British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Leicester Lions (pl) Followed By Nl Challenge- Bank Holiday Monday, August 26th (3pm)

SCORPIONS LOOKING FOR WINNING STREAK

HENDERSON INSURANCE Scunthorpe Scorpions head into a busy few days – knowing that they must win every meeting to keep alive their hopes of reaching the Premier League play-offs.

The Scorpions are currently in eighth place in the Premier League table on 27 points. They can score a maximum of 42 points, if they win their remaining four fixtures by seven points or more. 42 points would probably secure a place in the top six; there’s a possibility that 41 points may get the Scorpions into the play-offs, but 40 points probably would not.

It looks like Redcar could well finish on 41 points; Leicester will probably also finish around that figure. Workington are already on 39 points, but both their remaining home meetings are difficult – to Newcastle & Edinburgh. With fixtures in hand, Rye House (currently tenth) can’t be ruled out, although a home draw against Ipswich last Saturday dented their chances.

Four teams are nailed on for the play-offs – Somerset, Edinburgh, Ipswich and Newcastle. Beyond that, it looks to be a three-way battle between Workington, Redcar and Leicester to fill the other two places, with Scunthorpe & Rye House having outside chances.

Scunthorpe’s remaining fixtures are at home to Leicester on Bank Holiday Monday, and away to Sheffield (tonight – Thursday), Plymouth (tomorrow - Friday) and Rye House (a week on Saturday).

Promoter Rob Godfrey says: “We won’t give up on the play-offs until they are mathematically out of our reach.

“It’s a tough ask. However, the team we are now tracking is very strong. We’re using rider replacement for the unlucky David Howe and he’s second in our averages, which means everyone can take an extra ride for him. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could end up taking the results we need from our final four meetings.

“Our skipper Ashley Birks has declared himself fit again, following his problems with his scaphoid. We won’t have Ash at Sheffield, because it’s a rearranged fixture, so his Elite League meeting at Swindon takes precedence. We’ve booked Tyson Nelson as a guest for Ash, because he recently top scored (paid 13) for Rye House when they won at Sheffield. Sheffield have a few injury problems and we need to take advantage of that.

“Ash is back for Plymouth tomorrow. For that meeting, we will need our gating boots on, but we do now have several riders who are good gaters.

“Plymouth have just signed Michael Palm Toft as a replacement for the injured Kalle Katajisto. It’s great to see Michael fixed up again – he’s a great lad. It was in my thoughts to bring Michael back in, in the place of David. But then Plymouth approached me, and really it was in Michael’s best interests to sign for them. They have more guaranteed meetings left, plus a change of home track often does the trick for a rider.”

The big event of the weekend for Scunthorpe is the home meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Bank Holiday Monday (3pm) – a double-header featuring the Scorpions in Premier League action against Leicester, followed by a National League challenge match between the Scunthorpe Saints and the Halifax Dukes.

Godfrey enthuses: “It’s a big meeting whatever. It’s crucial to Leicester’s play-off hopes, and we hope it’s crucial to ours as well. As long as we get the results from Sheffield and Plymouth, it could be a hugely significant match for us. In any case, it’s our last home regular Premier League match, so we really want to win it.

“Leicester are always good value at the Eddie Wright Raceway and we need to be at the top of our game to take all three points.

“We have the return of a couple of past Scorpions’ heroes. Magnus Karlsson is part of the Leicester team. Plus in the second half, Wayne Carter (our training officer) is riding for Halifax. That’s going to generate interest both from Halifax, because he comes from there, and also Scunthorpe, because he was the main man for us in the 2005 Conference League, in our very first season at the Eddie Wright Raceway. Hopefully Wayne can attract back a few lapsed fans from that first season.

“All-in-all, it promises to be a fantastic afternoon of action.”

Monday’s adult admission price for the double-header is £16. It’s just £2 more than a single Premier League meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway, for 15 extra heats of action.

The circuit rightfully won the award last season for being the best racetrack in the Premier League, so a full and exciting day of racing is ahead.

