British Speedway Forum

However, I suspect that there might be a little bit of complacency coming into the sport when it comes to air fences. I wasn't at Coventry on Friday but, if reports that I have read are accurate, Chris Holder's bike lifted the air fence and he hit a very solid object behind the air fence...It almost seems like the lessons of the earlier eras have been forgotten as much more trust is placed in the air fences. The air fences are great when they catch a rider, but if they are moved out of the way by the bike then they are worth nothing and what is behind them needs to be carefully considered....You can't just have a solid wall behind an air fence and think that everything is fine because the air fence is there....

Some of the vertical supports. like girders, that lurk behind some air fences look lethal.

The lifting of an airfence by the first contact can leave these obstacles exposed for the secondary impact of one or more men.

The constant back slapping everyone does about airfences has always made me a little uneasy whenever you see accident were the ATB as been massively dislodged, exposing these ugly looking posts.

What are the rules now that deal with this.

Edited by Grand Central

Ohhh...,I have to ask...What WAS the year that was the worst for injuries since the internet began? It seems like you maybe have the stats to back up the claim that this isn't :P

Having jokingly said that, I do know what you mean....and I wonder if there ARE any stats recorded by the SCB/BSPA. It seems like something that they maybe should keep track of.

There was a period from the mid 80's to mid 90's where almost every World Champion suffered a nasty back/neck injury in their career, which was obviously not good for the sport and that has not been seen since then...There was also a little spate of deaths around the same period which, thankfully, hasn't been seen again in UK speedway...So some things have certainly improved since that era....

However, I suspect that there might be a little bit of complacency coming into the sport when it comes to air fences. I wasn't at Coventry on Friday but, if reports that I have read are accurate, Chris Holder's bike lifted the air fence and he hit a very solid object behind the air fence...It almost seems like the lessons of the earlier eras have been forgotten as much more trust is placed in the air fences. The air fences are great when they catch a rider, but if they are moved out of the way by the bike then they are worth nothing and what is behind them needs to be carefully considered....You can't just have a solid wall behind an air fence and think that everything is fine because the air fence is there....

Weren't the back protectors introduced around that time?

Some of the vertical supports. like girders, that lurk behind some air fences look lethal.

The lifting of an airfence by the first contact can leave these obstacles exposed for the secondary impact of one or more men.

The constant back slapping everyone does about airfences has always made me a little uneasy whenever you see accident were the ATB as been massively dislodged, exposing these ugly looking posts.

What are the rules now that deal with this.

WITH the FIM. There are strict guidelines about air-fences but are they being adhered to? Sloppy workmanship, human error, poor maintenance can all be factors in negating their effectiveness. Chris Holder is entitled to ask the question: why wasn't he properly protected when judging by accounts from people at Brandon(and his own) he could and should have got away with far less severe injuries.

this problem has been around since the invention of air fences (remember luke priest at stoke) .the problem is more whats behind the air fence. if chris holders acident happend at wolves even with the air fence lifting the fence behind is mesh with no posts held by wires. the air fence has been an excuse for promotors to install concrete barriers for stock cars and i said this for a few years its a disaster waiting to happen. air/foam fences give 100% protection 95% of the time and when 4% happens and the air fence isnt effective the barrier behind should be . the other 1% is the accident that happens where no amount of safety measures would of made a difference because motorbike are dangerous by their very nature

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 5

long strokes?

I prefere a mix of long and short strokes!! :P

on the subject number of injuries .im not sure if there is more or not .the number of absent riders is up but most are through a crazy ruled sport not injuries and a lot of injuries happen abroad and then the rider misses a british match so we think another injury to the list but thats really because riders ride almost everday all over europe and years ago they only rode a couple of days a week. but on average a rider will get 1 injury per year

All the talk of long stroke / short stroke / silencers / 400cc etc can be overcome by simply having a different rear tyre homologated ?

If the tread pattern is right it doesn't matter how much tuning etc you pay out for the speed on the bike will be limited by tyre adhesion

No extra cost to the riders, less wear and tear on engines, slower speeds

Surely that line is worth looking into ?

