British Speedway Forum

Crawl back under yer rock snyper old son.

• Like 2

How anyone can say they enjoyed the meeting is beyond me what a load of horse dung.

Some ok racing, I have seen far worse GPs. How much that was down to the bad track or not I don't know, but Harris third race was great stuff, so I thought the racing was ok, despite the bad track.

Why because I didn't see the incident through the same bias glasses as a lot of the others on here. You know its amusing that it is ok to say anything you want about certain riders but dare speak bad of the "British pin up boy" and that ain't allowed. I have now read two different sources both stating no contact was made between Freddie and Tai. I bet if Tao was where Freddie was and Freddie was the one that flew across the bend Tai would have been innocent and would have been totally in the right and no contact made.

Was great to see the cookie monster get two rides though. So wasn't all bad :)

Why because I didn't see the incident through the same bias glasses as a lot of the others on here. You know its amusing that it is ok to say anything you want about certain riders but dare speak bad of the "British pin up boy" and that ain't allowed. I have now read two different sources both stating no contact was made between Freddie and Tai. I bet if Tao was where Freddie was and Freddie was the one that flew across the bend Tai would have been innocent and would have been totally in the right and no contact made.

Was great to see the cookie monster get two rides though. So wasn't all bad :)

Seems to me like you're the only one making a big deal of that particular incident, for most it's been mentioned in passing. I could hazard a guess and say you don't like Tai but it would only be a guess.

Agreed, it was good to see Cookie get a couple of rides, also Josh, neither of them let themselves down.

Agreed both done well after being thrown in at the deep end.

Not bothered that is was Tai more the fact that the decision was awful. I would say the same had it been Lindback in Gothenburg, or Hampel in Torun etc. I feel the decision was swayed by the rider and venue and not by the actual incident.

Actually i think Greg Hancock and the track are to blame!!!.In Tais previous ride Greg picked up and gave Tai one hell of a scare which together with the track being the way it was had a factor in Tai drifting wide.Maybe he knew sommehow it was Freddie coming up the inside and tried to give him room,but the track caught Tai out.I really couldnt call it either way!!!!

JUST out of interest KK BROKE THE TRACK RECORD ON THAT TRACK,HOW?.Who was the time keeper?

Edited by speedwaysliders

But by and large the track at Cardiff has been good.

I would say that generally the last 3 or 4 years have been good but before that it was very hit and miss and some have been worse than last night. I suspect that I, and many others thought they had got to grips with it and would now be able to serve up a decent track every year. However as soon as something goes wrong it seems it's back to guesswork. That's why you need somebody who has expertise in all sorts of groundwork and not just Speedway tracks to advise on all aspects, including storing the shale. There would be other people who could do the job I am sure but Ian is the one that I know of and am certain he could provide a good surface every time if they followed his advice.

I have been privileged to information regarding the shale used yesterday and I wonder if Ole and his crew should have reacted earlier in the week by maybe getting new shale delivered to lay track as per Mon/Tues .Apparently the shale was not under cover at Newport but left outside on the Docks area whether it had been moved out during the closed season or just in the last month or so,or not been put in in the first place.The moisture content is tested with a probe pushed in in different places and I think ,but I,m sure ,an acceptable figure is around 5% to 7% to lay track and work it .The reported reading taken at start of the week was 17% .Obviously way over and working in side where you don,t get permanent sunshine(when we get any) or wind the drying process is virtually non existent .This reading should have been taken at the onset of work and IMO measures should have been implemented to get other shale providers within the uk to load up and get to Cardiff post haste.Breedon Quarries have been mentioned ref last night,s shale but it didnt come from them as having worked with their shale at Cardiff in previous years and at Coventry also ,last night the shale was different in colour (a lot lighter) and the texture and it looked to me as if sand had been mixed in with what ever they were passing off as shale.A lot of people have knocked track prep at Cardiff over the years and it was crap when we started but it has been the best indoor track for about the last 5 to 6 years haven,t been involved since 2011, but last night was very poor and dangerous .Well done to all the riders for giving it a go Commiserations to Tai .Unfortunately once again we are talking about Cardiff for all the wrong reasons,.Hopefully we will get an honest explanation on what happened but I won,t hold my breath likewise if I am proved wrong I will apologise but I don,t think that will be necessary.

Edited by FTM
  • Like 1

Regarding the attendance, we've just gotta except that speedway is a minority sport in this country these days. Travel costs pay a huge part too as does the excellent TV coverage.

Of course you're gonna get a full house for Wales rugby matches. It's the national sport of Wales with the distance to travel being negligible.

Anything approaching 40,000 for the GP is a decent crowd in this day and age

• Like 2

Cracking day out made much better by backing KK each way... Really is coming good now.

The track was a disgrace and Rising is just making a dick of himself defending it.

Nice to meet up with old faces... Shame stevebrum wasnt there as would of liked to of bought him a drink off my winnings from KK :D

• Like 1

Agreed, it was good to see Cookie get a couple of rides, also Josh, neither of them let themselves down.

Cook was first out of turn 2 in his initial ride, but was left lagging down the back straight. Not sure if it was his bike underpowered, or just that he was on the wrong part of the track. Still, an encouraging performance. Auty has never been a gater, and in this sort of company that's gonna get you nowhere.

Was good to see Cook & Auty get to ride (although wish it hadnt been at tai expense)

However watching Cook in same races as some of the riders who are likely to be in world cup does make me feel he might not be ready to ride against them in world cup this year

I don't think Cook did any worse than any other track reserve anywhere else would do at that stage. The riders he was up against had been racing the track, they knew how it had changed, they knew where the lines were, the ruts etc. It can't be easy to step in at that level over half way through a meeting and seriously expect to compete. Same with Auty. Cook would be a great addition to the England team (sorry I mean great britain) For too long fb have fielded the same faces over and over with no success. They wait until these guys are mid 20s instead of breaking them in earlier and giving them that experience. Cook is an exception as he is new to the sport so was around to be selected in his teens.

This topic will ultimately lead back to early years training and the sheer lack of facilities. Until that changes no GB team are going to compete on the world stage at a consistently high level. There may be spikes in performance where there is a few good riders appear but there will be little to no real talent to back that up.

I take it you haven't seen the lengthy debate on that subject in the British gp thread. Just so you know your talking tripe, the one major decision he had to make he bottled it.