 2014

Hold it on a non GP Saturday afternoon.

Highest placed non GP rider is Cardiff Wild Card

Have it at Peterborough - a big, fast, entertaining, fairly convinient and neutral (well if last few years are anything to go by) track.

£10 entrance for adults £2 for kids/over 65s

Find a sponsor that could put up some prize money

Make it an actual event not just a Monday night meeting!

BSI have already said no to that.

It was fine as it was before BSI took the qualification part out of it.

Why is Peterborough `neutral`?

Why is Peterborough `neutral`?

Why isn't it?

Which Peterborough riders did you see in the British Final?

• Like 1

No track is ever 'neutral' in essence. They will all favor certain riders over others depending upon their preference.

You could have staged the British Final on any track in the UK and the result would have been pretty much the same, especially the winner.

These were just ideas guys!

Yes it's likely there would be the same winner regardless of where it was, but it should still be on a bigger faster track IMO. And staging it on a Saturday with reasonable entrance fee is the main issues as its better for the fans. Better prize money & the wild card 'carrot dangle' are again just ideas to add spice to the meeting.

Why isn't it?

Which Peterborough riders did you see in the British Final?

And which rider other than the usual top 6 do you think would benefit from it being on a `neutral` track like Peterborough?

None of the EL tracks can be deemed `neutral` to the EL riders.

There is an argument that having the British Final at a PL track could in fact help a PL rider cause a shock and what a joke that would be.

The EL big guns would still dominate wherever you put it IMHO.

Wolves do a grand job hosting the Final and give it a good race track for the riders to feel safe on.

The annoying thing i get from some is that the British final deserves to be in a much better stadium with better facilities.

If some feel so strongly about hosting the event why don't you campaign your promoter to put in for hosting it, if what i have read is true no other club wants it!

And which rider other than the usual top 6 do you think would benefit from it being on a `neutral` track like Peterborough?

None of the EL tracks can be deemed `neutral` to the EL riders.

There is an argument that having the British Final at a PL track could in fact help a PL rider cause a shock and what a joke that would be.

The EL big guns would still dominate wherever you put it IMHO.

Wolves do a grand job hosting the Final and give it a good race track for the riders to feel safe on.

The annoying thing i get from some is that the British final deserves to be in a much better stadium with better facilities.

If some feel so strongly about hosting the event why don't you campaign your promoter to put in for hosting it, if what i have read is true no other club wants it!

Big guns is that a tongue in cheek statement apart from Tai are there that many? hardly a Collins,Lee,Simmons,Louis, Wilson,Ashby, Morton era is it.Out of the 16 riders Cook, Allen, Auty,Garrity,Worrall,Schramn,Haines,Birks,Barker,Kennett,Howarth,Wright, all of them PL riders.Harris,Nicholls we all no will not get any better and to be honest on certain tracks ( Nicholls showed scrambled through Sheffield round) are they much better?.Not much on a given day Tai/Cook yes the rest all a bit of a muchness you over exaggerate the difference between British EL and PL riders is there that much of a gulf. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Big guns is that a tongue in cheek statement apart from Tai are there that many? hardly a Collins,Lee,Simmons,Louis, Wilson,Ashby, Morton era is it.Out of the 16 riders Cook, Allen, Auty,Garrity,Worrall,Schramn,Haines,Birks,Barker,Kennett,Howarth,Wright, all of them PL riders.Harris,Nicholls we all no will not get any better and to be honest on certain tracks ( Nicholls showed scrambled through Sheffield round) are they much better?.Not much on a given day Tai/Cook yes the rest all a bit of a muchness you over exaggerate the difference between Britsh EL and PL riders.

I agree we don't have an abundance of big guns!

Tai and Harris are proven (Harris World Cup performances stand out), Nicholls seems on the downward spiral but still rides in Europe. King likewise is still on the up and can be classed as a big gun as far as Europe goes. Kennett has finally got a Polish club and it is what he needs to continue proving his worth. Barker needs to do the same as doubling down really is proving a backward step. Barker really is an EL rider who enjoys the comfort of the PL. Bridger needs to do well in Poland (seems to be so far) and continue to keep pushing his career forward.

Cook is starting to bridge the gap (thanks to EL experience) whilst Auty remains some distance behind but he is still proving himself against better riders in the EL. Worrall isn't that far off joining the group of haves and have nots.

The rest is a huge gulf and there is no exaggeration.

It is good to see the likes of Garrity, Ellis, Howarth making some progress but for now they will only likely be spoilers to an established `elite` group.

I agree we don't have an abundance of big guns!

