British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robinh88

Berwick 2014?

Whoever Bandits choose for the top of their team, there can be no doubt Liam Carr should be offered the final place he fully deserves after his scoring in both leagues over the past couple of months. Liam will be riding for Edinburgh again tomorrow night in their last play-off match, as they clearly think highly of him.

The club's latest newsletter reminds people that as Liam is still at school he cannot earn money to build up his equipment for next season in the way older lads might be able. They highlight a case for local sponsorship of a local lad.

I see Tourettes is buying him a race-suit, any other offers out there?

Whoever Bandits choose for the top of their team, there can be no doubt Liam Carr should be offered the final place he fully deserves after his scoring in both leagues over the past couple of months. Liam will be riding for Edinburgh again tomorrow night in their last play-off match, as they clearly think highly of him.

The club's latest newsletter reminds people that as Liam is still at school he cannot earn money to build up his equipment for next season in the way older lads might be able. They highlight a case for local sponsorship of a local lad.

I see Tourettes is buying him a race-suit, any other offers out there?

Whilst your on here asking for sponsorship can we assume you will be sponsoring him?

Neimenen/Bjerre

Bellego

Harrison

Wethers

Smith

Starke

Lee Smart, scored 13-14 points here a few years ago

Is Richard Sweetman back in the UK for 2014?

Without coming up with rider suggestions at this point, I would like to see much more thought into team structure. For the last four seasons the teams at Berwick are a team of racers, racing from the back because non can gate. 1) A team in depth 2 x 8 pointers 2 x 7 pointers 1 x 6.5 and and 2 x 3 point reserves ( no big names like Gjedde & Kennet ). 2) When selecting riders, two things should come to mind, can they gate, and can they team ride. Something sorely missing in the the last couple of seasons, with some riders who had to win at any cost. 3) A track prepared to a consistant high standard, preferably slick to suit current engine set ups, the Under 21 FIM meeting proved the point, they can do it. I would say 30% of track prep has been fair with the odd really good prep FIM & Sky, the other 70% poorly prepared too deep creating one race line, with the consequence being Gate&Go meetings. They have shown on occasional meetings they can do it, all I ask as a fan is do it 90% of the time, it will pay by increasing the gate. Surely fans deserve to be entertained. I hope fans don't see this as knocking the club, it is not, I hope it is constructive critisism, because if things do not change to improve the entertainment, we will have no speedway at Berwick. So, please, please, no more about pies, toilets, fences, FIM meetings Sky meetings etc.etc. Give the fans high quality, entertaining, close racing, every week of the season, I am there to watch speedway, not to eat pies, I like my pint or pints after the meeting, not during, I am there to watch speedway.

• Like 2

Tourettes

Our problem has been we have been tracking 4 riders in 7 man team not utilising our full scoring power (since Mr Anderson and Co took over), then again its less points to pay out. We know how to track a good team, we tracked one at the back end of 2010. But I do agree with you I don't think a big name is a problem but they need to ride like 9-10 point riders.

Revert back to 2011 even IF Charlie had loved the Berwick hospatality the team I don't think would have faired hugely better, why? Because we had two horrendous reserves with Stichauer struggling and Complin who was only really scoring well at home that season. Compare it too Glasgow who had Screen who would have averaged 9 something but as well as a solid middle order, they had Morris, Rajkowski and Theo Pijper interchanging in the reserve posistions.

Hate using Newcastle as a role model, but George English selects his team to a tee. No one rider has too ride above himself every meeting, why? because all 6 other riders usually contribute.

Berwick for 2013 were screwed from the start with the reserve choices that were made. I guess that's Speedway but had we had Mickey Dyer in there it would have been intresting to see what happened. Then again we had no figurehead and Aspegren's scores in Sweden mid season said it all about his commitment to Berwick Speedway.

The stadium is great, that's not me being sarcastic either, it would be nice to get the feel good factor back with a winning side its been almost 5-6 years now. We don't need World beaters or big hitters like Doyle or Cook, although it would help in the big races. 7 commited blokes who want to be here and attend all the matches on the correct starting averages and we should do well.

With regard to the cuisine and facilities, it's all part of the experience, Taffy. You just need to see the queues to understand that it is important.

Your numbers on track prep. are a bit suspect, a few too many % in there. I would be a bit more simplistic: 50% good, 40% not bad, 5% excellent, 5% poor (very early in the season, probably due to new material needing to bind through).

