British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Buxton V Kent Kings, 11/08/2013, Nl

It's back to National League business and looking for that deserved away win at Buxton.

It would be nice to think that Buxton could be the start of a weekend double - with a win there, then another success against Coventry in Monday's rescheduled match.

I think the key factor in Kings' hopes of a win will be how David Mason scores as he continues his come-back. Steve Boxall, Benji Compton and Ben Morley should spearhead the visiting firepower in the chase for points.

Well at least I was right in regard to David Mason while it was nice to see another good score from Ben Morley.

Now we must wait for the post mortem on the 60-31 defeat.

Edited by Guest

Interesting to note that not one Buxton rider fell on a track that the Kent contigent have deemed 'unsafe' except for Tom Woolley who was knocked off by Steve Boxall. As for being the 'usual ploughed field' Waco you couldn't be further from the truth.

• Like 2

Interesting to note that not one Buxton rider fell on a track that the Kent contigent have deemed 'unsafe' except for Tom Woolley who was knocked off by Steve Boxall. As for being the 'usual ploughed field' Waco you couldn't be further from the truth.

Why did Steve withdraw Jayne ?

Boxall - suspected fractured elbow

Kingston - suspected broken rib

Compton - pulled his shoulder, in extreme pain.

I was not there so can't comment on the track but if HalifaxTiger was raising concerns then as an independent person at the track I would take his comments over the home promoter!

I have now seen photos of the "track", for anyone who has critised Central Park this season or the bad old days at Mildenhall when the "blue groove" appeared after a couple of heats of the PL meetings and then we rode CL meetings afterwards, you have seen nothing compared to what these pictures show of today.

Edited by Nikko

Thanks for the info Nikko,,I too took notice of Halifax Tigers comments about the track,,,,I have visited the track 3 times before and on every occasion it has been heavy and very rough to start with ,,but improved as the meetings progressed ,,okay for experienced riders ,,But very difficult for young.. inexperienced riders who are not used to the track ...It has obviously cost us dearly,, and we now have considerable problems for tomorrows meeting against Coventry ...6-30 pm

Boxall - suspected fractured elbow

Kingston - suspected broken rib

Compton - pulled his shoulder, in extreme pain.

I was not there so can't comment on the track but if HalifaxTiger was raising concerns then as an independent person at the track I would take his comments over the home promoter!

I have now seen photos of the "track", for anyone who has critised Central Park this season or the bad old days at Mildenhall when the "blue groove" appeared after a couple of heats of the PL meetings and then we rode CL meetings afterwards, you have seen nothing compared to what these pictures show of today.

As the press officer you are going to follow the party line but why did neither your stand in team manager (as no one from your management team bothered to come) or captain make any complaints to the referee if the track was that bad. I certainly made my feelings known to John Sampford about Kent's track when we were there a few weeks ago not that it made any difference.

The track is the same for both sides so as the home promoter how am I biased in saying not one home rider fell off on such a supposedly dangerous track other than when they were knocked off? The facts speak for themselves.

Surprised to hear that Benji was injured as saw him afterwards smiling and having a beer!!!

To be fair, I should retract the 'unsafe' remark. That was made in the heat of the moment after a series of falls - Ryan Blacklock definitely came off - and riders losing control, including Liam Carr and Adam McKinna. It says everything that one of the riders who did come off - and indeed later withdrew from the meeting due to injury - is one of the best and most experienced in the NL. I'd like to have heard what he was saying to the referee when he was on the phone shortly after, although I somewhat doubt that he was complaining about the price of coffee from the food wagon.

If the track wasn't unsafe, it was certainly bloody awful and that's anything but the first time that I have seen that at Buxton. I got home an hour or so ago, absolutely covered in dust from a track that was watered just once before the meeting (unless you count the dribble that comes out on grading) on a breezy and intermittently sunny day. I was also battered by a series of sharp stones that came off the track surface (despite standing well away from the circuit).

Nikko is absolutely right in his assessment of the first bend - it wasn't a blue groove, it was far worse than that. Indeed, large rocks (which presumably constitute the bases of the track) were sticking up on the inside line after about heat 9. In addition, I was told that there was a huge rut on the third/fourth bend.

