British Speedway Forum
Northern Exile

Swc, Event Two, King's Lynn 15/7

The question I ask

Regardless of the Edward Kennett selection, Did Team GB stand a chance of finishing ahead of Denmark?

The answer's no so Middlo has done the job he was expected to do.

To be honest anyone here could have gotten England a second place in that line up.

Yes England have a chance on Thursday.

Doubt that the replacements will be that effective but one never knows.

The US have 4th written all over them they were awful last night apart from Hancock.

I think Latvia can put enough points together for 3rd.

OZ are favourites but we might give them a match.

I do wish some of the youngsters showed more ambition, but i have to wonder whether the BSPA assist in pushing our future to the next level.

Of course they would find it hard to get top league berths in Poland and Sweden but there are other leagues in those countries where experience could be gained. Denmark is another league these boys should be trying out for. Young Aussies like Dyer are there.

People saying why are we going back to Barker and Bridger. Far as im aware they have only competed in the swc once the same as Cook, i remember Barker in particular being decent in a race off beating Crump along the way. Also we are forgetting Barker and Bridger are YOUNGER than the two they are replacing.

• Like 2

The logic is we could win the race off without him, with him we have no chance. He clearly hasnt the ability to mix it with the better riders

I agree it was a poor performance but to say he does not have the ability is way off the mark. He has been riding for only four years and made rapid progress. He is already the top rider in the PL and achieving a good EL CMA, that is proof of his ability.

The question here is do Team GB want to use riders who's performances have reached a plateau and who have already been tried and failed, or, do we accept we are not going to win anything this year and give the best of those riders who are still improving invaluable experience at this level. The latter choice is the only way forward.

As for Middleditch, it is not a question of the lack of strength in depth. He chose Kennett, who anyone with sense could see was out of form, in preference to the likes of King and Barker, A monumental error of judgement with the result everyone expected.

• Like 1

Didn't miss the point at all as I believe Middlo has always been inept at management & your above post is pretty much bang on.

What concerns me more is I'd read Tweets saying it was actually Morris that picked Kennett. Where on earth did those comments come from???

1, is that true?

2, if so, who actually is the TeamGB manager?

1. EK was 100% Middlo's pick

2. Phil Morris named as Manager as Middlo didn't attend FIM Accreditation

• Like 1

I agree it was a poor performance but to say he does not have the ability is way off the mark. He has been riding for only four years and made rapid progress. He is already the top rider in the PL and achieving a good EL CMA, that is proof of his ability.

The question here is do Team GB want to use riders who's performances have reached a plateau and who have already been tried and failed, or, do we accept we are not going to win anything this year and give the best of those riders who are still improving invaluable experience at this level. The latter choice is the only way forward.

As for Middleditch, it is not a question of the lack of strength in depth. He chose Kennett, who anyone with sense could see was out of form, in preference to the likes of King and Barker, A monumental error of judgement with the result everyone expected.

I agree with that, to say Cook is out of his depth was a bit harsh but he got himself in to decent positions and didn't seem to go through with the chances he had given himself. He had to be dropped but it won't be the last we hear of him in the world cup.

Kennett was a big mistake, i think Middlo picked him because he has the ability but hasn't shown it for a while and hoped he could but most people couldn't believe he had picked him and unfortunately it backfired.

In my view King should have rode and should ride in the race off but i can understand the reasons he has picked Bridger and i hope it works out this time.

The key mistake that Team GB made this time was to listen to the recommendations of Kennett's 'mentor' John Davis and EL Team Manager Rosco that Eddie would do a job at KL!!!! :wink: As for the team changes for the play-off, team spirit will be crucial (Woffy,Barker,Bridger?!) and I'm sure the Aussies will be delighted at the inclusion of Barker!! Team GB Manager Phil Morris (rather than Team Coach Middlo) will need all his 'skills' particularly against the Aussies, with an 'interest' in both camps!! :shock:

JUST to clarify the point (if anyone is interested) ... from this season national team managers have to have an FIM licence, obtainable for around £25 after attending a seminar. Neil had the chance to do so in Rugby but declined.

The reason that only FIM licence holders can hold the title of team manager is that should any disciplinary action be required they (as licence holders) can be held to account whereas they have no real authority over anyone without a licence. Also, only FIM licence holders can make official protests or attend any subsequent Jury meeting, etc.

The TV graphics people needed an alternative title for Neil when it came to nominating riders for the last round of heats and it was decided to call him 'coach.'

So Middlo couldn't even be arsed to get the proper paperwork to be manager? How does he still have the job starman?

JUST to clarify the point (if anyone is interested) ... from this season national team managers have to have an FIM licence, obtainable for around £25 after attending a seminar. Neil had the chance to do so in Rugby but declined.

The reason that only FIM licence holders can hold the title of team manager is that should any disciplinary action be required they (as licence holders) can be held to account whereas they have no real authority over anyone without a licence. Also, only FIM licence holders can make official protests or attend any subsequent Jury meeting, etc.

The TV graphics people needed an alternative title for Neil when it came to nominating riders for the last round of heats and it was decided to call him 'coach.'

Based off his rider selection and rider motivation skills over the last couple of years, if he could not obtain the right license then I am afraid trhe BSPA should look for other options.

• Like 2

Do any of you think British up and coming riders get to a comfortable stage (a team place in the lower order in the elite league, and a secure heat leading role in the premier league) & then stop........ developing? Almost get stuck in a comfort zone? Winning regular races in prem league, and happy to be getting 5-6 points in the elite league in supporting roles to the better foreign riders... so much so, that any chance of getting better goes out the proverbial window.. With not competing abroad in league racing where they may get the chance to race against the top riders and get better... maybe its a cost thing, or lack of ambition, or its just a job thing....?

Do Poles, Danes etc.. ride in 2 leagues in there own country/domestic set up? Or do these country's not have an elite/prem, double up/down chance?

I don't think you're far off the money with this suggestion.

Consider Sweden who in the last few years allowed their top riders to ride in their lower league, how their stock has fallen. This is not based on their performance last night, but look at the SGP performances of their top riders and they as a country are certainly on a downward spiral.

There needs to be a clearly defined path for riders to take and progress forward. Arriving in a comfort zone and being allowed/encouraged to remain there needs to be consigned to the bin. We have had a batch of riders come over from moto-x who have progressed rapidly and we need to keep them moving upwards as far as their ability can take them.

Rico :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Actually, I think many people would have been interested before now.

Enough interest even to report it in a Magazine.

Or did I miss it?

So Middlo couldn't even be arsed to get the proper paperwork to be manager? How does he still have the job starman?

Perhaps he just thought it wasn't needed as his able assistant already had it.

Have any of you guys actually spoken to Middlo, He's a nice guy.

What does being a nice guy have to do with anything?
  • Like 1