British Speedway Forum

I believe speedway to be a £10 sport. I've read others say the same thing.

you have to compare other comparable entertainment choices, e.g. cinema about £8, non league football (attracting similar crowd levels) £8-12. You can't compare pro football and I'm not talking about GPs

people have criticised me for saying this on here but i would just put forward one law of business:

you can not change the market price.

if Mcdonalds charge £3 for a big mac Burger King cant charge £5 or no one would buy one

thats allowing for the product to be similar

this is how GB cant compete in many manufacturing areas - we can't make things cheap enough for the market price

people say "how can we survive by charging £10?" but thats not the markets problem its speedways problem just as in my example above Burger King would need to find a way of making their burgers cheaper so speedway would need to find a way of making itself cheaper to operate. How they do that is open to discussion.

Simple business facts

now i'll await the flak

• Like 2

Certainly no flak from me.

"Speedway is a £10 Sport"

It's not a particular flattering tag line for us all, but it is just spot on.

• Like 1

Of course it isn't. That might be the price you would like to pay but overheads and costs make it a much more expensive sport.

• Like 2

no flak from me .speedway has plenty of issues to deal with but its too expensive ,its a £10 sport but how you achieve that is a task for somebody with a bit of out the box thinking and that excludes anybody currently running the sport

• Like 5

Yeah, a tenner's about right, and perhaps start reducing the cost of a programme. In this day and age, of readily available stories off the internet, the news in a programme is more out of date than ever it was. Surely a basic scorecard is all that's needed.

• Like 2

I believe speedway to be a £10 sport. I've read others say the same thing.

you have to compare other comparable entertainment choices, e.g. cinema about £8, non league football (attracting similar crowd levels) £8-12. You can't compare pro football and I'm not talking about GPs

people have criticised me for saying this on here but i would just put forward one law of business:

you can not change the market price.

if Mcdonalds charge £3 for a big mac Burger King cant charge £5 or no one would buy one

thats allowing for the product to be similar

this is how GB cant compete in many manufacturing areas - we can't make things cheap enough for the market price

people say "how can we survive by charging £10?" but thats not the markets problem its speedways problem just as in my example above Burger King would need to find a way of making their burgers cheaper so speedway would need to find a way of making itself cheaper to operate. How they do that is open to discussion.

Simple business facts

now i'll await the flak

But Big Mac prices are have different prices all over the world, In fact they can cost differently in just GB

Britian can compete in manufacturing. Britain is behind Germany in car manufacturing, and within the next year will pass France to be second in Europe.

The biggest problem Speedway has had in the last two years has been the weather. People will still go to Speedway if the weather is good. I am sure the cost of Petrol is a bigger problem than a £10 cost. Many people will not travel to Speedway if the weather is inclement. , it's not because its not £10

• Like 1

no flak from me .speedway has plenty of issues to deal with but its too expensive ,its a £10 sport but how you achieve that is a task for somebody with a bit of out the box thinking and that excludes anybody currently running the sport

Agree 100% but its such a closed shop regarding attendance figures and break even figures,hows a new man who would like to have a go, know how to think outside the box,when he has to get inside first!!!

Of course it isn't. That might be the price you would like to pay but overheads and costs make it a much more expensive sport.

So the Tag line needs to change.

Out goes "Speedway is a £10 Sport"

In comes "Speedway is a £10 Sport, but because all costs are impossible to change, we'll charge you £17"

A little less catchy, I'd say.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Speedway IS a £10 sport if you follow Coventry Storm!

• Like 3

EL and PL should be merged in 2014 as a £10 sport.

NL is a £5 sport :wink:

• Like 2

As SS said, the overheads involved mean that speedway as we know it will never be a £10 sport.

That's just the business reality, Speedway will not survive as a £10 sport.

• Like 1

As SS said, the overheads involved mean that speedway as we know it will never be a £10 sport.

sorry but thats not good enough. It has to reduce its overheads. It can be done. It HAS to be done. Theres a hundred ways and we can all name a few - machines, pay, flights

my God flying people all over Europe to ride infront of 500 people!!! Get real!! A non league footballer in front of a similar crowd might get £150

But Big Mac prices are have different prices all over the world, In fact they can cost differently in just GB

Britian can compete in manufacturing. Britain is behind Germany in car manufacturing, and within the next year will pass France to be second in Europe.

The biggest problem Speedway has had in the last two years has been the weather. People will still go to Speedway if the weather is good. I am sure the cost of Petrol is a bigger problem than a £10 cost. Many people will not travel to Speedway if the weather is inclement. , it's not because its not £10

will they? will they really? how many - an extra 100?

Edited by ch958

my God flying people all over Europe to ride in front of 500 people!!!

This is one of the most stupid things that happens week after week, all over the country.

It is like the 'Emporers new clothes'.

Does no one stand up at a Promoters meetings and shout 'Alex, Jon, Chris ... for gods sake, you're Stark Naked!'

• Like 4

and that is exactly the mindset that currently runs speedway .it has to change
  • Like 4