British Speedway Forum
Chadster

'bumper Crowds'

Why would Sky want a big crowd ? If people are watching at home they are helping the viewing figures and watching the adverts that pay for the meeting. For every person in the crowd that's another person the companies paying for the adverts are not reaching.

There are approx 25,000 to 30,000 active fans in the UK currently, allowing for the fact that some count in the numbers for more than 1 track.

Even if everyone of these watched the SKY match it would hardly be the figures SKY were looking at. A casual channell hopper tunes in to see one man and his dog watching live and most probably carries on channel hopping.

Now if he tunes in and sees a vibrant, well presented product in a jammed to the rafters stadium he may just stick with it, may even make a note of the next match or even elect to visit for himself.

It creates a snowball effect in both TV viewers and at the track fans.

Another problem for speedway though is the demograph of those who support it, very few (none) ABC1s to put in front of blue chip advertisers making it hard to justify a prime viewing slot

• Like 1

Your first gate against us on opening night was about 4300.

Yes great night, never thought i would see the day.

• Like 1

Oh dear name calling when you can't debate anymore ..so childish

At the end of the day, you feel what you think is correct, me likewise. We can disagree all day but you are in a shrinking band of speedway fans, I am in a growing party of ex-attendees. You can feel proud and stand firm by thinking that everything you spout is correct, but the clock is ticking.

I get no satisifaction in my final comment.

Bickering over... must be boring for the other members. Tis to me.

Edited by moxey63

There are approx 25,000 to 30,000 active fans in the UK currently, allowing for the fact that some count in the numbers for more than 1 track.

Even if everyone of these watched the SKY match it would hardly be the figures SKY were looking at. A casual channell hopper tunes in to see one man and his dog watching live and most probably carries on channel hopping.

Now if he tunes in and sees a vibrant, well presented product in a jammed to the rafters stadium he may just stick with it, may even make a note of the next match or even elect to visit for himself.

It creates a snowball effect in both TV viewers and at the track fans.

Another problem for speedway though is the demograph of those who support it, very few (none) ABC1s to put in front of blue chip advertisers making it hard to justify a prime viewing slot

What the heck are they Oldace? :wink: A Driving School perhaps. :drink:

What the heck are they Oldace? :wink: A Driving School perhaps. :drink:

ABC1s Ian are the type of people who wear decent clothing, wouldn't be seen dead in a wulfsport top or any of the tat that seems to adorn most of the people who frequent speedway stadiums. They would not dream of taking a flask and sandwiches to a sporting event, most likely would not have a collection of programmes dating back 50 years and they don't smell

All in all then they are not really speedway types!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

ABC1s Ian are the type of people who wear decent clothing, wouldn't be seen dead in a wulfsport top or any of the tat that seems to adorn most of the people who frequent speedway stadiums. They would not dream of taking a flask and sandwiches to a sporting event, most likely would not have a collection of programmes dating back 50 years and they don't smell

Exactly, OldAce, we could be the same person. I bet, five years after my last visit, if I frequented Belle Vue the people who still adorn the terraces are still sporting the Jason Crump clobber, the orange perhaps slightly darkened by the blue after a couple of wrong washes.

Although speedway machinery has altered through the decades, the typical image of a speedway fan remains in 1970s Britain. I have to shiver at some of the team managers' attire during SKY matches also, along with the use of clipboards, stopwatches and the customary biro (and a spare for safety).

Thing is, although I don’t smell (I hope I don’t… sniffing my armpit) I still have my collection of programmes from the past 30 or so years, and have every single copy of Speedway Star dating right back to the first edition in 1952. Also, sounding even sadder and opening myself for future abuse, I also have every Speedway News since 1931 and heaps of racejackets, many of Belle Vue etc from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

• Like 1

Thanks for your most excellent definition Oldace. I will continue to wear my Belle Vue Coat (NOT Wulfsport), enjoy my Sandwiches and Bovril (from a Flask) - I have NO old Programmes well not many anyway - but I do have every Copy of Vintage Speedway Magazine, Classic Speedway and BackTrack.