Scunthorpe will hold their collection for the Speedway Riders’ Benevolent Fund on Monday.

Double Header Admission Prices:

Adult: £16.00

Student/OAP: £14.00

Child (10 - 16): £5.00

Child (0 - 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £37 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-16)

Match Programme: £1.00

Expected teams for Monday (English unless stated):

Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions: 1. Josh Auty, 2. David Howe R/R, 3. Nicolai Klindt (Denmark), 4. Ashley Birks, 5. Thomas Jørgensen (Denmark), 6. Ryan Douglas (Australia), 7. Lewis Blackbird.

Leicester Lions: 1. Lasse Bjerre (Denmark), 2. Kauko Nieminen R/R, 3. Kevin Doolan (Australia), 4. Jan Graversen (Denmark), 5. Magnus Karlsson (Sweden), 6. Alex Edberg (Sweden) or guest, 7. James Sarjeant.

Scunthorpe Saints: 1. Oliver Greenwood, 2. Arron Mogridge, 3. Danny Phillips, 4. Shane Waldron, 5. Matt Williamson, 6. Sam Chapman, 7. Andrew Blackburn.

Halifax Dukes: 1. Wayne Carter, 2. Lee Springthorpe, 3. Danny Hodgson, 4. Paul Burnett, 5. Luke Chessell, 6. Krystian Bialecki, 7. Adam Extance.

Leicester Lions at EWR

Ave Ave Best

Name Lge M R Pts BP (no BP) (w BP) Performance

Lasse Bjerre PL 5 25 41 2 6.56 6.88 11 from 6 rides (2011)

Kevin Doolan PL 10 48 79 4 6.58 6.92 14 from 5 rides (2008)

Alexander Edberg PL 1 5 6 1 4.80 5.60 6 + 1 from 5 rides

Jan Graversen PL 19 83 92 24 4.43 5.59 9 + 4 from 7 rides (2012)

Magnus Karlsson PL 68 316 646 45 8.18 8.75 18 from 5 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2011))

James Sarjeant PL 1 4 1 0 1.00 1.00 1 from 4 rides (2012)

Other Notes

Lasse Bjerre

2011 Danish Under-21 Champion.

Member of Denmark's World Under-21 Team Cup Championship Winning Team in 2010.

Member of Ipswich's Premier League Fours Championship Winning Team in 2010.

Named as a 'doubling-up' rider with King's Lynn during the 2013 Elite League season.

Kevin Doolan

Member of King's Lynn's Premier League KO Cup and Young Shield Winning Teams in 2005.

Member of King's Lynn's Premier League Championship, KO Cup and Premier Trophy Winning Teams in 2006.

Member of Workington's Premier League Four-Team Championship Winning Team in 2009.

Member of Ipswich's Premier League Four-Team Championship Winning Team in 2011.

Named as a 'doubling-up' rider with Lakeside during the 2013 Elite League season.

Alexander Edberg

First rode in this country, making his Premier League debut in 2011 for Berwick.

Jan Graversen

Former Scunthorpe Scorpion who won the Kenny Smith Memorial Trophy in 2010.

Member of King's Lynn's Premier League Championship, Premier Trophy and KO Cup Winning Teams in 2009.

Magnus Karlsson

Former Scunthorpe Scorpion who scored 1300 points for the club.

Member of Hull's Premier League Championship, KO Cup and Young Shield Winning Teams in 2004.

Member of Edinburgh's Premier League Championship Winning Team in 2003.

James Sarjeant

Rode for Scunthorpe Saints in 2009.

Rides in this year's National League with Coventry.

Signed to replace his NL team-mate Robert Branford and made his debut in the home meeting against the Scorpions.

