British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

The adverts have been excellent but still VERY urgently needed is a Press Release FULLY detailing an agenda for Sunday March 12. Just what organisation is to be in place to ensure the event is a success?

I have no idea what is planned but there is usually a large unused space right outside where the current turnstyles are, that is an ideal spot for a pre meeting gazebo and display of bikes n body colours. Riders meet n greet type thing.

Obviously the on track activities well be entirely dependent on the smooth running of the prior car races and how much time they can allow the Dons without risking the Curfew time.

One bit of advice I would say is anyone considering going, try and arrive early.

Whilst not the most glamorous meeting it is the only non ticket event left so I expect it to be busy. whilst I doubt it will be a lock out, get there early just incase (about 3pm is spot on as market will be cleared by then)

• Like 1

I have no idea what is planned but there is usually a large unused space right outside where the current turnstyles are, that is an ideal spot for a pre meeting gazebo and display of bikes n body colours. Riders meet n greet type thing.

Obviously the on track activities well be entirely dependent on the smooth running of the prior car races and how much time they can allow the Dons without risking the Curfew time.

One bit of advice I would say is anyone considering going, try and arrive early.

Whilst not the most glamorous meeting it is the only non ticket event left so I expect it to be busy. whilst I doubt it will be a lock out, get there early just incase (about 3pm is spot on as market will be cleared by then)

Surely, that is now academic, even if they run the event until 4 in the morning, the council/authorities can't do a lot!

• Like 2

16996266_10154798794490660_4200657126515

The adverts have been excellent but still VERY urgently needed is a Press Release FULLY detailing an agenda for Sunday March 12. Just what organisation is to be in place to ensure the event is a success?

I could always ask my cousin,Martin Elliot,if he knows more,though i am not sure why it is very urgent for you to know.Are you planning on taking a last trip to the track?I'll ask him to get his skates on with an answer if so :P

• Like 1

WIMBLEDON STADIUM MARCH 12 2017

Countdown to the Final Farewell..........from Jon Stevens, event organiser

Latest News:

TheDonsDen Tent will be at Wimbledon Stadium from 3:30pm onwards. We will be situated past the old pit bend by the entrance to the stadium

Please be reminded admission into the stadium is now via the old back straight (Mick the Miller stand).

We will have Speedway bikes on display dating from 1929 up until modern era. You will get an opportunity to hear these bikes starting from 4:30pm onwards prior to the start of the stockcar meeting at 5:30pm.

You can purchase /pick up (for pre-orders) any items from the DonsDen stall inside on the ground floor Grandstand.

You will see the DonsDen area along the top tables in the Grandstand. Please go along and grab an autograph, photo with the Dons Riders there. Not all riders will be on parade.

Sit back enjoy the stockcar action..... brace yourself for that iconic Blaze Away tune when the sound and smell of Speedway Machines with riders mounted on them will be heard roaring from the pit bend tunnel and onto the track for the last four laps.

Admission prices can be found below or if you require further information please follow the link below;

Spedeworth Motorsports
NB: While we take all possible care in compiling this list we cannot be held responsible for the non-appearance of an individual driver!
WWW.SPEDEWORTH.CO.UK

W

SPEDEWORTH.CO.UK
Edited by Guest

Forwarded message:

:::::

Save Wimbledon Stadium Action Group

Like Page

7 hrs ·

SOMETHING VERY SPECIAL THIS SUNDAY AT WIMBLEDON.

In addition to the usual exciting four formula Stock car racing, this Sunday we are extremely pleased to announce a very special event in association with our friend Jon Stevens at The Dons Den.

As well as the superb Classic Hot Rods, Back To Basics Unlimited Bangers, Stock Rods and Junior Rods, classic Speedway bikes return to Plough Lane for the first time since 2005.

A one-off Farewell Reunion will be taking place, featuring some of the biggest names from the illustrious history of the Wimbledon Dons Speedway team.

Come along and meet some former stars of the sport such as former World No.2 Gordon Kennett and Swedish International Bo Jansson amongst many others.

Bikes will be gathered just past the old pit bend by the entrance to the stadium from 3:30 and fired up from 4:30pm. The plan is then for the bikes to appear on track mid way through the stock car meeting.

More details of who will be appearing can be found on 'The Dons Den' Facebook page.

Forwarded message:

Urgent update. The start time for the stockcars has been brought forward to 5:10pm. Please ensure you arrive early enough to avoid disappointment. The speedway bike warm up will now take place at the slightly earlier time of 4pm.

You might have to order that taxi for a bit earlier gustix?

Edited by iris123

Because of its location, those in the know suggest that stockcars at Wimbledon has a very short shelf life. Since the introduction of the London Emissions Zone, there has been a steady decline in the numbers of drivers booking in, as costs are making it prohibitive.

Indeed it's been suggested that the stadium improvements at Foxhall have been done to accommodate more car racing when Spedeworth pull the plug at Plough Lane.

On a personal level I would love to see AFC Wimbledon playing again at Plough Lane, which would be a fantastic reward for those loyal Dons fans.

How interesting to see your prediction of nearly four years ago now look to be accurate Brujas Espanolas. The last motor sport event at Wimbledon Stadium is on Sunday, March 26, 2017.

Edited by Guest

There is a video I ve shared on my Facebook wall with the bikes getting some sideways action tonight.

Mine facebook name is Ben Teaboy Clifton

All credit to Jon Stevens for organising today's activities at Plough Lane. It was very bittersweet to see speedway bikes return to Wimbledon Stadium after a 12 year absence knowing that the grand old venue will be razed to the ground in a matter of weeks.

Gordon Kennett had the honour of winning the demonstration race and afterwards spoke very eloquently about getting the chance to ride on one of his favourite tracks one final time.

Dons legends Roger Johns and Andy Grahame made the trip back to SW19 in a non-riding capacity, whilst Mark Burrows, Terry Mussett and Gary Sweet were amongst those to take to the circuit for the ten minute demonstration.

All in all, an enjoyable evening at one of the sports most famous tracks.

Forwarded message from Derek Barclay

3 hrs ·
Wimbledon Speedway reunion and here I am with my all time favourite rider and good mate, the great Buzz Burrows!! — attending Classic Hot Rods. English Series Round One. The London Championship at Wimbledon Raceway.

17264205_435235700149291_198436098062755

The Wimbledon Reunion farewell gathering March 12, 2017. A list of names of those in the photo would be appreciated please. Photo by GEOFF YOUNG.

17212190_1887377191506598_37051460844087
Edited by Guest

Well done to Jon Stevens and everyone involved in organising yesterday's Dons farewell at the stadium. It was great to see so many former Plough Lane heroes back at Wimbledon and the demonstration ride was a fitting way to mark speedway's history in SW17. Well presented and very enjoyable. Some of the guys looked like they could still do a job for a current team! Gordon Kennett especially was quick and he and others even managed to get a slide on despite the tarmac surface. A good article about the Dons in the programme too. Sadness at seeing the stadium in such decline was far outweighed by the pleasure of seeing, hearing and smelling the bikes there again. I even enjoyed the car racing more than I expected! Thanks to all concerned for a well-planned and executed event.

• Like 1