I was listening to Dean Felton telling me about his plan's for the Fence Fund meeting and he deserves a huge amount of credit for the effort that he is putting in, because he is leaving no stone unturned in order to ensure that it is a major success.

To be blunt, it is a pity that the same sort of effort is not put in on match days to ensure that they are a similar success, because what I saw today has ensured that I won't be going again for a while.

EDIT: It was the sort of track that caused Michael Lee to make these comments in 2011:

"The track conditions were very disappointing and the falls and crashes caused by that, lost us at least seven points. It's shame as, if the surface was right, it could be a great little speedway.......... but to be honest, in the end I am just glad the boys are all in one piece after riding on a track like that."

Edited by Halifaxtiger

As the press officer you are going to follow the party line but why did neither your stand in team manager (as no one from your management team bothered to come) or captain make any complaints to the referee if the track was that bad. I certainly made my feelings known to John Sampford about Kent's track when we were there a few weeks ago not that it made any difference.

The track is the same for both sides so as the home promoter how am I biased in saying not one home rider fell off on such a supposedly dangerous track other than when they were knocked off? The facts speak for themselves.

Surprised to hear that Benji was injured as saw him afterwards smiling and having a beer!!!

Sorry Jayne your wrong again.

Read my signature, im the Commercial Manager and not the Press Officer, and never have been.

Im also known for NOT towing the party line. If I have something to say, I will say it if I feel it needs saying.

HalifaxTigers post, an independent view, says it all.

I was listening to Dean Felton telling me about his plan's for the Fence Fund meeting and he deserves a huge amount of credit for the effort that he is putting in, because he is leaving no stone unturned in order to ensure that it is a major success.

Hmm, sounds like there was a lot of stones that were turned on that track today!!!

Sorry Jayne your wrong again.

Read my signature, im the Commercial Manager and not the Press Officer, and never have been.

Im also known for NOT towing the party line. If I have something to say, I will say it if I feel it needs saying.

HalifaxTigers post, an independent view, says it all.

Apologies - although you are still a club official and as such expected to not say/do anything detrimental to your club publically. As for Halifax Tiger not sure how a rider's sponsor can be impartial.

Apologies - although you are still a club official and as such expected to not say/do anything detrimental to your club publically.

Hang on, you're the promoter do you not think that THIS posting (below) is both unprofessional and inappropriate - criticising as it does the Kent management and riders..?

Pot and kettle are the words which spring to mind..

.... why did neither your stand in team manager (as no one from your management team bothered to come) or captain make any complaints to the referee if the track was that bad. I certainly made my feelings known to John Sampford about Kent's track when we were there a few weeks ago not that it made any difference.

Apologies - although you are still a club official and as such expected to not say/do anything detrimental to your club publically. As for Halifax Tiger not sure how a rider's sponsor can be impartial.

Trust me Jayne you can't be more wrong abt Halifax Tigar. He may be a riders sponsor but he calls it as he see's it and if he disagreed with anything that his rider said then he will say. So he isn't biased in anything he says.

• Like 1

Hang on, you're the promoter do you not think that THIS posting (below) is both unprofessional and inappropriate - criticising as it does the Kent management and riders..?

Pot and kettle are the words which spring to mind..

Derek no I don't - I stand by my comments as I do my riders. As usual you totally miss the point I am making. Nothing I have written is untrue. I did complain at Kent although nothing was done - fact. No one representing Kent complained to the referee today - fact. Tom Woolley was knocked off as Steve Boxall rode into him and was deemed at fault by the referee - fact. As for Michael Lee's comments another person who did not stand by his convictions on the day when they were losing - fact.

I would not expect my riders to race if they were all in agreement that a track was dangerous. I would endeavour to fix the situation and if it could not be done then we would not ride - end of story.

• Like 1

That wasn't the point I was making Jayne. You criticised Neil (Nikko) for going 'public' (ie on here) when he's a club official implying that because of his position at the club he shouldn't be expressing opinions on this forum. Yet you then immediately did exactly the same thing!

• Like 1