British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions V Leicester Lions (pl) Followed By Nl Challenge- Bank Holiday Monday, August 26th (3pm)

Steve Worrall guests

What were Leicester doing having a reserve who scored 0 against his old team and his current team are in direct competition with us for the final play off place. He is really going to give it his all. its matches like these that really leave a sour taste. We could have easily won or at least got a point from it. How come only Magnus could carry his form over from last night? I think Magnus has done a sterling job since his return and I doubt a fully fit Adam Roynon would have done better. So what has happened at Leicester? We were going along fine, winning at home and away. Then team morale seemed to plummet. Anything to do with the Somerset defeat? Come on Leicester get your act together.

The meeting wasn't to usual Scunny standards, probably because of slick and dusty track. To be fair, it was very hot and somewhat breezy so such condtions are pretty much inevitable.

One extraordinary point: the decision not to exclude Klindt when he touched the tapes in heat 5. True, virtually all the riders were moving but I have never seen a rider who then touches the tapes not be excluded in 50 meetings this season.

Its the kind of refereeing inconsistency that annoys the hell out of supporters and does nothing to improve the reputation that they have.

The meeting wasn't to usual Scunny standards, probably because of slick and dusty track. To be fair, it was very hot and somewhat breezy so such condtions are pretty much inevitable.

One extraordinary point: the decision not to exclude Klindt when he touched the tapes in heat 5. True, virtually all the riders were moving but I have never seen a rider who then touches the tapes not be excluded in 50 meetings this season.

Its the kind of refereeing inconsistency that annoys the hell out of supporters and does nothing to improve the reputation that they have.

I think he was allowed to stay in because something happened with the red lights,they came on or something like that when they shouldn't have

• Like 1

If I'm honest I was a bit disappointed with Leicester.

Karlsson was excellent but the only real back up he had came from Graversen. I thought Doolan would have performed better than he did and Bjerre was unlucky. But, I suppose thinking about it we were always going to struggle with the reserve pairing we had. Story of the season I guess.

If I'm honest I was a bit disappointed with Leicester.

Karlsson was excellent but the only real back up he had came from Graversen. I thought Doolan would have performed better than he did and Bjerre was unlucky. But, I suppose thinking about it we were always going to struggle with the reserve pairing we had. Story of the season I guess.

Interesting tactical moves as well... or rather lack of them. :D

All the best

Rob

I think he was allowed to stay in because something happened with the red lights,they came on or something like that when they shouldn't have

Yep, something went wrong, the riders were at the tapes for too long.

All the best

Rob

Interesting tactical moves as well... or rather lack of them. :D

All the best

Rob

I know.........what can I say :o

Edited by nightshift

What did you make of Auty's exclusion from Heat 8? I thought he jumped the start in the second attempt to stage the race, but no way did he cause Bjerre to fall.

Halifax match was quite interesting, with Wayne Carter's races against Matt Williamson and Danny Phillips.

All the best

Rob

What did you make of Auty's exclusion from Heat 8? I thought he jumped the start in the second attempt to stage the race, but no way did he cause Bjerre to fall.

All the best

Rob

Had the worst view in the stadium for that one - I was on the back straight - so I couldn't possibly comment.

Thanks for the clarification on the Klindt tape breaking issue.

One last thing : Having Mr Godfrey on the mic is a bit like having a Scunny fan from the terraces doing it - one with a bit of wit, that is. His 'you're having a giraffe' comment when the referee ordered a re run with two in heat 8 was priceless.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Had the worst view in the stadium for that one - I was on the back straight - so I couldn't possibly comment.

Thanks for the clarification on the Klindt tape breaking issue.

One last thing : Having Mr Godfrey on the mic is a bit like having a Scunny fan from the terraces doing it - one with a bit of wit, that is. His 'you're having a giraffe' comment when the referee ordered a re run with two in heat 8 was priceless.

I think it is wrong to have an official on the mic on the centre green. Some of his comments towards the ref are out of order. Going back to the first match of the season. He called the 2 minuets up with 20 seconds left causing Lewis Blackbird, who was our best rider that day to miss the official 2 mins and have to go off of 15m. If Mr G concentrated on his job and not so much" banter" with the ref. It just sounds like he is trying to influence the ref all of the time.

I think it is wrong to have an official on the mic on the centre green. Some of his comments towards the ref are out of order. Going back to the first match of the season. He called the 2 minuets up with 20 seconds left causing Lewis Blackbird, who was our best rider that day to miss the official 2 mins and have to go off of 15m. If Mr G concentrated on his job and not so much" banter" with the ref. It just sounds like he is trying to influence the ref all of the time.

Nonsense.

He is far better than that other bloke they used to have, you get the impression he is there for your benefit rather than the other way around and he knows his speedway.

As far as I was concerned, his comments towards the refereeing decisions on Monday were spot on (taking into Rob's comments regarding the Auty exclusion above) and were what the fan on the terraces would say. He might get in trouble for it, but why shouldn't the announcer comment on crap decisions ?

As to influencing the referee that is positively :rofl:

• Like 2

I've heard it all now :rofl: :rofl:

Are you for real? The centre green presenter is there to keep the fans informed and to add a little in the overall entertainment stakes. With his inner knowledge of speedway and irreverent and witty style, Rob G certainly fits those critieria. Most centre green presenters are a little bland; Mr Godfrey is certainly not that.

And if you seriously think any ref is actually going to be influenced by something said over the mic, then I don't know quite what to say. :rofl:

I'd be slightly more concerned, if I were you, over the lack of any tactical rides on Monday. ;)

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Are you for real? The centre green presenter is there to keep the fans informed and to add a little in the overall entertainment stakes. With his inner knowledge of speedway and irreverent and witty style, Rob G certainly fits those critieria. Most centre green presenters are a little bland; Mr Godfrey is certainly not that.

And if you seriously think any ref is actually going to be influenced by something said over the mic, then I don't know quite what to say. :rofl:

I'd be slightly more concerned, if I were you, over the lack of any tactical rides on Monday. ;)

All the best

Rob

All I'm saying is that I didn't like his style. His constant remarks about the refs decisions are not for me , thank you. He would be much better having a bit of banter with the away supporters. This is just my opinion. I do like the track and there was some good racing the twice that I have been.

Nonsense.

He is far better than that other bloke they used to have, you get the impression he is there for your benefit rather than the other way around and he knows his speedway.

As far as I was concerned, his comments towards the refereeing decisions on Monday were spot on (taking into Rob's comments regarding the Auty exclusion above) and were what the fan on the terraces would say. He might get in trouble for it, but why shouldn't the announcer comment on crap decisions ?

As to influencing the referee that is positively :rofl:

And from what I have seen most of the refs enjoy a bit of banter with him also,its is rumoured that a certain female ref opened the window in the refs box and gave him the "finger" after his spec savers comments--all a good laugh either way

i thought Godfrey was good value and not over the top. Also thought ref got Auty's exclusion correct. Twice he came off gate 3 'looking' for Bjerre and 'found' him both times. Gate 4 round the outside was decent all afternoon

All the best

Rob

Refs may not be influenced but riders can! Lewis Blackbird was penalised because of him when Leoicester visited early in the season!