British Speedway Forum

Why have the final in Czech republic if your relying on Polish fans to fill the venue not the home fans.Would have been more sensible to seed the Poles to the final not the czech's .Seems the Poles are a little bit fickle,wont support the race off if their team aren't in,wont travel if Gollob's not riding because their team might not win,what was the excuse in Czestochowa this year when their team were guaranteed a win and they still didn't show

WOULD imagine that the postponement had a lot to do with it ... and no Gollob or indeed Sayfutdinov and Laguta who, says the promoter, are even more popular there.

If calling something something else was all that was wrong with speedway then there is nothing at all to worry about in 2014.

Actually I do think a lot of speedway problems are down to marketing and branding. These things are important, they're multi-billion £/$ industries. Pschology plays a big part in how you perceive things.

WOULD imagine that the postponement had a lot to do with it ... and no Gollob or indeed Sayfutdinov and Laguta who, says the promoter, are even more popular there.

OK Gollob stopped a few Poles going (have the Poles watched much of Gollob at the Marketta?) but I doubt the average man on the Prague streets knows who the hell Sayfutdinov and the Lagutas are!

Actually I do think a lot of speedway problems are down to marketing and branding. These things are important, they're multi-billion £/$ industries. Pschology plays a big part in how you perceive things.

OK Gollob stopped a few Poles going (have the Poles watched much of Gollob at the Marketta?) but I doubt the average man on the Prague streets knows who the hell Sayfutdinov and the Lagutas are!

WAS answering the question about poor attendance at Czestochowa not Prague ... with regard to Final attendance, Polish journos told us that many people decided not to travel because they didn't think they could win without Gollob. Going over old ground here... and incidentaly Gollob has twice won in Prague.

In the good old days that you talk about any rider worth his salt raced in the UK but that is no longer the case and has very little to do with the GP.

It may well be no longer the case, but the SGP taking prime days away from the British leagues undoubtedly didn't help. Yes, British speedway was in decline before the SGP came along, but the SGP has hastened the outflux of riders over the past 10 years.

I too came to realise that the one off World Final was dying on its feet with venues like Pocking and Vojens hosting the showpiece event.

Yes, but it could equally be argued that the World Final was dying on its feet precisely because it was being held in venues like Pocking and Vojens. Attendances in places like Munich, Gothenburg and Wroclaw held up pretty well even in the latter years of the World Final, and had somewhere like the Millennium Stadium been available at the time, it might have been a different story. Similarly, attendance at the early GPs held in places like Abensburg were pretty awful too, and frankly still are at some of the minor GP venues today.

Personally I think some sort of GP series was inevitable and was not necessarily a bad thing for the sport. However, it was established in completely the wrong manner with no benefit accruing back to the domestic competitions that provide the riders (and in the case of the British leagues abdicate their prime race days), nor indeed directly to the riders taking part.

The converse example is cricket whereby the county teams totally play second fiddle to the England cricket team these days, but in return they share in the proceeds of international matches (to the tune of something like 2 million quid each per year). Okay, speedway didn't have, and probably never will have the leverage that cricket has, but distributing a 3 or 4 million quid annual surplus amongst the countries running professional speedway would still amount to a useful sum.

The strange thing in 2013 is that BSI must have expected a whole load of masochistic Czechs to turn up for some form of national public humiliation.

Did they really care?

Not sure how the SWC is actually organised compared to the GPs, but maybe the Czechs underwrote any losses.

THE TV companies like the whole Joker deal ... FACT. Just as Sky like the double-points tac.

They still televise sports that aren't especially telegenic though. Who in the modern world would have come-up with a sport that may or may not last five days, that has bizarre and arcane rules, and which frequently gets rained off, yet Sky and other companies devote whole channels to the coverage of cricket.

Is the Joker really a prerequisite to the televisiig of speedway? :blink:

It may well be no longer the case, but the SGP taking prime days away from the British leagues undoubtedly didn't help. Yes, British speedway was in decline before the SGP came along, but the SGP has hastened the outflux of riders over the past 10 years.

Yes, but it could equally be argued that the World Final was dying on its feet precisely because it was being held in venues like Pocking and Vojens. Attendances in places like Munich, Gothenburg and Wroclaw held up pretty well even in the latter years of the World Final, and had somewhere like the Millennium Stadium been available at the time, it might have been a different story. Similarly, attendance at the early GPs held in places like Abensburg were pretty awful too, and frankly still are at some of the minor GP venues today.

Personally I think some sort of GP series was inevitable and was not necessarily a bad thing for the sport. However, it was established in completely the wrong manner with no benefit accruing back to the domestic competitions that provide the riders (and in the case of the British leagues abdicate their prime race days), nor indeed directly to the riders taking part.

The converse example is cricket whereby the county teams totally play second fiddle to the England cricket team these days, but in return they share in the proceeds of international matches (to the tune of something like 2 million quid each per year). Okay, speedway didn't have, and probably never will have the leverage that cricket has, but distributing a 3 or 4 million quid annual surplus amongst the countries running professional speedway would still amount to a useful sum.

Did they really care?

Not sure how the SWC is actually organised compared to the GPs, but maybe the Czechs underwrote any losses.

One of the best posts ever! do i care about the GP series no not if it has a influence on the longterm future of league racing.I think now we are seeing the affect everything is geared towards the GP series why? totally screwed everything up in my opinion i will acknowledge that the series has took the sport forward but overall the sport is in a crisis Again.!

Reading that numbers of Polish fans "boycotted" the World Cup because of Gollob withdrawing / being "rested" / throwing his toys out of the pram must be rather worrying for not just Polish speedway, but the FIM too.

The guy is 42, for heavens sake, and can't turn on the "class act" whenever he feels like it anymore. He's even been toying with moto-cross events this year. Surely his fans are going to HAVE to accept that his retirement is just around the corner?

Yes, he's put thousands of bums on seats over the years, but sadly the likes of Hampel, Janowski etc don't appear to have the same kind of cult following.

No doubt the Polish league will weather the storm of Gollob's retirement, but I'm not sure that the same will apply to the crowd levels at GP's and the World Cup.

Did they really care?

THE other way round...

Dont think it is a popular event anymore. Run it maybe every 2 years and bring some new ideas to the table with it ?

Doudt Monster that inpressed with it as branded as there event, then again they got it for free along with the gp series so not to bad a deal :-)

Why not Speedway World Cup one year and a Speedway World Best Pairs the next and so on? Alternate years - I think that would be good. :t::approve:

Thoughts anyone? :blink:

• Like 1

Doudt Monster that inpressed with it as branded as there event, then again they got it for free along with the gp series so not to bad a deal :-)

So they're not paying anything to be associated with the SGP series then (as suspected)?

Dont think it is a popular event anymore. Run it maybe every 2 years and bring some new ideas to the table with it ?

PROVES just how little you know ...

So they're not paying anything to be associated with the SGP series then (as suspected)?

SURELY you don't take anything The Don't Know posts seriously?

• Like 1

PROVES just how little you know ...

SURELY you don't take anything The Don't Know posts seriously?

Nice one Philip. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I suspect he meant "free with the SGP" in the context of pay for the SGP and the SWC is thrown in FOC. Whether that is true or not I have no idea.

Edited by Oldace

I suspect he meant "free with the SGP" in the context of pay for the SGP and the SWC is thrown in FOC.

Or free as in they don't pay anything...

I don't know, but unusually for sponsorship deals, no actual amounts have been mentioned and it was suggested that Monster might be providing promotion in kind.