British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robinh88

Berwick 2014?

Dearest Scott

I'm not suggesting we go all out to win a league title, as per I think you are getting a little bit carried away with oneself. 5 or 6 years ago takes us back to 2008 where as far as I can remember we won diddly squat. That being said it was a exciting season we finished 5 I think (maybe 6th) in the end. We dropped a point maybe two at home all season... two draws versus Kings Lynn and Edinburgh - no disgrace.

Now no we didn't win anything from a trophy perspective but we were competitive in away matches maybe we should have won more away from Shielfield that year, but we certainly held our own at home. That team was never going to win the league but it was entertaining and still did very well.

I got a facebook message from a fellow Bandits fan earlier this week (not emilali) who greeted my Hello with a "thank god, that's over" I will spare his identity but he is a real person. His opinion is one I value, we need to change something, the current strategy has not proved fruitful on-track.

Too conclude if Mr J Anderson stated he and his management team were going to go balls out for the title, we probably wouldn't run the following season. That being said Scott, knowing the market and a bit of wheeling and dealing and we can be up there without winning league titles or going bust. Off track we've done great things and been taken to the next level. On-track for me sadly we are no further forward, we put too much emphasis on the entertainer, as Tourettes states we need gaters, in essence for 2014

Edited by RobinH88

Dearest Scott

I'm not suggesting we go all out to win a league title, as per I think you are getting a little bit carried away with oneself. 5 or 6 years ago takes us back to 2008 where as far as I can remember we won diddly squat. That being said it was a exciting season we finished 5 I think (maybe 6th) in the end. We dropped a point maybe two at home all season... two draws versus Kings Lynn and Edinburgh - no disgrace.

Now no we didn't win anything from a trophy perspective but we were competitive in away matches maybe we should have won more away from Shielfield that year, but we certainly held our own at home. That team was never going to win the league but it was entertaining and still did very well.

I got a facebook message from a fellow Bandits fan earlier this week (not emilali) who greeted my Hello with a "thank god, that's over" I will spare his identity but he is a real person. His opinion is one I value, we need to change something, the current strategy has not proved fruitful on-track.

Too conclude if Mr J Anderson stated he and his management team were going to go balls out for the title, we probably wouldn't run the following season. That being said Scott, knowing the market and a bit of wheeling and dealing and we can be up there without winning league titles or going bust. Off track we've done great things and been taken to the next level. On-track for me sadly we are no further forward, we put too much emphasis on the entertainer, as Tourettes states we need gaters, in essence for 2014

Good post RH. I see the time on it, you have been up late or up early?

Dearest Scott

So you've moved away from the "winning" tack now.

You have also moved away from the "entertainment" line.

Interestingly - curiously - you now seem to be an advocate of the "gate and go".

A classic example of why the current promotion will never win against your point of view.

You don't really know what you want: do you?

• Like 1

7riders committed to the Bandits and a decent prepared track every week is all we need.The rest will take care of itself.

• Like 4

7riders committed to the Bandits and a decent prepared track every week is all we need.The rest will take care of itself.

Especially riders committed to the Bandits, that is something that I really want to see change next season.

I would take the track from Sky meeting onward, but you know how much I know about track prep!

• Like 1

So you've moved away from the "winning" tack now.

You have also moved away from the "entertainment" line.

Interestingly - curiously - you now seem to be an advocate of the "gate and go".

A classic example of why the current promotion will never win against your point of view.

You don't really know what you want: do you?

Scott, why can you not accept different people have differing opinions on speedway, without getting personal. It appears you believe everything is O.K. as it is, others do not. Everyone needs to be able to step back and look at themselves, that includes our promotion. As you have said, they have achieved many good things at Shielfield Park, some important like the fence, others of less importance like catering. Not only at Berwick, crowds have fallen drastically, there has to be a reason, my belief is at Berwick we have settled into a safe track with processional racing and the fans are not being entertained, so are not willing to hand over their hard earned cash if in their opinion are not getting value for money. Priority for 2014 must be track preperation, as that is the biggest complaint I get on a daily basis, followed by the team set up, and it's effectiveness to entertain the paying public. It is no use preaching to the die-hards, people like myself will be there, it is really important to re-engage with those fans that no longer attend, also the reasons they no longer attend. The more constructive the arguament, the more likely a concensus can be found, and more likely speedway at Berwick will continue.

• Like 1

Scott, why can you not accept different people have differing opinions on speedway, without getting personal. It appears you believe everything is O.K. as it is, others do not. Everyone needs to be able to step back and look at themselves, that includes our promotion. As you have said, they have achieved many good things at Shielfield Park, some important like the fence, others of less importance like catering. Not only at Berwick, crowds have fallen drastically, there has to be a reason, my belief is at Berwick we have settled into a safe track with processional racing and the fans are not being entertained, so are not willing to hand over their hard earned cash if in their opinion are not getting value for money. Priority for 2014 must be track preperation, as that is the biggest complaint I get on a daily basis, followed by the team set up, and it's effectiveness to entertain the paying public. It is no use preaching to the die-hards, people like myself will be there, it is really important to re-engage with those fans that no longer attend, also the reasons they no longer attend. The more constructive the arguament, the more likely a concensus can be found, and more likely speedway at Berwick will continue.

