British Speedway Forum

Despite the denial of Mr Horton this rumour is again doing the rounds with a strong possibility that Brandon Stadium is up for sale.

Who in there right mind would sell anything to Coventry City FC ? if they owed money they would simply go into administration again, pay 20/25p in the pound of what they owed, and start all over again. Naaaaaa to risky, but i do believe Brandon is on borrowed time, unless Harry Findlay the greyhound promoter at Coventry can buy it.

Despite the denial of Mr Horton this rumour is again doing the rounds with a strong possibility that Brandon Stadium is up for sale.

Horton has never said Brandon Stadium wasnt up for sale, we all know it is. What he has said is he doesnt think its to Sky Blues

due to it's prime location, i'm suprised brandon stadium has lasted so long. if it had been located in london or the south east it would have disappeared years ago like so many of our great stadiums.

Coventry City FC sale completes:

The sale of Coventry City has been completed by the club's administrator, who said it had been "no ordinary football administration".

Paul Appleton, of London-based David Rubin and Partners, revealed a deal had been struck with Otium Entertainment Group – the highest of four offers on the table – earlier in this month (June 2013).

"I can confirm that the asset sale by Coventry City FC Ltd to Otium Entertainment Group Ltd has been completed," he said.

"This has been no ordinary football administration and I have tried to undertake a sale process which allows the club to compete in all of next season's competitions.

"Obviously, one of the key points now is to determine where the club plays its football next season, but that is a matter for the purchasers and the Football League."

London-based Otium is the parent company of Coventry City Holdings Ltd, which was not in administration. Coventry City chief executive Tim Fisher is a director of the company, along with other former Sky Blues directors, who all have a connection with the club's current owners Sisu.

Subject to ratification by the Football League, they are now deemed to be the holders of the club's so-called 'Golden Share'.

Appleton added: "Otium has purchased the right and title to certain assets possessed in Limited including the shares in the Football League and the Football Association. I stress that I have only been able to sell such right and title to these as Limited possesses because CCFC Holdings Ltd asserts beneficial ownership over them.

"In this regard, the offer made by ACL to allow the club to play at the Ricoh was dependent on Limited remaining in administration and was based on the mistaken belief that Limited had the ability to field a team.

"However, as I've stated on many occasions, it is Holdings which employs the players and, consequently, Limited was never in a position to take up the offer."

Appleton was referring to the offer made by Arena Coventry Ltd, owner of the Ricoh Arena, to allow Coventry to play their home games rent free.

ACL has been in a long-running dispute with the club over rent which it claimed is owed. A spokesman said parts of Appleton's statement was not "entirely factually accurate".

The statement added: "The board also wishes to point out the fact that CCFC (Holdings) Ltd did not employ the Sky Blues players as per the most recent set of accounts filed for the business reporting upon the financial year ending 31 May 2011, signed off by BDO as an independent auditor on 20 June 2012. On the basis of this publicly available information, Mr Appleton's statement today is not entirely factually accurate."

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but wasn't IMG(UK) involved with Ricoh Arena at some point? A ill-fated joint venture in the so-called International Stadia Group (which was also in the bidding for the Olympic Stadium) where they ended up writing off over 7 million quid.

Sisu havent got the money to build a new stadium. They cant even subsidise the club so how are they going to spend £20m+ on a new stadium? I cant see ccfc surviving the 3 years in Northampton, as a season ticket holder and a member of the Sky Blue trust i know of 2 fans who are willing to travel to Northampton. Crowds of 1,000 will not be sustainable! Then you have all the planning issues in the area!

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Sisu havent got the money to build a new stadium. They cant even subsidise the club so how are they going to spend £20m+ on a new stadium? I cant see ccfc surviving the 3 years in Northampton, as a season ticket holder and a member of the Sky Blue trust i know of 2 fans who are willing to travel to Northampton. Crowds of 1,000 will not be sustainable! Then you have all the planning issues in the area!

BUT it doesn't stop them knocking it down does it?

BUT it doesn't stop them knocking it down does it?

To be honest no. Im not convinced its Brandon anyway, cant see SISU spending money that they dont need to. Plenty of other sites around without a need to demolish a building. Brandon would need a whole new road to be built behind the stadium. Will Sisu fund that? I doubt it.

isn't it all just about appearing to have a viable solution whilsat negotiating the rent on the Ricoh anyway?

• Like 1

isn't it all just about appearing to have a viable solution whilsat negotiating the rent on the Ricoh anyway?

Yes pretty much. They also have to show the Football League that they have a viable solution to return to Coventry within 3 years if they do move to Northampton. The planning and rebuilding of Brandon would take longer than that! They havent even got plans on what the stadium will look like yet!

Whilst the actual building of a new stadium at Brandon may take some time (or never happen at all), I've got a horrible feeling that if Brandon is sold to Sisu/Otium, they'll knock the stadium down first, then decide it's not viable (as everyone already knows), leading to them selling the football club on and leaving CCFC to live happily ever after in the Ricoh under new ownership, whilst Speedway and the other forms of racing at Brandon will be innocent victims of this mess and lost forever. I really hope my prediction is wrong and it doesn't get that far.

Edited by JamieE

Whilst the actual building of a new stadium at Brandon may take some time (or never happen at all), I've got a horrible feeling that if Brandon is sold to Sisu/Otium, they'll knock the stadium down first, then decide it's not viable (as everyone already knows), leading to them selling the football club on and leaving CCFC to live happily ever after in the Ricoh under new ownership, whilst Speedway and the other forms of racing at Brandon will be innocent victims of this mess and lost forever. I really hope my prediction is wrong and it doesn't get that far.

That is my only concern really. A football stadium will not happen on that site but bulldozing it before they realise that is worrying