British Speedway Forum

Is that what I suggested? No - just the typical bleating bobble hat wearing response to anyone who doesn't agree with with the "crap but cheap" brigade.

For years GB has been a PL country. So run a PL standard league. If it means a few "names" aren't riding here, fine - they don't particularly want to anyway. That why the Elite League has disappeared up its own backside by cancelling the KO Cup and half the B fixtures.

I wouldn't advocate 25 instead of 14 but what the Hell is with14 fixtures spread over 6 months or more?

If it means 1 or 2 Brits are squeezed out, so be it.

Then, instead of Golden Wedding Record Requests (dear God), put on a proper bloody show instead of the disheveled farce that goes on at the vast majority of tracks.

If riders can be served up to answer inane questions from the bint on Sky, they can do the same at every match - but not being interviewed by geriatrics who remember Johnnie Hoskins in his prime.

It's about a SHOW not background music, it's about making an effort.

still no ideas then???? plenty smart mouth comments but no ideas

Any room for the Elite league boys (Harris,Nicholls,King,Bridger,Mear)who have served British speedway well or will they be surplus in the new £10 model ?

if they'll ride for the money on offer - they're performing in front of 5 - 800 people for gods sake

Edited by ch958

if they'll ride for the money on offer - they're performing in front of 5 - 800 people for gods sake

It's not jsut money, but ability as well. Nicholls, Woffinden and Harris would be head and shoulders above every other rider and it would make the clubs who sided them too strong.

It is harsh, but there has to be a cut-off point somewhere.

still no ideas then???? plenty smart mouth comments but no ideas

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were seemingly bereft of the ability to read.

I'm sorry, I had no idea you were seemingly bereft of the ability to read.

"For years GB has been a PL country. So run a PL standard league. If it means a few "names" aren't riding here, fine - they don't particularly want to anyway. That why the Elite League has disappeared up its own backside by cancelling the KO Cup and half the B fixtures."

i can read that - it seems quite sensible

except half the pl clubs can't make ends meet either

so it needs ideas to lessen costs to achieve a reasonable entrance fee commensurate with a sport that attracts the number of people it currently does

THEN try and build things up from there

• Like 1

"For years GB has been a PL country. So run a PL standard league. If it means a few "names" aren't riding here, fine - they don't particularly want to anyway. That why the Elite League has disappeared up its own backside by cancelling the KO Cup and half the B fixtures."

i can read that - it seems quite sensible

except half the pl clubs can't make ends meet either

so it needs ideas to lessen costs to achieve a reasonable entrance fee commensurate with a sport that attracts the number of people it currently does

THEN try and build things up from there

Hang on a minute. You are advocating a £10 admission fee to only maintain the current fanbase. Surely if the turnover is lowered, then more fans need to be attracted to balance the books.

Why knock things even further down if your plan is to build up?

Why not invest in the sport and improve the product so that it's worthy of a £17 or even £20 entrance fee.

People will not turn out to watch a shoddy product, no matter how it's priced. Will your £10 product subsequently only be worth £5 or £6?

Hang on a minute. You are advocating a £10 admission fee to only maintain the current fanbase. Surely if the turnover is lowered, then more fans need to be attracted to balance the books.

Why knock things even further down if your plan is to build up?

Why not invest in the sport and improve the product so that it's worthy of a £17 or even £20 entrance fee.

People will not turn out to watch a shoddy product, no matter how it's priced. Will your £10 product subsequently only be worth £5 or £6?

i'm getting bored with folks who havent read earlier posts

sorry i've made my points i cant go over it again and again

costs would need to be lowered obviously

investment? are you having a laugh? clubs are threatening to go bust for supplying an air fence

Edited by ch958

investment? are you having a laugh? clubs are threatening to go bust for supplying an air fence

So how is a £10 entrance fee going to help them?

Sorry if you're getting bored O saviour of British Speedway

So how is a £10 entrance fee going to help them?

Sorry if you're getting bored O saviour of British Speedway

you got any ideas then or just another smart mouth?

sorry but you're making points that were made and dealt with ages ago on this post

you got any ideas then or just another smart mouth?

sorry but you're making points that were made and dealt with ages ago on this post

Maybe it's you who ought to re-read the thread.

I can't see any of your "ideas", or any real reasoned debate.

Well having read a number of ageist Posts on here - I reckon that I should pack up my blanket, folding chair, sandwich box and flask - stop going to Speedway and get myself in to an Old Peoples Home where I can play or watch tiddleywinks in nice plush surroundings whilst listening to Vera Lynn on the wireless. :sad: :sad:

I'm 68 years of age - obviously FAR too old to attend Speedway at Concession Rate. I should probably leave the Sport for the youngsters - er?? Where are they? :blink:

• Like 3

It would be interesting to hear Mr Rising from the speedway star thinks about all this & if he thinks the sport will sort its self out in this country.

