British Speedway Forum
Ipswich Jules

Ipswich V Edinburgh 25/7/13

Nobody has said in this thread that Ben is innocent, no doubt he did provoke Cook but words are words and fists are fists. Ben used words, Cook used fists and ultimately Cook took Barker's bait hook, line and sinker.

He *should* of let his racing do the talking, scoring as much as he could to help his team knock us out of the final - instead he did the polar opposite and handed us the Cup Final place on a silver platter.

Cook was outsmarted by Barker, it's a simple as that.

Congratulating someone for making an apology after they have done wrong? It's the absolute minimum of an apology he should of given, if I commit a crime and go to court where I plead guilty - should I expect praise and thanks from the judge and jury?

What a bizarre thing to say, also interesting that in his (much anticipated but ultimately underwhelming) "statement" he can even use Ben's name, seems pretty childish.

He goes on to state there was "significant" initial provocation, no, there wasn't - it was totally insignificant and should of just been ignored, as any decent professional would have done - from that statement and trying to use that as some form of justification, I'd suggest that Cook still hasn't really taken on board what happened or learned any lessons from it at all.

A bit like Barker then as he keeps getting himself involved in these situations.

A bit like Barker then as he keeps getting himself involved in these situations.

I agree, but when was the last time Barker was thrown out of a meeting as a result?

I'm not defending Barker or trying to imply he was entirely innocent in this event - I'm fairly sure he was the spark that ignited the fire, but Cook offers his apology and then tries to justify it a few words later - it's either an apology or not, it seems he's not sure himself.

LOL! It was eminently forgettable, honest. A bit like Cook's only ride at Foxhall on Thursday ;)

And all 4 of Barkers' rides...

I agree, but when was the last time Barker was thrown out of a meeting as a result?

I'm not defending Barker or trying to imply he was entirely innocent in this event - I'm fairly sure he was the spark that ignited the fire, but Cook offers his apology and then tries to justify it a few words later - it's either an apology or not, it seems he's not sure himself.

But you're missing the point... Cook isn't apologising to Barker and I don't see why he should. He was apologising to the supporters of both teams. The statement was a personal admission of guilt and apologised accordingly. Barker hasn't offered any apology and he's as guilty of making the tie a non-spectacle as Cook was.

• Like 3

as they say for the lottery - youve gotta be in it to win it.

Nobody has said in this thread that Ben is innocent, no doubt he did provoke Cook but words are words and fists are fists. Ben used words, Cook used fists and ultimately Cook took Barker's bait hook, line and sinker.

He *should* of let his racing do the talking, scoring as much as he could to help his team knock us out of the final - instead he did the polar opposite and handed us the Cup Final place on a silver platter.

Cook was outsmarted by Barker, it's as simple as that.

Congratulating someone for making an apology after they have done wrong? It's the absolute minimum of an apology he should of given, if I commit a crime and go to court where I plead guilty - should I expect praise and thanks from the judge and jury?

What a bizarre thing to say, also interesting that in his (much anticipated but ultimately underwhelming) "statement" he can't even use Ben's name, seems pretty childish.

He goes on to state there was "significant" initial provocation, no, there wasn't - it was totally insignificant and should of just been ignored, as any decent professional would have done - from that statement and trying to use that as some form of justification, I'd suggest that Cook still hasn't really taken on board what happened or learned any lessons from it at all.

First paragraph I totally agree with.

Next, unless you know what was said that started the fracas, you can't say it was insignificant. I'd say the way Cook has reacted since Thursday would suggest he has taken it on board and already learned from it.

But you're missing the point... Cook isn't apologising to Barker and I don't see why he should. He was apologising to the supporters of both teams. The statement was a personal admission of guilt and apologised accordingly. Barker hasn't offered any apology and he's as guilty of making the tie a non-spectacle as Cook was.

Why should Barker apologize? Who to? You say yourself Cook shouldn't apologize to Barker so by the same token Barker shouldn't apologize to Cook.

Both were fined for the handbags - that's all both parties are guilty of, but Barkers involvement in that had no impact on the outcome of the meeting and the spectacle for the spectators - it was Cook's actions that followed that fine which took care of that and, as you said yourself, is what he has - rightly - apologized for.

Next, unless you know what was said that started the fracas, you can't say it was insignificant. I'd say the way Cook has reacted since Thursday would suggest he has taken it on board and already learned from it.

What was said is of no significance at all, Cook should of been professional enough to rise above it. However, he wasn't and he paid the price - except that price was also paid by the Edinburgh fans (that both traveled and stayed at home), fellow teammates, management and sponsors.

you keep saying this like its very often?? Is it?? I'm not so sure??

Why should Barker apologize? Who to? You say yourself Cook shouldn't apologize to Barker so by the same token Barker shouldn't apologize to Cook.

Both were fined for the handbags - that's all both parties are guilty of, but Barkers involvement in that had no impact on the outcome of the meeting and the spectacle for the spectators - it was Cook's actions that followed that fine which took care of that and, as you said yourself, is what he has - rightly - apologized for.

What was said is of no significance at all, Cook should of been professional enough to rise above it. However, he wasn't and he paid the price - except that price was also paid by the Edinburgh fans (that both traveled and stayed at home), fellow teammates, management and sponsors.

Of which I was one that travelled so feel as aggrieved as the next man. I'm not saying Barker should apologise to Cookie... But he should have the decency to acknowledge his part in the melee by offering an apology rather than go to a tabloid which makes him out to be a totally innocent party in it.

And why say what was said to start it was insignificant when you don't know what was said?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, but we both agree that the real losers were the supporters who travelled to the meeting.

Edited by Nutz

Of which I was one that travelled so feel as aggrieved as the next man. I'm not saying Barker should apologise to Cookie... But he should have the decency to acknowledge his part in the melee by offering an apology rather than go to a tabloid which makes him out to be a totally innocent party in it.

And why say what was said to start it was insignificant when you don't know what was said?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, but we both agree that the real losers were the supporters who travelled to the meeting.

Because it doesn't matter what was said, he could of said his mum was a something something who likes to something with sailors, or he could of said he thought Cook's haircut looked rubbish - it really doesn't matter, or justify, the results.

• Like 2

Because it doesn't matter what was said, he could of said his mum was a something something who likes to something with sailors, or he could of said he thought Cook's haircut looked rubbish - it really doesn't matter, or justify, the results.

Probably told him his wheels look rubbish. It's true.

Barker didnt cause his team to go with a blank in 2 races so has nothing to apologise for.

Probably told him his wheels look rubbish. It's true.

It's careless comments like that, that result in heaters being kicked off walls young man!

I put a wink after my comment - it's called humour. Your reply is simply childish.

You are missing the point - Cook doesn't have to apologise to Barker. They were both fined for what happened in the pits - or have you still failed to comprehend that?

There is no-one else to blame for Cook's behaviour in the meeting with Dan Holt, which ultimately led to Cook's ejection from the meeting, but Cook himself. Cook had a choice, and he made the wrong one.

I suggest you read about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - it has some brilliant, provenly effective uses, for issues such as lack of confidence, all the way to other end of the spectrum, e.g. anger management. It's all about understanding your own reaction to "trigger" events, and learning how to deal with them in a more positive manner.

• Like 2

So he should apologise for getting hit? That's a new one.

lovey never gives up