British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Sgp/bsi And Sec/one Sport It Is War Now

Have BSI said anything about Chris Harris?

No they haven't... at this stage it's once again propaganda from OneSport. Once again, folk lap it up.

• Like 1

Well i am back, the know is no more due to my account not working for ages ! Not sure why ? But a better one is back ready for 2014. Why can these two not get on ? Thought SEC did a good job but to me looks like those at top of BSI are running scared. Think this will only be bad for speedway in the long run.

HAVE stated on here several times that BSI warned the FIM that they would be opening a can of worms if they went ahead with banning GP riders from the SEC but they went and did it anyway. Ball is currently in the FIM's court...

IT will be up to the FIM to determine how Gollob's replacement is chosen.

Whose to Say Chris Harris wasn't their next Wildcard Selection? They picked Freddie Lindgren after all.

HE wasn't...

The rules say when a rider resigns after the official lineup has been published then the first rider available of the official substitute list shall replace him.

GOLLOB'S withdrawal might have more to him losing his Monster sponsorship - he was allegedly the highest paid amongst the speedway fraternity - than anything else.

AS he was a wild card pick rather than a qualifier either through the top eight or the Challenge the FIM might consider that as an option...

But they've announced the riders/line up. They can't change it now.....

I was away for a day. What year is it?

• Like 1

MY gut feeling after some discussions regarding Gollob's withdrawal is that the FIM have no choice but to follow their own rules and promote Chris Harris into the 2014 SGP series.

Incidentally, I have had it confirmed, for what it is worth, that all other 14 riders have submitted their entry forms to the FIM for the 2014 SGP.

Oh dear that will not help Coventry being a fri night track.

Phil... You have any idea what kind of clause the form has regarding withdrawl from the series? Asking since Emil is/has been (said) thinking about it? I mean it's only 200k more from Nice added to his Tirun contract and he'd actually probably be better without SGP. Just a thought.

Phil... You have any idea what kind of clause the form has regarding withdrawl from the series? Asking since Emil is/has been (said) thinking about it? I mean it's only 200k more from Nice added to his Tirun contract and he'd actually probably be better without SGP. Just a thought.

CANNOT imagine you can force any one to ride even if they have entered but whether or not the FIM have sanctions at their disposal I'm not sure.

Agree about Nice potentially adding to Emil's contract but whatever one's feelings about all this would be disappointed if a rider like Emil didn't actually want to be World Champion. I know the sacrifices Greg Hancock (and Billy Hamill) made when they came to England but it was never about money. They wanted to be World Champion and figured they would reap the spoils later.

Contrasting sounds coming out of the FIM about what the next step is with them and OneSport but think everyone can agree that the FIM have tried to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. They (and FIM Europe) should have stipulated from the word go that SGP riders wouldn't be allowed to compete in the European Championship in the same year and that it would be a feeder into the SGP.

Think this is the real bone of contention within the various factions of the FIM and, as I have said before, they were warned by BSI/IMG and others that attempting to do it retrospectively was fraught with danger.

I cant point the finger to Emil in this case, since he actually is a World Champion and has most likely done things for other benefits than money, but the growing feeling is that it's all about the money. Even if you dont have anything on offer really, other than a second hand bike/kevlars/covers and dirty boots, you should get paid to ride.

Oh dear that will not help Coventry being a fri night track.

We were well aware of Chris' status as first reserve when he was signed. We have raced with GP riders in the team before with a Friday race-night........

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 1

LOTS of sportsmen and women, including motorcyclists, don't earn a living on prize money, especially from the FIM!

When John Postlethwaite first secured the commercial rights for the SGP from the FIM, who had been touting it around since its inception, at his first meeting with the riders he told them that if they were to make significant money from the series it would be through sponsorship. He would provide the TV coverage and the stages on which they would perform, the rest was up to them.

Some, like Tony Rickardsson, benefitted massively. For many sponsorship is harder to come by than others but there are plenty who have earned very good money from deals secured on the basis of the TV exposure provided by the SGP in appearing in some major venues. That is fact. And, of course, SGP riders do get paid to ride with a pre-season payment and prize money, although you and others may consider that a mere pittance. Maybe it is but the World Championship is the cream on the cake and plenty, like Jason Crump for example, saw it that way.

Incidentally, I also made some enquiries about showing the SGP on TV in Russia. Apparently there is zero interest, most TV companies don't even know who Emil Sayfutdinov is.

As for Eurosport, TV companies contracted to BSI like those in Denmark, Poland and Sweden are adamant that they do not want the SGP shown on Eurosport (other than the British version which is in effect a separate entity) because of its possible effect on their own audiences.

As for Eurosport, TV companies contracted to BSI like those in Denmark, Poland and Sweden are adamant that they do not want the SGP shown on Eurosport (other than the British version which is in effect a separate entity) because of its possible effect on their own audiences.

There are several versions of Eurosport, Philip, with some having some distinctive deals. For example the Hungarian/Romanian service used to show the FA Premier League live.

As for stations in Denmark, Poland and Sweden being unhappy with Eurosport showing SGP in opposition, well imagine what Sky would have said a couple of years ago if it had been suggested that Eurosport would show the SGP as well when THEY had paid for the UK and Ireland rights?

When John Postlethwaite first secured the commercial rights for the SGP from the FIM, who had been touting it around since its inception, at his first meeting with the riders he told them that if they were to make significant money from the series it would be through sponsorship.

He probably didn't mention he'd be the biggest earner though...

]

Incidentally, I also made some enquiries about showing the SGP on TV in Russia. Apparently there is zero interest, most TV companies don't even know who Emil Sayfutdinov is

And they never will if there's no exposure in Russia. Surely part of the role of a rights holder is to do some promotion and generate some interest?

CANNOT imagine you can force any one to ride even if they have entered but whether or not the FIM have sanctions at their disposal I'm not sure.

I'd assume Emil will simply be entering both competitions, and I suspect Pedersen will as well. The ball is then in the authorities court once the ride in the SEC. If they ban them at the point from the SGP, apart from the embarrassment (SEC wins that one), then I'd suspect a big court battle in which I'd favour the riders. I'd only see one loser in this confrontation, and its not the SEC.