• Like 2

WITH the FIM. There are strict guidelines about air-fences but are they being adhered to? Sloppy workmanship, human error, poor maintenance can all be factors in negating their effectiveness. Chris Holder is entitled to ask the question: why wasn't he properly protected when judging by accounts from people at Brandon(and his own) he could and should have got away with far less severe injuries.

Nothing to disagree with here.

Of course all those things matter.

But my question was more specifically aimed at just what is allowed immediately behind an airfence.

As DeanMachine has pointed out some tracks seem to be just putting the airfence infront of the girders/suspension wires of a Stock Car track.

Surely that is not safe. Whatever the workmanship.

But is it deemed OK by the authorities?

• Like 1

I think that the air fence could have a plastic layer attached to the bottom that then has shale heaped on it to stop it lifting. Then if it had proper kickboards attached there should never be a problem with riders going underneath, the kickboards would also prevent riders getting 'pulled in' to the fence and give them a chance of bouncing off and carrying on.

I was at Rye House today and saw Adam Kirby go through the fence twice at speed, walk away and carry on riding. Had that been anywhere else, air fence or not, I very much doubt that he would have got away with the same thing. If they force Rye to install an air fence it will be criminal.

• Like 1

:

Many nasty injuries since the new silencers... Coincidental??.... Or not??

So what have the new silencers actually done for speedway ?

1:Increased costs: Costs have increased including the numbers of services required and now compulsory heat shields to prevent burns

2 Increased risks for riders :Bikes are now more unpredictable and difficult to control increasing risks to riders(Kelvin Tatums view)

3 More injuries: More riders are suffering injuries,particularly incidents where riders are suffering serious injuries falling off with no-one else involved (Stead

Lindgren recently)

4 Restricted track preparation;The days of tracks heavy with dirt are things of the past as they are unrideable with the current silencers.Preparing the

perfect racing circuit has become even more of a science.

5 No atmosphere at tracks;Since the new silencers came into effect the atmosphere at speedway tracks is non existent.The removal of the sound of the

has taken the atmosphere and sucked the soul out of the sport.

6 Reduced entertainment:The speedway at smaller tracks,where throttle control is key is not a patch on what it used to be,the outside pass has become the

exception rather than the norm.

7 Financial Downward Spiral:Sure speedway may have been in decline for many years but that decline has accelerated in the last 3 years.In the past

successful teams used to make money,struggling teams used to lose money,you took the rough with the smooth. We are now in a position where

"NOBODY MAKES ANY MONEY"

Sure these are my own views and I prepare myself to be shot down and my argument pulled apart by many on this forum; Thats Fine

Are all the points I've listed worth giving in for just to appease the environmentalists,the way the world works now this wont be the last change the sport

has to go through !,

• Like 1

Weren't the back protectors introduced around that time?

Foam type back protectors - designed for jockeys - where available 1970.

Many nasty injuries since the new silencers... Coincidental??.... Or not??

Interesting to note Kelvin's Tatum commentary last night on the difficulty riders are having controlling their machines with the new silencers.2nd time in a week Kelvin has mentioned this,last night it was after the fall suffered by Rohan Tungate.It may only be one voice but someone of Kelvins experience and technical knowledge should not be ignored.If the risks to rider safety are increased this issue needs to be addressed.

Interesting to note Kelvin's Tatum commentary last night on the difficulty riders are having controlling their machines with the new silencers.2nd time in a week Kelvin has mentioned this,last night it was after the fall suffered by Rohan Tungate.It may only be one voice but someone of Kelvins experience and technical knowledge should not be ignored.If the risks to rider safety are increased this issue needs to be addressed.

A few in the know reckon the rear tyres nowadays are dangerous also... And a big problem.

Why don't the few in the know do something about it, start the call rolling so to speak??

Why don't the few in the know do something about it, start the call rolling so to speak??

because unfortunatly the few in the "havent got a bloody clue" call the shots
  • Like 1