British Speedway Forum
Ipswich Jules

Ipswich V Edinburgh 25/7/13

What about an apology to the Referee after the abuse he got, that makes two.

Can Foxhall stadium have their heater back too?

What did he say to the Ref? What did Barker say to the Ref?

Note: Facts only please!

You must have missed that both of them were fined for the altercation in the pits. Cook was ejected from the meeting for what occured behind closed doors in a meeting with the ref (and others).

You must have missed that both of them were fined for the altercation in the pits. Cook was ejected from the meeting for what occured behind closed doors in a meeting with the ref (and others).

Wrong.

Cook was officially removed from the meeting for ungentlemanly and violent conduct as was announced over the tannoy. So unless he assaulted the referee, it must've been for the altercation in the pits.

I found this whole episode so very sad for the sport i love

i have met both people involved found one pleasant and kind the other a dickhead - and i am guessing its not the way round people would think

Right from the childish tweets after the WC qualifying round thru to this ..its pathetic

so many people say ahh it happens a lot .. well it shouldnt happen a lot ..and doesnt happen a lot in other sports

i really fear for speedway in this country if this is the level of proffessionalism and intelligence some of our your riders have ..Dakota north and some others tweets are hugely embarassing and bring the sport into disrepute

i have long thought speedway has a real issue with some people riders and fans who seem to treat it as a war .. the reality is league speedway in this country is anything but teams made up of guest riders from other clubs riding at 70% most of the time and lots of kids (the future) watch it

GP speedway is another level completely

i find it so sad we seems to have riders who have achieved nothing in this sport at the top level refer to themselves as star !

sad pathetic and embarassing

• Like 4

Wrong.

Cook was officially removed from the meeting for ungentlemanly and violent conduct as was announced over the tannoy. So unless he assaulted the referee, it must've been for the altercation in the pits.

I dont know one way or the other Nutz but I interpret that differently - if as has been said he tore a heater off the wall or did any other material damage and swore vehemently and the referee in the closed doors meeting I dont see how you say thats not ungentlemanly and violent - I dont think you have to actually assault a person to be classed as violent. Sounds ungentlemanly and violent to me even though it wasnt on track, it was still within the confines of the meeting surely? Maybe Im wrong but thats just my interpretation

• Like 6

And when they grant your visa application back to your own little world, be sure to catch the first available flight!!!

Cook reacted to provocation like any of us would. I'm not saying it's right, Its not. And if he's reacted sufficiently angry then the ref has done the right thing to stop anything worse possibly happening on the track.

If this had have been rugby, both would've been removed from the meeting which is what should have happened here. Even Ipswich fans we talked to last night said that he's had a situation coming to him like this for a while - so when you're own are saying it, then it tells a story.

Cook has issued an apology to all concerned apart from one person which I'm pleased about. Now lets see if Barker can string two words together and issue something of his own? I doubt it... Truth hurts doesn't it.

What did he say to the Ref? What did Barker say to the Ref?

Note: Facts only please!

Facts are difficult as there were only three people in the room where the incident occurred.

However from those that I have spoken to who were in earshot, suggest it was Cook's voice was the one the could be heard. Not sure exactly what was said....although he was "emotional" suggesting he was having no LUCK as a result of NatWest being unhelpful bunch of BANKERS, and was off tho relax on the Cam in a PUNT.

Of course it could all be a wicked conspiracy cooked (excuse the pun) up between Messrs Barker & Holt to discredit Cook.

The facts are that the referee dealt with the initial incident, and correctly punished both riders accordingly. Now if Cook had an IQ slightly above that of a retarded hedgehog, he would have listened to what the referee had to say. The appropriate response would have been "Yes Sir", "Sorry Sir", "Won't happen again Sir". Instead he goes off on one, and gets himself disqualified from the meeting. Now Barker (whom I'm no particular fan of) at least had the good sense to keep his gob shut, and as result his team are now in the final in convincing style.

To draw a simple analogy let's say you get involved in an altercation outside a pub. A police officer witnesses the whole affair, and pulls you and the other party aside for "a natter". He says he going to issue a fixed penalty notice and caution both of you. At that news you go off on start swearing and in a fit of temper throw a dustbin to the ground.

Can you really be surprised that the other fella is off home, whilst you spend the night in the cells?

I've no idea if Cook is an imbecile or has anger management issues. Either way an individual who can't control his behaviour, is hardly the sort of bloke you want in charge of a 500cc motorcycle with no brakes in the company of others. Hopefully a suspension until the end of the season will allow him to reflect on his issues / demons.

Wrong.

Swearing and pulling a heater off the wall can easily be described (by most right thinking people anyway) as ungentlemanly and violent conduct.

Edited by Brujas Espanolas
  • Like 2

Wrong.

Wrong, Cook wouldn't take the punishment metered to him, ie £300 fine which they both got. Barker accepted this, Cook didn't then, proceeded to carry out criminal damage. Fact!!

• Like 2

I found this whole episode so very sad for the sport i love
Sad? It's brilliant! Everyone loves a bit of agro. I bet you're one of the people who bemoans the lack of characters left in the sport.

The sport should be using this to sell itself not the usual sweep it under the carpet and a few people on the internet get all high and mighty about it!

Whilst Cook has issued a statement on his own site, Barker has tweeted: @benbarker88: Everyone can hear my version of the events in The Sun newspaper tomorrow #TheSun

He really makes a pratt of himself. How does he feel he is going to help speedway by going to a seedy newspaper thats always full of lies and letting everybody know how violent our family sport can be?

And he wonders why hes so disliked

• Like 1

Sad? It's brilliant! Everyone loves a bit of agro. I bet you're one of the people who bemoans the lack of characters left in the sport.

The sport should be using this to sell itself not the usual sweep it under the carpet and a few people on the internet get all high and mighty about it!

Its pathetic

and if think a couple of kids slagging each other off on twitter and then punching someone on the back of the head is good for the sport fair enough

People go to watch speedway

i love characters in sport ..i like them to actually have achieved something in the sport or have something to back up this character ..

not famous or being a character simply for being idiots

if he wishes to go to the newspaper, infact they contacted him about the issue then that is up to him. So is it ok for craig to shout out all over twitter about his opinions regarding the matter of being dropped from the gb squad and how he feels towards other riders.

so what if craig has released a statement he was the one who made a fool out of him self in front of lots of young supporters and loyal fans from both teams. We hear and see first hand riders getting into arguments at meetings across the country about hard over takes or knocking people off it adds to the excitement a few words being exchanged and then the fans go home and its forgotten, but that behaviour last night over stepped the mark.

• Like 1

Whilst Cook has issued a statement on his own site, Barker has tweeted: @benbarker88: Everyone can hear my version of the events in The Sun newspaper tomorrow #TheSun

He really makes a pratt of himself. How does he feel he is going to help speedway by going to a seedy newspaper thats always full of lies and letting everybody know how violent our family sport can be?

And he wonders why hes so disliked

Not exactly my newspaper of choice, sadly The Guardian would be unlikely to cover it, but The Sun is Britain's biggest selling newspaper......so for a lot of folk they must be doing something right!!!!!

As P T Barnham once said: "'There's no such thing as bad publicity".

Edited by Brujas Espanolas
  • Like 1

Wrong.

nope you are wrong!

both got fined for the fracas in the pits.

Cook got thrown out for ungentlemanly conduct and violent conduct in the meeting with the ref where he basically kicked and hit any inanimate object around destroying the place!

Violent conduct doesnt have to be towards a human being