Like Moxey63 I am now desperately SNIFFING.

• Like 2

Snobs, i wear what i want but dont follow fashions ie Superdry, Gap, etc.

Bobble hats are the new fashion, a lot of riders wear them Woffinden for one. :D

I do own a Wulfsport jacket but its been demoted by a Supporters club jacket! :lol:

• Like 2

I am going to come out now... in a freaky speedway way... and say I used to collect everything speedway themed up until a couple of years ago... every book I used to buy, read and then file away upstairs. Knowing I would never read it again, I don't know why - as a speedway fan - I needed to store everything. I always bought the latest book or would have it/them as my next present.

Now, my bookshelf is just the reference publications... yearbooks etc, some I have done myself (Alan Robertson is my off BSF name). I have many dvds (over a thousand) and probably wouldn’t also part with those (but you never know) and will always keep my mags and racejackets.

Not once did I think I'd downsize my collection like I have done, earned a pretty penny as well off my ebay deals. So, every hoarder out there, it can be done

I can own up though, and say I have never had one of those wulfsport garments or one of those dart-player type T-Shirts speedway supporters parade about in.

I have only the programmes now from matches I attended, used to collect a lot in my maniac days though.

Now… who’s next to reveal their guilty secret?

Edited by moxey63

I was doing well until you mentioned about the smell.

Does make me wonder, have I become a snob and that's why I don't go to speedway any more?

Edited by SCB

I am going to come out now... in a freaky speedway way... and say I used to collect everything speedway themed up until a couple of years ago... every book I used to buy, read and then file away upstairs. Knowing I would never read it again, I don't know why - as a speedway fan - I needed to store everything. I always bought the latest book or would have it/them as my next present.

Now, my bookshelf is just the reference publications... yearbooks etc, some I have done myself (Alan Robertson is my off BSF name). I have many dvds (over a thousand) and probably wouldn’t also part with those (but you never know) and will always keep my mags and racejackets.

Not once did I think I'd downsize my collection like I have done, earned a pretty penny as well off my ebay deals. So, every hoarder out there, it can be done

I can own up though, and say I have never had one of those wulfsport garments or one of those dart-player type T-Shirts speedway supporters parade about in.

I have only the programmes now from matches I attended, used to collect a lot in my maniac days though.

Now… who’s next to reveal their guilty secret?

I wear an 'Aussie' Hat. :t::unsure: :unsure: B)

I was doing well until you mentioned about the smell.

Does make me wonder, have I become a snob and that's why I don't go to speedway any more?

What a SNOB you are SCB. :wink::rofl: :rofl:

I wear an 'Aussie' Hat. :t::unsure: :unsure: B)

What a SNOB you are SCB. :wink::rofl: :rofl:

Aussie? Bet you speedway fans smell down under as well....

Aussie? Bet you speedway fans smell down under as well....

But I'm from Sunderland..................................

• Like 1

I think there's a time in your speedway-watching when you notice what's around you on the terraces... and think, gee, am I one of those?

It dawned on me one night, as soon as a race was over each ones head would fall, pen in hand, as they rushed to fill in the score of the heat... even though, if they had suddenly gone blank, the announcer would run it by them again. It is a wonder that every speedway fan has a hump on their back, such is the time they spend crouched at a meeting over their programme.

I then began to notice that everyone at speedway stands in the same place... not just that week, that season... but until they suddenly vanish and (1) have departed from this earth (2) have suddenly realised Wulfsport jackets have brought shame on the family and won't leave the house, or (3) they shifted to another vantage point, hurt that a kid from the week before had mentioned about that guy near them smelling of hot meat and potatoe pie (stale sweat)!

I chuckle now, to even think I couldn't leave a speedway stadium until I had written down the time of the last race!

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1