British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

World Cup Race Off - 18th July 2013

Please re-read my post re. Screen and Loram, I acknowledged the lack of management experience and suggested 'a role for them within the structure', I most certainly did not suggest them as Team GB manager.

By the way, didn't Billy Hamill seem to get his team motivated and pulling in the same direction.........

Yes fair enough., I see that.

The lads you mention were great at what they did.

But I genuinely don't see an ounce of help they could offer.

Top ex-riders don't always move to good communicators, or Managers.

Joe and Gary are not good at motivational speaking really are they?

Individual world titles, yes.

But not one successful Team GB year to look back on for any of them.

Most of the WTC teams they were involved in as riders were disappointing and much maligned.

Remember that embarrassing 93 final at Coventry.

To be honest Tatum would be a better ex-rider to go for.

Edited by Grand Central

To be honest Tatum would be a better ex-rider to go for.

And tell us all what Tatum would do differently to what is being done now with the riders at Neils disposal??

Edited by Starman2006

I would beg forgiveness and.get Rob Lyon back on board.

Let him carry out his vision.

• Like 4

By Middlos standards he did an ok job tonight. The riders let him down, every one of them. How many lasts has Tai had in the GPs? That last was pretty big in the scheme of things. Why is Doyle and Woodward could step it up couldn't Bridger and Barker?

Even I think Middlo was pissing in the wind!

Let's start again, at the bottom. Let have a test series against the Swedes, the Russians, the Latvians. Frankly the Germans, Finns and Norweigans. idiot clashing with EL, Poland, Sweden etc. We need to get our riders riding abroad. Get rid of doubling up after a season it's not helping. It's allowed Barker and Cook to be complaisant.

As for Havvy. HaHaHa. Rob Lyon and Phil Morris.

Edited by SCB

And tell us all what Tatum would do differently to what is being done now with the riders at Neils disposal??

No I won't .

As I don't think I ever offered any opinion whatsoever on that matter.

That is a construct of your own making.

Difficult for some of us though it may be.

I think with a litlle counselling we will have to get used to Team GB without Neil.

He must be allowed to move away.

There is nothing more he can or could do.

Bit oversensitive there if you don't mind me saying Neil. The way I saw it he was using Tatum as an alternative to Screen or Havvy ey al, he's right as well imo.

But you probably knew that eh...

Just got what we deserved in the end nothing absolutely pathetic! I don't care if you had King and Nicholls in so maybe we'd have won it and got through to the final then been embarrassed in the final like usual and you would've had people on complaining you don't give the kids a chance... cant win. The whole structure of English speedway needs completely restructuring until then we will be embarrassing in world cups etc. Next year go with Woffy, Worrall, Cook and Birks/Lambert someone like this the danes tried and to be honest we cant do as bad as we have this year or previous years

I said after the KL round on Monday things must be bad if people wanted barker to ride in Prague...getting someone in who'll "give it his all" is all well and good, but without any refinement you'll get nowhere on the big stage. It was incredible in those few hours after the second round how many people just completely forgot how poor Barker (and Bridger) are on the international circuits. I can't remember either of them doing anything of note in any meetings on the continent. I wasn't completely surprised to see how bad we were.

Sure, at somewhere like any of the midlands tracks those 4 would have probably been taking the Aussies to a last heat decider with the yanks and Latvians somewhere adrift, but on the continent, we are generally absolutely awful. We've no experience on these big, flat slick tracks. Tai seems to have mastered it, Nicholls had it more or less and Harris in flashes (in the past) did and it was Rico's ace up his sleeve most of the time, from a British perspective.

People can bang on about opportunities in the British leagues for British riders till your ears bleed, to an extent they are right, but if they are to be expected to perform on the world stage, they need to be practicing and racing on the continent continually. They can look great banging in the points on the heinz variety tracks in the UK, but show them somewhere big and open with a few European juniors and they're completely ruined.

