British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CardinalSin

Ipswich Vs Berwick Thursday August 1st 7.30pm

To be fair Ashworth never seems to go well round Foxhall. Seems to be the norm, a rider who is used to fast big tracks like Berwick, Sheffield seem to struggle when they come to the tight tricky tracks like Ipswich, Rye House. Maybe they need a season at one of these tracks to crack them.

I'm not sure it's the size of our track, but mainly more to do with the amount of grip we have for a smaller track. Surely there are more smaller tracks than big ones, so a rider racers more than 50 percent of his meetings on smaller tracks. Some big track riders can ride lakeside ok because it's always so slick

I'm not sure it's the size of our track, but mainly more to do with the amount of grip we have for a smaller track. Surely there are more smaller tracks than big ones, so a rider racers more than 50 percent of his meetings on smaller tracks. Some big track riders can ride lakeside ok because it's always so slick

Ashworth used to be hopeless at Rye, but he's improved his scores greatly over the last couple of years. Rye is a pretty small slick track, so your point is spot on.

The Ipswich track looks very flat. Some banking would help the quality of the racing.

I must admit , it was very much a gate and go track last night apart from a couple of passes .

Very uninspiring !

Not exactly what's required to get newbies to come again from the slightly larger than usual crowd .

3 league points were required and obtained .

Just about all that needs saying really .

This thread certainly won't drag on like the Edinburgh one .

• Like 1

Track was a discrace! Can't understand why they have small tracks prepared like a motocross start gate! It should be prepared so all 4 riders can ride flat out side by side and having choice of different lines. Not strung out hanging on for life and made to look like a raw novice! It can't be hard can it????

• Like 1

Reading the Berwick report of the meeting on the bspa site, Ashworth was actually excluded for knocking off Leigh Lanham, not the incident with Adam. This make more sense now as he clearly moved into Leigh and brought him down on the back straight. Maybe Adam should've been excluded aswell for being underpower as he was not attached to his bike at the time.

• Like 1

Reading the Berwick report of the meeting on the bspa site, Ashworth was actually excluded for knocking off Leigh Lanham, not the incident with Adam. This make more sense now as he clearly moved into Leigh and brought him down on the back straight. Maybe Adam should've been excluded aswell for being underpower as he was not attached to his bike at the time.

I think that was the general consensus amongst the Bandits fans. To be honest, my attention was on the fallen rider, so I missed the Ashworth/Lanham incident. Looked to me like Ellis fell on his own accord, so should've been excluded anyway. Caught a lucky break there.

I can only assume the ref thought he laid it down to avoid what was happening up front.

That didnt seem the case to me as I thought Adam was down first and very much on his own.

In general it seemed to me that there was too much grip at the entry to the bends which straightened a few up and took them into the deeper stuff at the wrong speed and angle to keep control.

Im sure there a a few more qualified than me that can confirm that or otherwise??

The problem with a grippy track like that is, the back end doesn't break away which obviously means your heading towards the fence, this then makes less confident riders in those conditions to shut off, which then straightens you up sending you towards the fence even more. Obviously the best thing to do in those conditions is have very very big testicles and keep it wound on, but then as you see from adam rohan and then Adam again you hit the grip, your front wheel lifts and sends you towards or through the fence at pretty high speed. Personally I would have been riding a pretty big rear sprocket to help on a track like that, obviously some of the riders thought they could race it with their usual start gearing and set up.

So one of the usual suspects is on here again knocking a rider who is coming back from a long line of injuries, and completely forgetting the consistent double figures he knocked in for us prior to that.

It also looks like almost everyone struggled due to track conditions last night. So it is unfair to comment, especially when you weren't there.

It's always easy to have a go sat next to a computer though...

Whilst i applaud CL for trying to produce a grippy track, it obviously doesn't suit the riders. It's been the same for the past few weeks, awkward for 5/6 heats, then slicker and smoother for the rest of the meeting. Whether it's the way the bikes are set up these days, or that the riders just cant handle it, either way lets try a smoother surface and see what happens next meeting.

One of the biggest complaints in Speedway is about 15 mins action for your entrance fee, last night it dragged on for just over 2 hours, just about bearable on a nice evening, but unacceptable on a cold night.

The problem with a grippy track like that is, the back end doesn't break away which obviously means your heading towards the fence, this then makes less confident riders in those conditions to shut off, which then straightens you up sending you towards the fence even more. Obviously the best thing to do in those conditions is have very very big testicles and keep it wound on, but then as you see from adam rohan and then Adam again you hit the grip, your front wheel lifts and sends you towards or through the fence at pretty high speed. Personally I would have been riding a pretty big rear sprocket to help on a track like that, obviously some of the riders thought they could race it with their usual start gearing and set up.

Keep this up and you will replace Kelvin with a summary like that!

Whilst i applaud CL for trying to produce a grippy track, it obviously doesn't suit the riders. It's been the same for the past few weeks, awkward for 5/6 heats, then slicker and smoother for the rest of the meeting. Whether it's the way the bikes are set up these days, or that the riders just cant handle it, either way lets try a smoother surface and see what happens next meeting.

One of the biggest complaints in Speedway is about 15 mins action for your entrance fee, last night it dragged on for just over 2 hours, just about bearable on a nice evening, but unacceptable on a cold night.

It's also a myth that you need grippy conditions to produce good racing.

Heat 15 after the track slickened off last night a perfect example.

Perhaps thats how the home riders want it?

as a first timer to foxhall i never understand that riders who have never seen a grippy track. Blame the weather (this is england!!)or what ever but, they must have seen one before.Rick Ashworth looked hopeless in his first 2 heats & then gated and robbed by a poor refereeing.

p.s. One point for Ipswich speedway, I stood on the back straight and couldn't see the start gate for a tractor parked in the way.Yes i moved but, the driver then also moved.