British Speedway Forum

It's a chicken and egg situation surely?

Elite League promoters are really up against it with all the various fixtures their riders are taking part in and so having to fit around! Premier League promoters have it relatively easier imo and so don't need such a complicated set of rules!

I guess the only way to make running EL teams easier would be for all teams to run on only 2 nights of the week. It would certainly make it better for tv for starters and riders' calendars! But will this ever happen?

Speedway could also do with more tv money so they could use it to attract more fans particularly for tv matches!!

I'd be all for having more PL together with EL meetings on tv, it's good to see lots of different tracks and riders! I realise that this wouldn't go down well with EL promoters but I guess British speedway isn't really in a position to pick and choose?? I guess PL promoters know their job is easier than EL promoters as far as sorting their fixtures and signing riders is concerned?

We'll see what happens!

............................ and also SOME Elite League Supporters. :angry: :angry:

its easy to pick holes in my analogy but 90 percent of the posters think the same as me. If you disagree - fine - but what do you think should be done?

by the way i pay £8 to stand with 3-400 people in the Northern League - not a kick in the arse from average PL crowds

Conference is professional football these days and i specifically said that was not comparable. By the way - £17 to watch conference - you must be bonkers!!

Newport County was about £17 this season too. As for crowds of 3-4000 in the Northern League, I think you're bending the truth again. Whitley Bay averaged 492 while Jarrow couldn't muster 100 most games! The average attendance for the North League Div 1 was 226! the highest was 2200 for the game that more of less clinched Darlington the league title as they were playing the team that come second towards the end of the season. Only 4 non-league clubs managed to hit your lowest estimate of 3000 last season with any consistency while another 9 managed ti at least once.

If you want to compare prices, try season tickets. Leicester City works out at £17 a game for an adult and under 10s are free. I think it was WBA charged £20ish for a kids season ticket but for every game they attended they got £1 back so actually, a kids season ticket, was free as log as they went to every game - very clever as obviously mum and/or dad had to pay to get in anyway.

What about Premiership family tickets? 2 adults and 2 kids can go and watch Cardiff City for £40! How much does it costs for the same at a EL speedway meeting? If you're willing to pay up front or go as a family, Premiership football (admittedly Cardiff City) is cheaper than EL speedway at some tracks where it costs about £42-45 for the family and about £16.50 a meeting on a season ticket.

Newport County was about £17 this season too. As for crowds of 3-4000 in the Northern League, I think you're bending the truth again.

Seeing imaginary zeroes SCB?! Didn't the quote say 3-400? :)

• Like 1

Seeing imaginary zeroes SCB?! Didn't the quote say 3-400? :)

Oh heck! 300-400 is still higher than average for North League Div 1 anyway. And if we're talking 3-400 then every EL and PL teams beats that and I'm guessing all NL teams do, Buxton may struggle but thats about it. So hardly prove the point that this £8 gets the crowds flocking in! It's a poor example.

Newport County was about £17 this season too. As for crowds of 3-4000 in the Northern League, I think you're bending the truth again. Whitley Bay averaged 492 while Jarrow couldn't muster 100 most games! The average attendance for the North League Div 1 was 226! the highest was 2200 for the game that more of less clinched Darlington the league title as they were playing the team that come second towards the end of the season. Only 4 non-league clubs managed to hit your lowest estimate of 3000 last season with any consistency while another 9 managed ti at least once.

If you want to compare prices, try season tickets. Leicester City works out at £17 a game for an adult and under 10s are free. I think it was WBA charged £20ish for a kids season ticket but for every game they attended they got £1 back so actually, a kids season ticket, was free as log as they went to every game - very clever as obviously mum and/or dad had to pay to get in anyway.

What about Premiership family tickets? 2 adults and 2 kids can go and watch Cardiff City for £40! How much does it costs for the same at a EL speedway meeting? If you're willing to pay up front or go as a family, Premiership football (admittedly Cardiff City) is cheaper than EL speedway at some tracks where it costs about £42-45 for the family and about £16.50 a meeting on a season ticket.

i said 3/400 not thousand

"bending the truth again" go to hell - i am not a liar - the other bozo was talking about conference football which is pro - where else did i bend the truth? bloody rich coming from someone who can't read properly

speedway is dying - especially at elite league level. I'm not bending the truth about that - just trying to suggest an answer

if £17 is the right price where is everybody??

as for quoting football i already said you cant compare - football is popular speedway is not.

just stick your heads back in the sand i've given my opinion

Edited by ch958

Newport tried a few meetings with £10 admission and one did have a much better attendance ....but as pointed out the increase has to be much higher to cover the costs involved

As SS said, the overheads involved mean that speedway as we know it will never be a £10 sport.