I agree with the strength in depth throughout, although I would go for higher averaged reserves than you have.

On the other hand, I do like having a true number 1 that you can rely on (Adrian at his best, and Ricky).

I also agree that the big names have created initial excitement, but, other than Ashworth, have been a big let down.

Tourettes

Our problem has been we have been tracking 4 riders in 7 man team not utilising our full scoring power (since Mr Anderson and Co took over), then again its less points to pay out. We know how to track a good team, we tracked one at the back end of 2010. But I do agree with you I don't think a big name is a problem but they need to ride like 9-10 point riders.

Revert back to 2011 even IF Charlie had loved the Berwick hospatality the team I don't think would have faired hugely better, why? Because we had two horrendous reserves with Stichauer struggling and Complin who was only really scoring well at home that season. Compare it too Glasgow who had Screen who would have averaged 9 something but as well as a solid middle order, they had Morris, Rajkowski and Theo Pijper interchanging in the reserve posistions.

Hate using Newcastle as a role model, but George English selects his team to a tee. No one rider has too ride above himself every meeting, why? because all 6 other riders usually contribute.

Berwick for 2013 were screwed from the start with the reserve choices that were made. I guess that's Speedway but had we had Mickey Dyer in there it would have been intresting to see what happened. Then again we had no figurehead and Aspegren's scores in Sweden mid season said it all about his commitment to Berwick Speedway.

The stadium is great, that's not me being sarcastic either, it would be nice to get the feel good factor back with a winning side its been almost 5-6 years now. We don't need World beaters or big hitters like Doyle or Cook, although it would help in the big races. 7 commited blokes who want to be here and attend all the matches on the correct starting averages and we should do well.

Erm, whilst I agree with the majority of your post: we won silverware last year.

Remind me what we won previous to that, and when.

Tourettes

Nothing wrong with using George English as a person who can not only spot potential and go for it but also put together a good balanced team. I have a lot of time for George, looking at the way he does things would do no harm only good. Just look at Worral, then this year Kerr now Rosen, what superb signings for Newcastle.

• Like 1

4's is a nice bonus but for me it doesn't carry anywhere near the same meaning as a League Title a culmination of 25 meetings possibly with play offs, thats the big prize, none of this turn up and pull it out the bag. Those 4 blokes had a lot of ability anyway but the other 3 in the team didn't cut it hence our 2012 placing.. It's a 7 man Sport same with the Pairs but I'm sure Scott you revelled in the victory and were there with the guys encouraging them with every turn of the wheel.

If we had George English as TM we'd be Top 4-5 every season. We've got who we have, lets hope for a better 2014

With regard to the cuisine and facilities, it's all part of the experience, Taffy. You just need to see the queues to understand that it is important.

Your numbers on track prep. are a bit suspect, a few too many % in there. I would be a bit more simplistic: 50% good, 40% not bad, 5% excellent, 5% poor (very early in the season, probably due to new material needing to bind through).

I agree with the strength in depth throughout, although I would go for higher averaged reserves than you have.

On the other hand, I do like having a true number 1 that you can rely on (Adrian at his best, and Ricky).

I also agree that the big names have created initial excitement, but, other than Ashworth, have been a big let down.

Erm, whilst I agree with the majority of your post: we won silverware last year.

Remind me what we won previous to that, and when.

Scott, I am sure people who go to the cinema, part of thier experience is to have a bucket of coke to wash down a bucket of popcorn, after the film pop in somewhere for a bucket of chicken with a bucket of chips washed down with a another bucket of coke. I just go to watch the film.

Tourettes

Think you right on Dyer, that could have given top six position for your team?

...it would be nice to get the feel good factor back with a winning side its been almost 5-6 years now.

4's is a nice bonus but for me it doesn't carry anywhere near the same meaning as a League Title...we'd be Top 4-5 every season. We've got who we have, lets hope for a better 2014

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the to word "winning".

Top 4-5 in the league wins diddly squat.

Now: here comes the big one, neither does top 2-3.

Only the top team wins (this is, of course, not taking playoffs into account...).

I don't recall us winning the league in the past 5 - 6 years.

In fact, the only major title we have won recently is the fours last year.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

What is your definition of winning?

:blink:

Liam Carr is riding for Monarchs tonight too, at Ipswich. Must have bagged off school!

any other offers out there?

Glasgow could sign him to replace Bellego. :rolleyes:

• Like 1