HAVE written a piece for speedwayXtra this week (which will also go in Speedway Star next week) ... have never been as concerned about the future of British speedway as I am right now. Lack of real leadership at times of crisis is a major worry as is the fact that league speedway in the UK is becoming or is already an anachronism.

Even those of us who love the sport must surely admit that in its current form (league matches between unbalanced teams, no continuity of race-nights and team members, continual bending of rules, of which there are far too many that are destructive rather than constructive, no independent ruling panel, no real value for money week in, week out, no real effort to attract youngsters either to ride or watch and too many promoters who seem to think it will all turn out right in the end) it can and will survive.

HAVE written a piece for speedwayXtra this week (which will also go in Speedway Star next week) ... have never been as concerned about the future of British speedway as I am right now. Lack of real leadership at times of crisis is a major worry as is the fact that league speedway in the UK is becoming or is already an anachronism.

Even those of us who love the sport must surely admit that in its current form (league matches between unbalanced teams, no continuity of race-nights and team members, continual bending of rules, of which there are far too many that are destructive rather than constructive, no independent ruling panel, no real value for money week in, week out, no real effort to attract youngsters either to ride or watch and too many promoters who seem to think it will all turn out right in the end) it can and will survive.

That should read doubt it can survive...

• Like 5

Well having read a number of ageist Posts on here - I reckon that I should pack up my blanket, folding chair, sandwich box and flask - stop going to Speedway and get myself in to an Old Peoples Home where I can play or watch tiddleywinks in nice plush surroundings whilst listening to Vera Lynn on the wireless. :sad: :sad:

I'm 68 years of age - obviously FAR too old to attend Speedway at Concession Rate. I should probably leave the Sport for the youngsters - er?? Where are they? :blink:

You don't get it Ian. No one would suggest a campaign to stop old folk attending, the point is, marketed and presented as it should be it is highly likely Speedway would have no attraction to them. Lots of oldies used to frequent Lakeside for the BDO darts, have a look at a modern evening of Premier League darts and see how many old folk are there, there is no campaign to stop them but presented that way they do not wish to attend

Do you go to a nightclub on a Friday night in Sunderland? I am guessing the answer is no, now why is that do you think

But if we accept that, then where are the new fans going to come from to stop the whole thing going completely down the drain?

What you are saying is that British speedway is effectively finished.

I don't reckon as basic a statement as "British speedway is effectively finished" is correct ... providing it adopts a realistic economic attitude to its current plight, it can give itself a chance to settle down before trying to build itself back up (the biggest worry in all of that is whether enough clubs or supporters are patient enough to accept that's going to take some time to achieve).

However, I'm certain the current format of British speedway is effectively finished ... in fact, given plenty of clubs in both the Elite and Premier leagues have been losing hefty sums of money for at least the last 3 seasons, it's been effectively finished for some time but it's been allowed to stagger towards even greater decline because too many of the people in charge clung onto the lovely hope of "it must get better eventually" and spent far too long bickering over relatively trivial matters within the sport while the juggernaut of the general economic downturn hurtled towards them.

The Premier League collectively have made a huge effort this year towards keeping their costs under better control ... there's still a long way to go but at least the momentum's now in place to avoid carelessly letting costs spiral out of control again.

There's been plenty of debate on this forum in recent years (from their own fans and on a wider basis) about whether Ipswich were right or wrong to choose to drop down from being a 2010 Elite team into being a 2011 Premier team ... from what I've seen, that decision has turned out to be exactly the kind of realistic economic thinking I'd recommend for the whole sport.

I can understand Shale Shaker's concern about where new fans are going to come from but given the current situation, I'd argue too many aspects of British speedway aren't ready yet to make the most of new fans and hang onto them ... hence, maybe it's better to get the current mess sorted out first so that any future push towards attracting those new fans has the best possible chance of succeeding.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, although I've been very critical sometimes on this forum regarding Philip Rising's posts, I'll willingly applaud him for his post on this thread early this morning summing up the article he's written on his concerns about the current situation.

It looks like he's adopting a totally realistic and accurate view about just how much damage has been done already on top of previous damage which makes it so much harder to unravel everything now.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

I am coming increasingly to the view that speedway should drop the league/team racing format and base meetings on the style that have developed and survived so successfully in the USA.

Additionally, it could be that promoters should stage meetings perhaps only every two weeks over a season from mid-Apriil and ending at the second week of September.