British Speedway Forum

THEY do once the fences are installed and the material (over 40 truck loads) has arrived and is on the track. The racing surface was ready on Wednesday but yesterday (Thurs) some areas started to soften as moisture came up to the top.

And why's that then?? I suggest you look at the photo's taken by Nicki Pedersen at 11.50 last night!!!

Do you know if this new shale arrived in time and have they got it down onto the track yet?

Just like that!!

Probably no announcement in light of the fact that in their eyes, business is, to a point, as usual. They plan to start at the time they have to. What goes on in the days and hours up til then isnt important.

Really, i think its vitally important. Think you need to change your Avatar..

The organisers will do everything in their power to get it on. I read that the shale originally bought in was damp therefore didnt settle well. The new shale should sort that so im cautiously hopeful it will go ahead.

Never known shale to be brought in anywhere "damp", nevermind an indoor place like Cardiff, they couldn't run a pee up in a brewery.

There's been no sporting events at Cardiff for weeks, and they are still struggling now this should have been laid done and dusted and left to settle for best part of the week.. Total incompetence. This IS supposed to be our flagship meeting of the year and the total incompetence surrounding it doesn't really suprise me. Its SHOULD be done the same way every year so if anybody is going to tell me that nothing has changed then i don't believe them..

Edited by Starman2006

BSI are quite aware that the buck stops with them. But responsibility and blame are not always bed fellows.

If I owned a restaurant and employed a proven and experienced chef but one night he produced inedible meals I would be responsible but not necessarily to blame. The chef might explain that he did everything as normal with the usual ingredients. He might not even be to blame but the responsibility would still be mine.

As one who works alongside the BSI team at these events I can assure you that they are absolutely gutted by what happened yesterday and the senior members have been at the stadium all night. But they remain confident that it will be all right on the night and it certainly won't be for the lack of trying.

Philip, I am encouraged to hear the BSI recognise that it sits with them. What is disappointing is that on their Twitter feed and on their website you would never know there is a problem. The only info is coming from you and the riders. For me that is a disgrace, its not for you to have to report what is going on. In fact at 11pm last night their Twitter feed was going on about whether everyone was excited. A bit of honesty would not go amiss, rather than treating the poor people who are paying a small fortune for their weekend being treated like fools and leaving press to tell people what is happening. The fact that you say you are going at 8am and will report back, do they not have a media outlet ?

• Like 1

Agree with the above but in the comments you make goes to show that BSi will never comment on the gravity of the problems they are having with the track preparation as I'm sure it would put many people off from coming on the day of the meeting , sad I know but hardly surprising really this day and age is it. I can't come for family health reasons this year but in a way I'm glad ( being selfish sorry) because that track will never recover in such a short Space of time. #disappointing

TRACK is 'chalk and cheese' this morning. Some very bleary-eyed guys around. Short practice at 10am for those riders who want it, assuming track is okay it will then be bladed, rolled and top dressed. And the sun is shining!

Philip, I am encouraged to hear the BSI recognise that it sits with them. What is disappointing is that on their Twitter feed and on their website you would never know there is a problem. The only info is coming from you and the riders. For me that is a disgrace, its not for you to have to report what is going on. In fact at 11pm last night their Twitter feed was going on about whether everyone was excited. A bit of honesty would not go amiss, rather than treating the poor people who are paying a small fortune for their weekend being treated like fools and leaving press to tell people what is happening. The fact that you say you are going at 8am and will report back, do they not have a media outlet ?

There's an old saying....

Agree with the above but in the comments you make goes to show that BSi will never comment on the gravity of the problems they are having with the track preparation as I'm sure it would put many people off from coming on the day of the meeting , sad I know but hardly surprising really this day and age is it. because that track will never recover in such a short Space of time. #disappointing

Ditto. Sorry to hear about your family heath problems, hope they sort themselves out.

• Like 1

I would be worried that the track hasn't recovered enough or in good enough shape to take even a shortened practice session hours before the meeting.Surely it would be wiser to work on the track through the day to ensure a good surface and scrap practice altogether?

BSI are quite aware that the buck stops with them. But responsibility and blame are not always bed fellows.

If I owned a restaurant and employed a proven and experienced chef but one night he produced inedible meals I would be responsible but not necessarily to blame. The chef might explain that he did everything as normal with the usual ingredients. He might not even be to blame but the responsibility would still be mine.

Interesting analogy Phil. Unfortunately, the 35,000 odd diners who had the "inedible meals" might not return to your "restaurant". Hope everything gets sorted for tonight, I baled out of my trip on Thursday (for unrelated reasons), and am now glad I did.

TRACK is 'chalk and cheese' this morning. Some very bleary-eyed guys around. Short practice at 10am for those riders who want it, assuming track is okay it will then be bladed, rolled and top dressed. And the sun is shining!

So were it not for the pesky speedway forums they would have managed to cover up their incompetence and nobody would be any the wiser. Having said that, I am really pleased for the people in and on their way to Cardiff. Lets hope they have a good day and these people who some will have you believe act in the best interests of our sport can get away with fleecing everyone again. Just an opinion

• Like 3

And why's that then?? I suggest you look at the photo's taken by Nicki Pedersen at 11.50 last night!!!

Just like that!!

Really, i think its vitally important. Think you need to change your Avatar..

Never known shale to be brought in anywhere "damp", nevermind an indoor place like Cardiff, they couldn't run a pee up in a brewery.

There's been no sporting events at Cardiff for weeks, and they are still struggling now this should have been laid done and dusted and left to settle for best part of the week.. Total incompetence. This IS supposed to be our flagship meeting of the year and the total incompetence surrounding it doesn't really suprise me. Its SHOULD be done the same way every year so if anybody is going to tell me that nothing has changed then i don't believe them..

THAT'S probably most ridiculous post yet. You have no idea of what you are talking about. You probably think the Poole track last Monday was perfect.

Interesting analogy Phil. Unfortunately, the 35,000 odd diners who had the "inedible meals" might not return to your "restaurant". Hope everything gets sorted for tonight, I baled out of my trip on Thursday (for unrelated reasons), and am now glad I did.

AND I wouldn't expect them to. My point was simply that BSI know they would have to carry the can ... fortunately that now looks unlikely.

THAT'S probably most ridiculous post yet. You have no idea of what you are talking about. You probably think the Poole track last Monday was perfect.

Really, and no i didn't.

So were it not for the pesky speedway forums they would have managed to cover up their incompetence and nobody would be any the wiser. Having said that, I am really pleased for the people in and on their way to Cardiff. Lets hope they have a good day and these people who some will have you believe act in the best interests of our sport can get away with fleecing everyone again. Just an opinion

ALL that has been lost so far is yesterday's practice. Had that been behind closed doors and without social media people might have been none the wiser and arrived today with everything fine and dandy.

Had it gone t*** up they would have made an early announcement today.

In most businesses those employed or contracted could be subject to disciplinary action for leaking information to the public domain. In this case an element is already public knowledge, but BSI are probably not happy with the images portrayed by the riders.

Oh dear now after reading some detailed reports regarding the state of the track would it be better to cancel the meeting for another date rather than show it on telly and for it to be a laughing stock and a complete and utter farce as many would have spent a small fortune ths weekend just saying though. As don't want the british public to be ripped off at a watered down product.

ALL that has been lost so far is yesterday's practice. Had that been behind closed doors and without social media people might have been none the wiser and arrived today with everything fine and dandy.

Had it gone t*** up they would have made an early announcement today.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Fingers crossed that not only is the track sorted but also able to produce some exciting racing

And if the track isn't OK?

Niamh