Taffy, I am not getting personal.

I am pointing out that Robin's arguments are often contradictory.

Of course it is essential that more fans are attracted to the sport all through the country.

The problem is that while soi disant fans stay away, the pot to improve the product shrinks, and it becomes a vicious circle.

If the fans believe that they are the ones who make the sport possible, then it must follow that they are the ones who can make it impossible.

The Sky meeting brought a few new faces along who have stuck, so it cannot be that bad.

One of them is constantly boggled by people talking about the track and gets fed up with it.

He wouldn't go to a rugby or football match and talk about the pitch every week.

Another has been dragged in to the rut of complaining about the track every week, but has no clue why.

The mindset in speedway is probably the biggest danger to the sport, not specifically fans either.

I'm clear I am in the minority that I just like to go along to the speedway and enjoy it. As simple as that.

So, I guess that the die-hards need to be pleased: but, many of the the die-hards seem to be unpleaseable.

• Like 1

Taffy, I am not getting personal.

I am pointing out that Robin's arguments are often contradictory.

Of course it is essential that more fans are attracted to the sport all through the country.

The problem is that while soi disant fans stay away, the pot to improve the product shrinks, and it becomes a vicious circle.

If the fans believe that they are the ones who make the sport possible, then it must follow that they are the ones who can make it impossible.

The Sky meeting brought a few new faces along who have stuck, so it cannot be that bad.

One of them is constantly boggled by people talking about the track and gets fed up with it.

He wouldn't go to a rugby or football match and talk about the pitch every week.

Another has been dragged in to the rut of complaining about the track every week, but has no clue why.

The mindset in speedway is probably the biggest danger to the sport, not specifically fans either.

I'm clear I am in the minority that I just like to go along to the speedway and enjoy it. As simple as that.

So, I guess that the die-hards need to be pleased: but, many of the the die-hards seem to be unpleaseable.

Unfortunately you are in the minority ,many have just deserted for the reasons being mentioned .how you can use a Rugby or Football Pitch as an example is beyond me I am afraid.

Don't know if that puts you in a minority to be fair mate.

Out of those who attend over the course of a season how many feel the need to voice their concerns on forums and social media 4 or 5?

Given the numbers who attend the shop can only imaginable an additional 2 or 3 at best who aren't happy but aren't internet users.

Talking a pretty small percentage.

Despite what you read on here (and it easy to think it is many, but it's not its just the same faces and same recycled stuff week in week out ) it does seem the majority are actually pretty happy.

Be it the die hards who travel up and down the country and are there every week, people who attend the glam meetings or the people who make it when they can.

The "problems" (if that's how some choose to pitch them) are country wide and deep rooted.

There are number of reasons people don't attend speedway in the numbers they used to, it is beyond simplistic to say "it's down to the track"

Irrespective of what is written on here the sport actually thrives in a town and catchment area like Berwick.

Clearly some (4 or 5) are of the opinion that it doesn't, and more power to their elbow for having an "opinion" but when that opinion isn't shared by the majority, there must be a reason why not? What ever could that reason be?

Re the team.

I would have Alden back in a heart beat, at worst he will hold his average, you do feel though that it will click one year and he will be a 9 point man.

Edited by wjm
  • Like 1

Unfortunately you are in the minority ,many have just deserted for the reasons being mentioned .how you can use a Rugby or Football Pitch as an example is beyond me I am afraid.

It's the surface that the sport takes place on.

You get some horrific pitches, usually due to weather, lots of OK pitches.

It's not the centre point of discussion at the match, though.

Maybe all that is left to the sport are "expert" fans, with very few who go to it because it is something different that they just enjoy.

After all, there is nothing more wearing when you go along for a bit of fun and enjoyment, to get a load of greeting in your lug: it soon takes the fun away.

However, one just needs to read almost every thread on here to get the picture...

Don't know if that puts you in a minority to be fair mate.

Out of those who attend over the course of a season how many feel the need to voice their concerns on forums and social media 4 or 5?

Given the numbers who attend the shop can only imaginable an additional 2 or 3 at best who aren't happy but aren't internet users.

Talking a pretty small percentage.

Despite what you read on here (and it easy to think it is many, but it's not its just the same faces and same recycled stuff week in week out ) it does seem the majority are actually pretty happy.

Be it the die hards who travel up and down the country and are there every week, people who attend the glam meetings or the people who make it when they can.

The "problems" (if that's how some choose to pitch them) are country wide and deep rooted.

There are number of reasons people don't attend speedway in the numbers they used to, it is beyond simplistic to say "it's down to the track"

Irrespective of what is written on here the sport actually thrives in a town and catchment area like Berwick.