Leicester Lions' 2013 Results

29 March 2013 LC A L Leicester 44 Scunthorpe 46

30 March 2013 LC H W Leicester 47 Sheffield 43

06 April 2013 LC H W Leicester 52 Scunthorpe 38

11 April 2013 LC A L Leicester 39 Sheffield 51

12 April 2013 KOC A L Leicester 31 Edinburgh 58

13 April 2013 KOC H W Leicester 46 Edinburgh 44 (On agg - L: 77 - 102)

20 April 2013 PL H W Leicester 53 Redcar 37

03 May 2013 PL A L Leicester 32 Somerset 62

06 May 2013 PL A L Leicester 37 Ipswich 53

11 May 2013 PL A L Leicester 40 Berwick 52

12 May 2013 PL H W Leicester 48 Ipswich 44

18 May 2013 PL H W Leicester 53 Workington 40

19 May 2013 PL A W Leicester 49 Glasgow 40

24 May 2013 PL A W Leicester 52 Plymouth 38

25 May 2013 PL H W Leicester 46 Plymouth 44

30 May 2013 PL A W Leicester 46 Sheffield 44

08 June 2013 PL H W Leicester 55 Glasgow 39

22 June 2013 PL H L Leicester 46 Somerset 47

28 June 2013 PL A L Leicester 37 Edinburgh 52

06 July 2013 PL A L Leicester 36 Workington 58

13 July 2013 PL H W Leicester 46 Newcastle 44

28 July 2013 PL H W Leicester 49 Sheffield 44

03 August 2013 PL H W Leicester 46 Scunthorpe 43

10 August 2013 PL A L Leicester 45 Rye House 48

11 August 2013 PL H L Leicester 44 Rye House 45

15 August 2013 PL A W Leicester 47 Redcar 37

Leicester Lions' Results at EWR

08 July 2011 PL L Scunthorpe 53 Leicester 40

16 September 2011 PL (Ph 2) W Scunthorpe 43 Leicester 50

16 March 2012 KSMT L Scunthorpe 46 Leicester 44

10 August 2012 PL L Scunthorpe 51 Leicester 42

29 March 2013 LC L Scunthorpe 46 Leicester 44

(stats courtesy of John Eyre)

Edited by lucifer sam

I'm really looking forward to this one, I always seem to end up watching Speedway in Scunthorpe on a Bank Holiday for some reason.

I honestly can't predict who will win this. I hope the sun shines and we have some great racing.

This is looking even more of a cracker now.

Leicester really needing at least a point from the meeting, while Scunny - on the back of two away wins - trying to keep alive their own faint chances of a play-off place. Yep it's a long shot to reach the play-offs on 40 points, but at the moment it's still just about possible to do it.

All the best

Rob

i think with leicester likely to be missing two key riders and scunthorpe riding on a bit of a high at the moment its a bit of a tall order and very unlikely leicester will come away with anything from this meeting but i hope the lads prove me wrong.

i think with leicester likely to be missing two key riders and scunthorpe riding on a bit of a high at the moment its a bit of a tall order and very unlikely leicester will come away with anything from this meeting but i hope the lads prove me wrong.

The Lions have always done very well at the EWR and looks like you will need to win to make the Playoff,which should really fire them up,also expect good support to travel to support them,it will be close no doubt

Think R/R will be better for Leicester, as Nemo has been struggling a bit.

The past 3 times I've seen Nemo at Scunny he has practically done nothing, so I don't think he will be a big miss on this occasion. Doolen, Karlsson and Graverson all usually go well there. It's going to be a good meeting.

Absolutely key fixture for Leicester now. I can see plenty of their fans making the relatively short journey to Scunny.

As for the Scorpions, let's just get the three points and see where it puts us.

All the best

Rob

Weather looking good for this afternoon.

And don't forget to bring your pennies (notes if you like!), because Scunny are doing their Ben Fund collection this afternoon.

All the best

Rob

Just a word of warning, if anyone was planning on watching this on Updates, we are really struggling for an updater (40 texts sent thus far with no results in an attempt to secure one), so there is a very real possibility that we may not be covering the meeting.

I apologise in advance for this.

Meeting was a bit stop start but was great fun stood with the Leicester fans, who came in numbers, Great to meet a few of them and stand amongest them on bend 1.