British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stummings

Rye V Plymouth Sat 9th June

Shambles from start to finish. I arrived about 6.20 and couldn't see any evidence of the track having been watered. Then, heat one, dust everywhere so out comes the tractor spraying out water every whichway. Can't see the point of watering the adverse camber or the entrance to the pits but it happened all the same. I suspect this caused the track to become patchy resulting in so many riders getting out of shape and crashing by picking up unwanted grip. I cannot believe that it would not have occurred to the promotion that it might dry out on a warm and windy day - not so warm tonight, though. Contrast this to Lakeside's meeting yesterday whereby the track was watered throughout the day providing a consistent circuit fit for great but safe racing.

As for the team, all the best to Olly and Jason who fell victim to poor conditions, and hope injuries are not serious and will be back in time for the next meeting. Also, hoping Jason Garrity is fit and ready to return soon. Rye missed him so much during the past few meetings.

The final shambles was the carpark. Clearly, nobody was marshaling it otherwise there would not have been a situation whereby rows were three-deep meaning the line in the middle had no means of exit. Luckily, within five minutes or so, the driver of the car in front arrived but others might not have been so fortunate.

Checking my diary, I find that I am unable to return to Rye House until 20th July but, as far as I am concerned, that may be too soon!

Edited by tocha
  • Like 1

Aye, the parking at Rye is ridiculous, remember going there on a coach a couple of years ago and it took ages for us to leave...

Edited by Hel'n'Back

I thought there was some decent racing from both teams.

I am disappointed we lost the match but we were very unlucky.

Kasper was looking good in his first ride when he came off. Bunyan too in the race he crashed in & losing your number one when he is having a good meeting would be a blow to any team.

Garrity is a big miss but I thought Mear would have been a decent replacement. Things just haven't worked out so far there. Lambert may not be fully fit but he is giving it a go & battled well for his points.

We get a lot of injuries but I thinks thats because we have a team of racers and not just gaters.

It wasn't long ago we were getting decent results away from home & so don't throw the towel in just yet.

Glad I stayed away tonight. Not going back til Garrity returns. Not spending my money on an ego going through the motions.

As I've said on another thread, when Garrity is fit get him back in with Roynon and show Mear and Lambert the door. Harsh on Lambert as he's been injured but can't be sentimental. Roynon gives his all when he races and it would put Garrity at reserve most importantly.

I had a similar feeling at Plymouth last season when Mr. Bowden was still in charge and thank god we have new management in place as it's given Plymouth a whole new lease of life :-) I felt sorry for the rockets last night especially losing the last 3 hts 5-1 and losing Allen and Bunyan but I suppose that's speedway and I sympathize with you! The devils have also had their fair share of ups and downs but keep the faith and things will improve for you!

Looks like a fractured forearm for Ollie Allen which isn't good news.

Edited by Paul

Aye, the parking at Rye is ridiculous, remember going there on a coach a couple of years ago and it took ages for us to leave...

Some friends were down on the Sheffield coach for the 2007 play off final and were trapped in the car park for almost an hour after the meeting. Not fun when you've just been hammered 69-23

We left immediately after heat 15 last night and were lucky to be at the front of 3 rows of cars. The one's in the middle weren't so lucky!

Looks like a fractured forearm for Ollie Allen which isn't good news.

Terrible for Olly, the club and supporters. Wish him all the best. Now the search begins for suitable guest or a replacement.

Edited by Shadders

I usually enjoy my visits to Rye House, but last night the track looked bare, overtaking was at a premium until the latter stages when there were one or two moves. Why turns one and two were not worked on is beyond me, there was obviously a big problem there, I wasn't counting but at least four riders lost control there, they weren't novices either. I suppose the bitterly cold weather and the fact that there was no fish left by the time I got to the front of the que didn't add to the enjoyment either, no problems getting out of the car park but who was the idiot parked right in front of the exit?

Edited by whowasthatberntpersson

I usually enjoy my visits to Rye House, but last night the track looked bare, overtaking was at a premium until the latter stages when there were one or two moves. Why turns one and two were not worked on is beyond me, there was obviously a big problem there, I wasn't counting but at least four riders lost control there, they weren't novices either. I suppose the bitterly cold weather didn't add to the enjoyment either, no problems getting out of the car park but who was the idiot parked right in front of the exit?

Murmerings around the terraces that Silver has lost interest in Rye and is focused on his new love in Kent. Don't think he's completely lost interest, just taken his eye off the ball.

That second bend exit was causing a whole heap of problems for even the most experienced riders. Glad it wasnt' just us that noticed. I'm no track expert, so can't offer a reason or a solution. Perhaps I'll get another visit from an expert to tell me why next time I'm there.

Almost grabbed my thick Rye coat before leaving home, but thought it'd be too warm. How wrong I was! Sat for most of the meeting shivering at the back of the Tempstand with blue hands in a foul mood almost unable to text the Twitter updates. Roll on summer!

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 1

Well mother-in-law enjoyed it and the Rockets lost a 10pt lead - so that didn't go to plan. To be fair it was close and there were some entertaining racing / passes. Rye did better then I expected and without losing Bunyan and Allen would probably have got the win. Felt like I'd been to a football match where the score was 0-0 at HT and then you go 2-0 up but end-up losing 2-3 with a goal in time added on.

Took my camera so feel free to browse my photos -

Been stated loads of times before, but Len needs to retire from Rye. Bring in fresh blood, it’s so clicky at Rye, Len don't like being told he's wrong and he don't listen! Len can’t even remember to bring the microphone out to toss the coins! Incidentally for those who watched the second half Max Clegg looked a real star in the making, he's good! With Allen injured [hopefully nothing more the bruising and not a fractured arm] we need changes. Recon a phone call to Adam Roynon a must! Yes injury prone but a racer. Robert Mear, well he just didn't look interested last night when he missed the gate, so give him back to Lakeside and bring in Roynon. Get Garrity back fit, hopefully he won’t come back to early. R.R for Allen, that’s a tough one, but if and it’s a big if we can get consistency, have no more injuries we could make top six, but changes need to be made now…..

Robert Mear, well he just didn't look interested last night when he missed the gate, so give him back to Lakeside

No way, he's all yours now. We have a proper racer in his place - Kevin Doolan.

If you need another indication as to to the farce Rye House is becoming you only have to examine last night's programme. On the 15th May we are riding against Sheffield then if you look at the right-hand column of the score chart the opposition are Ipswich and have been all season!

With Allen injured [hopefully nothing more the bruising and not a fractured arm]

I fear it's a fractured forearm Dave. Rider replacement is a waste of time with most of the side misfiring. A horses for courses guest is the only way, unless Ollies injury is long term, then it's gonna have to be a new signing. If Berwick don't want Kennett we'll take him. Nobody else springs to mind right now.

Edited by Shadders

Would Kim Nilsson fit Shadders?,he`s been dropped from the Hammers team,don`t know wether he`s got a place some where else.

Broken arm for Olly wonder how long before Adam Roynon gets a call, assuming he is still without a club in the PL

just confirmed on twitter, Olly has fractured arm, out for 4 to 6 weeks ??