British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oneandtwohalfs

Leicester Lions V Berwick Bandits Sun 25/08/13 6pm

What does Sargeant need to do to gate. Stills looks competitive when out the back but probably needs to stay behind to work on the gating practice with someone!

Seems to do okay at Coventry but nearly every time he gates the race gets called back because of an unsatisfactory start. Perhaps he's just nervous at the tapes now and waits too long. :lol:

• Like 1

Look you lost get over it :) you was not good enough look at you number 1 Bad night or what well done boys :)

Look you lost get over it :) you was not good enough look at you number 1 Bad night or what well done boys :)

I was thinking the same when the Rockets came and duffed you up a couple of weeks ago ;)

• Like 1

Seems to do okay at Coventry but nearly every time he gates the race gets called back because of an unsatisfactory start. Perhaps he's just nervous at the tapes now and waits too long. :lol:

It would be interesting to know what the relationshop between bike set up against reactions is with starting these days. I remember my cousin trying to get tips from Jamie Habbin on why he was making the electric starts he always seemed to make and all he appeared to do was wind the clutch a little more than most.. He clearly had a bit of intuition and speed of reaction that put him ahead of most at the time. When it went the Pink Panther was spent. Similarly , but from the opposite end of the spectrum, we watched Paul Lee ride around Long Eaton on his own looking for all the world the next world champion from the age of probably 11 or so until he actually raced against other riders at which point we realised he was one of the worlds worst gaters. Was that a intuition thing or just a set up thing. I can't believe someone with the talent Paul had would not have been able to overcome his gating woes but it appears not.

The reason i say this is that James Sargeant looks like he has a bit of intelligence in what he is trying to do from the back. More than a lot of riders i'm watching who are a whole lot more experienced but because he lacks a bit of speed and he can't get out in front of anyone his moves rarely equate to prizes so to speak. I'm sure if he could get out in a scoring position he'd be holding his position without a problem. Is his gating and speed just a lack of money and tuning or something more?

Edited by volty
  • Like 1

Spoke with Paul after the meeting as he was loading the bikes up and he was as mystified as we were.

Felt a bit sorry for him as it appeared to throw him a bit and he decided against taking a well deserved lap of honour in front of the berwick crackpots (in the nicest sense) in favour of having an apparently needless word with Graversen.

NL is a lot less ruthless at the 1st turn. Premier league is all about experience at the first turn and getting muscled out and having the confidence to get in amongst them it's experience he will gain but a full season at PL is what's needed not just a few ad hoc meetings here and there and then a place at the end of the season when everyone else has been riding all season.

Hopefully after the success of NL riders such as Kerr, Blackbird, Nielsen to name a few, this year the PL teams will sit up and take notice and stop going abroad to look for expensive foreign reserve riders.

Edited by TMW

Sadly another predictable defeat for Berwick,highlighted only by a 6pt tactical ride from Aspegren and the performance from Paul Starke who`s score put some of his more experienced teamates to shame,notably our No1 who`s performance against Somerset was due to a wonky engine but last night score was little better.

• Like 1

.....volty...... Is his gating and speed just a lack of money and tuning or something more?

If you find out let Chris Harris know as well. :lol:

• Like 1

Certainly not a great spectacle last night... Hope next Saturday against the Monarchs will be better and a much more closer affair. Thought Berwick might have performed a bit better than they did, but hey ho! With regards to Paul Starke getting a few words off of Jan Graversen in relation to him cutting across Jan Graversen's path, I think this happened on the home straight in heat 14. I didn't think it was too much for him to get too angry over. I was impressed with Starke last night. Don't think I've seen him race too much before, but he certainly looked handy. Seb Alden is a completely different bloke to what I saw with Lynn at the start of the season. He does seem to have gone down hill rather fast, but I'm not surprised, as I don't think he's doing very well in Sweden either, so maybe financial strain has something to do with his poor scores?

• Like 1

I heard rumours of a fight in the pits on sunday between Kozza Smith & Lasse Bjerre???

I was told Kozza punched Lasse putting him on the floor which he got fined for.

Can anyone confirm ??

I heard rumours of a fight in the pits on sunday between Kozza Smith & Lasse Bjerre???

Can anyone confirm ??

Kozza Smith was hit with two £50 fines by the referee at Sundays meeting.

Can anyone confirm ??

That's what happens when you have all the self control of a Monkey.

That's what happens when a fellow rider turns right on you entering a bend at 50+ mph on a bike with no brakes

• Like 1

Smiths version of events are that Bjerre the minor turned right on him going down the straight,a dangerous move in anyones book.

Edited by screm