British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

International Best Pairs - 8th June (eurosport)

Eurosport now showing what crap coverage they offer. Commentators in a studio, no sound or atmosphere from the track, missed heats, missed starts.

PANTS.

In its defence,it was primetime coverage throughout Europe on a free to air channel,not some subscription thing.That must be a plus.Potential audience i would have thought would be millions and zillions

Just watched recording glad I painted my garden shed not a good advert for speedway

I thought some of the racing was actually really good, certainly better than what gets served up by the Elite League each week.

However, that was completely nullified by the poor quality of the presentation. As has been said elsewhere, there was a complete lack of atmosphere and very little enthusiasm from the commentary team...and that's before we even consider the poor intro to the meeting, missed races at the start and then missing the start of a race (which actually looked like it was really good from the replay clips) after a commercial break.

In its defence,it was primetime coverage throughout Europe on a free to air channel,not some subscription thing.That must be a plus.Potential audience i would have thought would be millions and zillions

I'm not sure about the rest of Europe, but despite not being a "subscription channel" itself, Eurosport is only available in the UK bundled with other TV packages, i.e. Sky or Virgin, it's not available on freeview (digital terrestrial TV)

• Like 1

Thought Zagar the czech was great value to the event,he could have turned up and thought sod this ales dryml is going crap why bother,but to his credit he produced a couple of great passes,fair play to him........................................Ps is Matej available for team GB in the world team cup,?!!!

Edited by speedwaysliders

I actually quite enjoyed it. It was a little bit different - best way I can think of to describe Zagar as a Czech!

That part was a little ridiculous to say the least. Hampel as a spectator was equally so, but guess it worked out for the Poles in the end.

There were a few segments that were very interesting, and the racing was good towards the end.

The commentary pairing seemed a little "awkward" at times, but so was Chris Louis when he first started on SKY, now he's the best of the bunch.

So am confident they will improve given time.

Hopefully there'll be more meetings like this in the near future. Preferably starting @ heat 1!

Didn't have the slightest bit of interest in this meeting although I did watch it, total nothing meeting for me, it certainly was NOT a World Pairs Final!!!

Not keen at all in this new development, having BSI involved in the sport is bad enough but now this, oh dear!!!!

Didn't have the slightest bit of interest in this meeting although I did watch it, total nothing meeting for me, it certainly was NOT a World Pairs Final!!!

Not keen at all in this new development, having BSI involved in the sport is bad enough but now this, oh dear!!!!

Totally agree that this was NOT a World Pairs Final, and the FIM are certainly on our side in that regard!

However, I thought you might have been supporting this new lot, considering how much BSI are against them :P (just joking, btw)

In some ways I am happy to see "marketing" companies getting involved in the sport and trying to push the image forward, but I would rather they were brought into the league systems in each country rather than re-inventing more international competitions...

I thought some of the racing was actually really good, certainly better than what gets served up by the Elite League each week.

However, that was completely nullified by the poor quality of the presentation. As has been said elsewhere, there was a complete lack of atmosphere and very little enthusiasm from the commentary team...and that's before we even consider the poor intro to the meeting, missed races at the start and then missing the start of a race (which actually looked like it was really good from the replay clips) after a commercial break.

I'm not sure about the rest of Europe, but despite not being a "subscription channel" itself, Eurosport is only available in the UK bundled with other TV packages, i.e. Sky or Virgin, it's not available on freeview (digital terrestrial TV)

Fair enough.I was actually talking of mainland Europe and jumping to a conclusion really.As it is available here on freeview and also from the lack of requests on FB for a stream.And when someone in Denmark did request one they were told "it is on Eurosport,you don't need a stream...." Which made me think most if not all other countries had it free like we have here

Seen a few comments on other social media regarding the Eurosport coverage. I understand their policy is to stick with a live event until it's conclusion, hence the first few heats missed due to the overrunning tennis.

Lost interest in the racing after a short while and drifted off to sleep, still fuming over the Rye House result!

• Like 1

Like rmc and one or two others have mentioned,i can understand them staying with the tennis until the end.Only natural.They show something for an hour or more,they just can't leave before the end and swap to another sport.It was a small annoyance for us at home,but i do feel sorry for the people in the stadium who had to wait nearly and hour for the meeting to start.If there were families there it isn't very good customer service.It might make fans wary of attending a Eurosport meeting in the future.It certainly would me,as that is one of the things i hate the most about the sport.Not really watched much on the channel,but i did notice they often came back to the tennis late from advert breaks

Not keen on having speedway meetings televised that we would otherwise not get to see?!?

I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I really do not know what some people want.

• Like 4

I had noticed that BSI are against this competition. They obviously think they will steal their thunder in some way. Of course they could easily start an unofficial world championship of their own I guess . .

So how much has this new company got to do with the Polish Speedway Clubs?

Doubt this will ever get any official sanction as a world pairs final but plenty of options for an international competition.

the Czechs are a waste of time but they have UK, Latvia or Ukraine who could add competetive pairs.

Hopefully it continues as a TV competition as it was good to watch.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

Doubt this will ever get any official sanction as a world pairs final but plenty of options for an international competition.

the Czechs are a waste of time but they have UK, Latvia or Ukraine who could add competetive pairs.

Hopefully it continues as a TV competition as it was good to watch.

There was some good racing but it was hard to see it as anything other than a glorified challenge match.

There was some good racing but it was hard to see it as anything other than a glorified challenge match.

Can't argue with that.

But on the flip side, people say Brits need more international test meetings (which are also just glorified challenge matches), whereas these we have meetings like this, the European Championships and the European Junior Championships where British riders could get real experience against their peers, but they're not allowed to enter.