That's just the business reality, Speedway will not survive as a £10 sport.

And that may be is the real problem, no good sticking your head in the sand, if the market will only pay / support £10 then the cost of the product needs to be trimmed, that is basic business logic! If speedway wants to survive, it has to cut costs as there isn't the appetite to pay for it at current prices.

I went to Somerset last Tuesday purely and simply as it was an attractive meeting at an affordable price, £20 for two. The normal £30 is something that I'd think twice at especially when you also have to factor in the other costs as well, parking, fuel, programme, eats, drinks.

• Like 2

And that may be is the real problem, no good sticking your head in the sand, if the market will only pay / support £10 then the cost of the product needs to be trimmed, that is basic business logic! If speedway wants to survive, it has to cut costs as there isn't the appetite to pay for it at current prices.

I went to Somerset last Tuesday purely and simply as it was an attractive meeting at an affordable price, £20 for two. The normal £30 is something that I'd think twice at especially when you also have to factor in the other costs as well, parking, fuel, programme, eats, drinks.

exactly my point - cheers

i said 3/400 not thousand

"bending the truth again" go to hell - i am not a liar - the other bozo was talking about conference football which is pro - where else did i bend the truth? bloody rich coming from someone who can't read properly

speedway is dying - especially at elite league level. I'm not bending the truth about that - just trying to suggest an answer

as for quoting football i already said you cant compare - football is popular speedway is not.

just stick your heads back in the sand i've given my opinion

I made a mistake and acknowledged that. your 3-400 is still not true though is it? the league average is 220. If you're ignoring the Conference (which is non-league football and it £17ish) then 300 is an excessive figure. and are we really going to take tips from sports teams attracting 300 on a good day?

Encourage people to attend more regularly via discount vouchers or similar, say, a certain reduction for every fifth meeting you attend. Top Supermarkets do promotions, so they must work or they simply want to repay valued customers.

Away support increases the atmosphere at tracks, so slash away support admission, which would help potential travellers with fuel costs etc

many promoters will not touch promotions, because they feel the fans will turn up anyway... so why lose money.

As I mentioned previously, a cost that could really be cut from a night's entertainment is the programme... it only need to be a race card, say about 50p worth.

Too many clubs nowadays feel the important part of their entire product is a nice glossy magazine that only the biggest of football clubs should produce. I know clubs survive on profits from programmes, but if a fan buying a programme, which he can’t afford, makes him stop attending, then it is negative. Speedway without a programme is not fun, and another three quid or something on top of your admission is asking too much sometimes.

Edited by moxey63

I made a mistake and acknowledged that. your 3-400 is still not true though is it? the league average is 220. If you're ignoring the Conference (which is non-league football and it £17ish) then 300 is an excessive figure. and are we really going to take tips from sports teams attracting 300 on a good day?

"take tips"

what the hell are you talking about?

by the way i watch Whitley Bay with between 4 and 600 others and what i'm saying is thats not a kick in the arse off a PL crowd where admission is double and I'm saying price should be a tenner, 12 tops because thats what the market level for a sport that attracts that number of people is. And the Bay don't fly their centre forward in from Scandinavia!

• Like 1

I think we are all getting a little hooked up on comparisions with a totally different sport.

With very little help towards answering this sports questions.

I saw, on a different thread, that Philip Rising was quoting a current promoter as saying that British Speedway was a £10 sport.

I just think that feels true.

Whether any form of product can be put together at that price point that still feels like something akin to, say, the Premier League.

I genuinely don't know.

But if it can't I dare say I will continue to pay £17 to see a £10 product, occasionally.

Every now any again I may go home thinking it was £17 well spent.

But more often I won't.

Is there a realistic future going on like this?

If the market will only pay £10 entry speedway has a real issue. Many costs are fixed and many are outside of the sports control. Add in to this the winter clamour of supporters calling for promoters to get their hands in their pockets to pay for the better riders and all together you have a recipe for disaster.

In the USA they are doing some interesting work on the price elasticity of demand for team sports http://thesportseconomist.com/labels/Elasticity%20of%20demand.htm

• Like 1

Seems, with the amount of clubs losing money each seasn, promoters still aren't charging what they need to break even. When they put up admission, it causes another couple of fans or so to stay away, and so the next season entrance fee rises, causing another handful of fans stay away - either through financial stress or unwiling to pay the extra.

Not that it's all down to admission costs, a lot is to do with the entertainment value. Some matches I've withnessed I would not give five bob to watch.

Edited by moxey63