Tai and Harris are proven (Harris World Cup performances stand out), Nicholls seems on the downward spiral but still rides in Europe. King likewise is still on the up and can be classed as a big gun as far as Europe goes. Kennett has finally got a Polish club and it is what he needs to continue proving his worth. Barker needs to do the same as doubling down really is proving a backward step. Barker really is an EL rider who enjoys the comfort of the PL. Bridger needs to do well in Poland (seems to be so far) and continue to keep pushing his career forward.

Cook is starting to bridge the gap (thanks to EL experience) whilst Auty remains some distance behind but he is still proving himself against better riders in the EL. Worrall isn't that far off joining the group of haves and have nots.

The rest is a huge gulf and there is no exaggeration.

It is good to see the likes of Garrity, Ellis, Howarth making some progress but for now they will only likely be spoilers to an established `elite` group.

In a vicious circle Barker, Auty and others have to double up to make a living and also with credit they love riding.It is not because of a lack of ambition, now Kennett has a Polish berth it would be great if others would be as lucky and follow suit.Cook i disagree with you on he hasn't become a better rider by riding ( once every three weeks rain offs last year in the EL) the PL has given him meeting,s sharpness confidence.Earning money and more and likely ploughing a lot more of his money into his aquipment.The days of just riding EL are long gone the push some need are just getting extra foreign meeting,s but that is not easy.

.Cook i disagree with you on he hasn't become a better rider by riding ( once every three weeks rain offs last year in the EL) the PL has given him meeting,s sharpness confidence.Earning money and more and likely ploughing a lot more of his money into his aquipment.The days of just riding EL are long gone the push some need are just getting extra foreign meeting,s but that is not easy.

No worries, we can agree to disagree on that. Without the EL experience he wouldn't have scored so well in the British Final IMHO.

I agree the PL meetings are helping to earn him some money. However if he is to move forward in his career he needs to Move up to the EL next season and concentrate on getting a Europe spot also.

Like you say, easier said than done.

No worries, we can agree to disagree on that. Without the EL experience he wouldn't have scored so well in the British Final IMHO.

I agree the PL meetings are helping to earn him some money. However if he is to move forward in his career he needs to Move up to the EL next season and concentrate on getting a Europe spot also.

Like you say, easier said than done.

You are right that is the way to go,i was hoping Auty could get a euro spot with Brum but it isn't easy.No one has mentioned it has Bridger dropped down the pecking order i haven't seen him that much but hasn't impressed me.For me there are three English groups now (1. Woffinden.) ( 2.Cook, Harris,Nicholls,Kennett,King,) ( 3.Worrall,Barker,Auty,Garrity,(ect)) Edited by sidney

No wonder promoters have a conception of speedway fans lacking intelligence. How many times do people have to be told!! The wildcard for the GP is decided by BSI. It was not the BSPA's decision and had nothing to do with them.

Did i mention the BSPA?? Whoever did come up with th idea is totally brain dead...

No track is ever 'neutral' in essence. They will all favor certain riders over others depending upon their preference.

You could have staged the British Final on any track in the UK and the result would have been pretty much the same, especially the winner.

Bar Ipswich...

Why bar Ipswich? Who would have beaten Woffinden at Ipswich?

And yes, you've mentioned the BSPA on a number of threads. As regards the 'idea' I don't see you complaining when wild cards are given out for the other GP's which use the same system.. BSI have the say and they've chosen the UK's 2nd best rider.. quite rightly so.

You are right that is the way to go,i was hoping Auty could get a euro spot with Brum but it isn't easy.No one has mentioned it has Bridger dropped down the pecking order i haven't seen him that much but hasn't impressed me.For me there are three English groups now (1. Woffinden.) ( 2.Cook, Harris,Nicholls,Kennett,King,) ( 3.Worrall,Barker,Auty,Garrity,(ect))

We aren't a million miles away from an agreement. :wink:

If we were going to group riders for me it would be (1. Woffy, Harris, Nicholls, King) (2.Kennett, Bridger, Cook, Worrall, Barker, Auty) (3.THE FUTURE - Ellis, Garrity, Howarth etc) (4. The rest ).

Did i mention the BSPA?? Whoever did come up with th idea is totally brain dead...

Bar Ipswich...

So why Ipswich? Can only think that Nicholls, Lanham, Barker and Ellis would have given Tai a good run for his money! :wink:

Actually can't think of many Brits that dont do well at Foxhall....well apart from Lawson

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

Would it not be good idea in 2014 if all the riders made an attempt at singing the national anthem? Woffinden was actually talking to someone when it was being played on Monday. :mad: .

If they don't know the lyrics give them a cue card, Simple. Maybe Team GB management could also utilise it in SWC.