Clearly some (4 or 5) are of the opinion that it doesn't, and more power to their elbow for having an "opinion" but when that opinion isn't shared by the majority, there must be a reason why not? What ever could that reason be?

Re the team.

I would have Alden back in a heart beat, at worst he will hold his average, you do feel though that it will click one year and he will be a 9 point man.

You're right, the problems are far less simplistic in the sport in general.

You're also right about speedway thriving in Berwick.

Compare it to much larger sports such as rugby and football, and the crowds are even more impressive.

Most of the people I know do go an enjoy the night.

Some even take the P out of the track saga comments, a few get a bit fed up.

You're also right, there are less than a handful who actually find it so disappointing that they come on here to voice their discontent.

The good old Internet forum is a very interesting psychological profiling tool!

It's the surface that the sport takes place on.

You get some horrific pitches, usually due to weather, lots of OK pitches.

It's not the centre point of discussion at the match, though.

Maybe all that is left to the sport are "expert" fans, with very few who go to it because it is something different that they just enjoy.

After all, there is nothing more wearing when you go along for a bit of fun and enjoyment, to get a load of greeting in your lug: it soon takes the fun away.

However, one just needs to read almost every thread on here to get the picture...

You're right, the problems are far less simplistic in the sport in general.

You're also right about speedway thriving in Berwick.

Compare it to much larger sports such as rugby and football, and the crowds are even more impressive.

Most of the people I know do go an enjoy the night.

Some even take the P out of the track saga comments, a few get a bit fed up.

You're also right, there are less than a handful who actually find it so disappointing that they come on here to voice their discontent.

The good old Internet forum is a very interesting psychological profiling tool!

I commented to your good self that the crowd attending Ricky's. Meeting last Sat used to be a normal attendance at Berwick a few years ago,given that ,I am pleased to know that the sport is still thriving in the area giving the crowd levels I have witnessed this season.Once again you are comparing to other sports in the area which is irrelevant to the subject being discussed.It is only last winter that the plugged was going to be pulled if suitable Sponsership could not be found.Speedway in UK is not thriving at any track IMO Edited by Fromafar

I commented to your good self that the crowd attending Ricky's. Meeting last Sat used to be a normal attendance at Berwick a few years ago,given that ,I am pleased to know that the sport is still thriving in the area giving the crowd levels I have witnessed this season.Once again you are comparing to other sports in the area which is irrelevant to the subject being discussed.It is only last winter that the plugged was going to be pulled if suitable Sponsership could not be found.Speedway in UK is not thriving at any track IMO

Yes, but you don't go on and on about it like some others do. We chat about a number of things: and agree on most!

I don't, however, agree that the comparison to other sports is irrelevant.

It is a barometer of how sport is supported in the area. It clearly is not too high up people's list.

In terms of what crowds used to be, it's dangerous to use that as a comparison because it is largely a reflection of the current times.

As are crowd levels today. We discussed this when talking about Once a Jolly Swagman.

I'm not sure that a lot of the changes the enthusiasts want would make in difference in attracting new fans, although it might bring a few back.

One thing that is for sure, people constantly picking fault will only have one effect.

Fortunately, the majority of speedway folk I know don't even look on here.

Yes, but you don't go on and on about it like some others do. We chat about a number of things: and agree on most!

I don't, however, agree that the comparison to other sports is irrelevant.

It is a barometer of how sport is supported in the area. It clearly is not too high up people's list.

In terms of what crowds used to be, it's dangerous to use that as a comparison because it is largely a reflection of the current times.

As are crowd levels today. We discussed this when talking about Once a Jolly Swagman.

I'm not sure that a lot of the changes the enthusiasts want would make in difference in attracting new fans, although it might bring a few back.

One thing that is for sure, people constantly picking fault will only have one effect.

Fortunately, the majority of speedway folk I know don't even look on here.

Crowds getting smaller and Wages and expenses getting bigger don't suggest a thriving business.like you say though 4or 5 people expressing negative views won't make any difference overall because you reckon the majority of fans don't even look on here,after all it is a forum where fans can express their views,Good to hear that everything is rosy in the BigEddie world.

Crowds getting smaller and Wages and expenses getting bigger don't suggest a thriving business.like you say though 4or 5 people expressing negative views won't make any difference overall because you reckon the majority of fans don't even look on here,after all it is a forum where fans can express their views,Good to hear that everything is rosy in the BigEddie world.

Now, I didn't say it was a thriving business.

It is outperforming other sports in the area in terms of fan-base.

I'm not saying everything is rosy, but greetin' faces do have an impact; not necessary online either.

I still don't quite get this concept that a forum is a heavily visited place for people to have their opinions.

Most people still do this in real life.

Now, I didn't say it was a thriving business.

It is outperforming other sports in the area in terms of fan-base.

I'm not saying everything is rosy, but greetin' faces do have an impact; not necessary online either.

I still don't quite get this concept that a forum is a heavily visited place for people to have their opinions.

Most people still do this in real life.

Fine