Our boys turn up there without a clue how to set up for the tracks and conditions, can't gate and then get the riding style completely wrong. Bridger and Barker are kicking out and all over the bike, wrestling it like its a greasy weasel, as if the dirt is a foot deep with ruts and holes all over the place, whilst all the other riders let the bike flow and keep a smooth line on the slick, sweeping curves, keeping momentum up and the bike pointing forward.

People are surprised the Latvians did so well...tracks like that are all they know though! Some have said that some promoters will be getting them in their phone books to get over here. You'd be a fool to think they'd ride like that the instant you get them over here though. Most tracks here would be completely alien to them. Sure a couple might get the hang of them after a while, but it won't matter much to them because they'll be earning the big money and growing their presence on the world stage on the tracks in Europe.

Yes we can blood through some talent in the British league, but don't expect them to turn world class overnight by just staying here.

Edited by Speedy swindon pete
  • Like 2

By Middlos standards he did an ok job tonight. The riders let him down, every one of them. How many lasts has Tai had in the GPs? That last was pretty big in the scheme of things. Why is Doyle and Woodward could step it up couldn't Bridger and Barker?

Even I think Middlo was pissing in the wind!

Let's start again, at the bottom. Let have a test series against the Swedes, the Russians, the Latvians. Frankly the Germans, Finns and Norweigans. idiot clashing with EL, Poland, Sweden etc. We need to get our riders riding abroad. Get rid of doubling up after a season it's not helping. It's allowed Barker and Cook to be complaisant.

As for Havvy. HaHaHa. Rob Lyon and Phil Morris.

Also add to the above if a new tv contract is negotiated that a percentage of the income is kept back to purchase or rent a track where the youngsters can learn, have leagues for youngsters as they do abroad, pay for the likes of Loram etc to help with the younger riders to race against youngsters from abroad in mini test matches both here and abroad on the big European tracks as they become more experienced.

The series that is taking place between GB and Aus with pl riders is a start, but there needs to be a lot more done. Unfortunately the Sky money does not seem to have been spent wisely and I do not know if the BSPA is the right organisation to set something up as their record to date has not been good.

It may be too late to bring back test matches for established riders with all the teams they ride for and the GPs, but they could do it for the youngsters, if an income stream to pay for it can be secured.

Edited by A ORLOV

Whoever we put in isn't up to the task in all honesty, and I doubt chucking in some youngsters is the answer either, ok they haven't let us down before, but do you see anything in them to suggest they are Grand Prix material ?.

I would suggest steps to nuture and develop some decent talent after 10 years or so, but have zero faith in our promoters and associations to actually implement such things if it doesn't offer an instant fix to their rider and financial issues.

British Speedway is in dire straights currently, lack of money, lack and talent and lack of interest, and it's a vicious circle that's extremely difficult to fix one of those problems without having the others available.

• Like 1

Not get beat by USA.
  • Like 1

Latvia, a country with only one speedway track but with a will to win and a youth development program that is producing results.

GB with it's "Elite" League, "Premier" League and National League and a population 10 times bigger and we get well and truly stuffed.

When this Sky deal comes to an end we need a Day Zero approach to the sport in this country.

• Like 5

Latvia, a country with only one speedway track but with a will to win and a youth development program that is producing results.

GB with it's "Elite" League, "Premier" League and National League and a population 10 times bigger and we get well and truly stuffed.

When this Sky deal comes to an end we need a Day Zero approach to the sport in this country.

Well and truly stuffed? We got beat. narrowly, not stuffed.

Is it just me or did anyone else think that we should have given Worral a chance at Kings Lynn? Granted he is VERY inexperienced at this level, but Lynn is his home track. Couldn't have done much worse than Kennett did.

Also, Please Middlo (or whoever ends up as GB team manager next year) - give some of our younger riders a go. At least then if it goes ** up it's because we're chucking our youth in at the deep end to give them experience at this level.