British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Sgp/bsi And Sec/one Sport It Is War Now

Just been reading in Sportowefakty that there is talk BSI want to ban SGP riders from taking part in the SEC.

One Sport are considering two options in retaliation firstly stopping all SGP riders from riding in the Polish League, i'm guessing the latter pays vastly more or (and?) secondly switching the Polish Ekstraliga matches to Saturday's.

Plus if the translation is correct a member of the Russian federation has said that in light of BSI's behaviour his country has no intention of staging a Grand Prix. I'll wait until i get an English report before being certain about that, but i think it is.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Just been reading in Sportowefakty that there is talk BSI want to ban SGP riders from taking part in the SEC.

Wasn't that tried by the established authorities with the Kerry Packer players, and it ended in tears? Surely a restraint of trade?

Can we also expect this to be reported in the Star?

BSI will be on a loser if they try and take on Poland. The only way for them to succeed in that kind of battle is to gain the backing from the BSPA, DMU & SVEMO and more importantly the FIM but they do need all 4. Not likely a at all is it

I will await commenting until I read the true story on speedwaygp.com.

Or failing that until the World's Leading Speedway Magazine drops through my letterbox on Thursday.

Then I will have all the facts.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Or failing that until the World's Leading Speedway Magazine drops through my letterbox on Thursday.

Ur, well maybe, perhaps. :lol: I presume irony here ? :lol: BSI are on a loser with this one. Kerry Packer days are here again indeed. ::This one will run and run....

Regards. Alan.

Edited by brandonbee48

:)

What Manchesterpaul says its right on I read the article too there was also an interview with Ole Olsen who was very dismissive of One Sport in interview to the point that he got really mad at the interviewer who kept asking him questions about it I am not surprised at Russian sticking with Poles when it comes to things like that we Slavs usually stick together

• Like 1

BSI will be on a loser if they try and take on Poland. The only way for them to succeed in that kind of battle is to gain the backing from the BSPA, DMU & SVEMO and more importantly the FIM but they do need all 4. Not likely a at all is it

Don't think it would matter even if the sport's authorities did close ranks. That happened with Packer and he still took them on and won.

Conversely, if the national leagues closed ranks against BSI then it wouldn't be much competition.

Russian sticking with Poles when it comes to things like that we Slavs usually stick together

I don't remember there being much ermm... solidarity in the 1980s...

• Like 1

I would like to add my two penny worth-firstly Sportowefakty are "media partners "(or similar terminology) for one sport so this article is extremely biased one way.

Secondly as far as I know one sport do not run Polish extraleague speedway-the clubs run it.One sport might be involved on the commercial side to an extent but I think their influence is being completely exaggerated in the article.

BSI deny any talk of trying to ban riders and, of course, that is way outside their jurisdiction.

As I have reported before, the real conflict may be between rival factions within the FIM.

BSI deny any talk of trying to ban riders and, of course, that is way outside their jurisdiction.

It wouldn't have to be a 'ban' as such. They could declare that SGP riders have to sign exclusive contracts with them, or specifically not with a rival competition. Probably wouldn't stand up to any legal challenge given the self-employed nature of riders that IMG/BSI has been happy to utilise over the years, but there we have it.

As I have reported before, the real conflict may be between rival factions within the FIM.

Funny since the SEC is run under the juristiction of FIM Europe. Also for what it's worth and I've heard there's a plan to use the SEC as a stepping stone/quali system for the SGP (EDIT) in the future. If ever, now they've started on the wrong foot! :lol: Edited by f-s-p

It wouldn't have to be a 'ban' as such. They could declare that SGP riders have to sign exclusive contracts with them, or specifically not with a rival competition. Probably wouldn't stand up to any legal challenge given the self-employed nature of riders that IMG/BSI has been happy to utilise over the years, but there we have it.

Yes it's all very well to deny the specifics of a 'ban' as we all know that would never be possible.

But the leverage of contracts, sponsorships and money.

That is a very different thing.

Funny since the SEC is run under the juristiction of FIM Europe.

It's the old UEM based in Italy though isn't it, whereas the FIM proper is in Switzerland. It seems the whole UEM speedway programme was something to make the UEM look important, because with sp much world-level motorcycle sport already based in Europe, the rationale for its creation was not entirely clear.

Maybe it's just one hand not knowing what the other is doing.