British Speedway Forum

They say you become blinkered when you go to the same place on a regular basis. I like many other fall into that trap. My visits to Rye House are the same virtually every week. Park the Stummo mobile pay to the delightful young ladies at the turnstiles. Walk to my position at the starting gate terracing. Maybe get some supper from the fish bar, although that’s quite a rarity now.

So last week in the drizzle I decided to have a walk around the stadium [why last week heavens knows] to view the racing from a different position. Conclusions are the start terracing is probably the best place to view racing from.

What did concern me around the rest of the stadium was the general condition of the old place on the bends. The seats that were put in a couple or three seasons ago needed a bit of TLC as do some of the structures they’re fixed on, large weeds seem to be getting hold in certain areas. The back straight seems a bit too close for comfort to view racing should a rider or riders decide to have an argument with the safety fence.

With a new air fence on order for the 2014 Rockets, plus any other club who want to share the Hoddesdon raceway [i refer to Midland Development League Milton Keynes as they rode here this year] I wonder what the view will be like from the bends. I know the arguments will linger on as to whether Rye needs an air fence [or similar] but the FIM say, and Rye along with every other league track have to play ball. Of course I guess that could potentially include Iwade [sittingbourne] if they hold junior meetings?

Of the 2013 Rockets who’ll stay and who’ll go? Oliver Allen no doubt will stay to spearhead the team, although he wouldn’t be my number one choice.

Jason Bunyan should he decide to continue racing then I hope it’s at Rye.

Anders Mellgren, he’s not had a gooder season as I expected. He seems to have been lacking a bit of power. Maybe the new silencers are affecting him and he’ll bounce back next year. As a Rye asset now I expect to see him back next year.

Tyson Nelson, as long as he wants to return and gets his visa’s all sorted hope he’ll be back.

Pontus Aspgren, hope he’ll don a rockets jacket in 2014.

Kasper Lykke hasn’t lived up to expectations, needs to up his gating and expect him to be riding elsewhere in 2014.

Jason Garrity 2013 season was going to be a good year for him until that broken leg at Sheffield. Will be very surprised to see him racing anymore this year but expect a fully fit Garrity to do well next year.

So who will Hinge & Bracket [that’s Lenny Silver & Johnny Sampford, whose who though? You decide] pick for the 2014 season?

Interestingly the current averages, unless I’m wrong and I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, are:-

Mellgren 8.77

Aspgren 5.25

Nelson 5.99

Garrity 5.35

Allen 8.77

Bunyan 5.73

So by my reckoning one of those six has to go assuming the points limit is kept to 42? I’d like to see Allen released and Josh Grajczonek in as a replacement. His average surprisingly is lower than Allen’s at 7.53. So that’s my thoughts and no doubt some will think otherwise of the mighty words of Stummo!

Along way out with melgren and Aspgren averages

Allen 8.77

Melgren 7.13

Aspgren 7.04

Nelson 5.99

Bunyan 5.73

Garrity 5.35

Total 40.01

Would love to have Robert Lambert in next year but just can't see him riding a Saturday track.

Boxall could return but on what average?

Will expect Pontus to drop to around the 6 point mark before the season is out. Signing Lambert will be on every PL side's minds if he does decide to do a PL season. If Grajczonek rides PL next season I'd love to see him at Rye but I doubt he'll uproot from Somerset considering they are likely to lose Doyle and Morris to full time EL racing.

With Lambert:

Allen

Mellgren

Aspgren

Garrity

Nelson

Boxall

Lambert

Without Lambert:

Mellgren

Aspgren

Garrity

Nelson

Boxall

Bunyan

Lykke

Either side would do well, preferably the Lambert in option of course as he'll make a mockery of his 3 point average. Boxall on decent machinery and oozing confidence from his NL season can be a big PL rider again no doubt about it.

Robert said at Lynn he want to go EL with Lynn and wont be do Premier as will clash with his riding in Germany.

Seem to recall from a previous thread that the points limit for 2014 was being reduced to 38.5, if that is the case then you stand to lose more than "one" of those riders? I'm sure someone with a better memory than mine will confirm that!! ;)

Seem to recall from a previous thread that the points limit for 2014 was being reduced to 38.5

That's what I was told by a very good source. If that's the case then teams will have a choice of a strong top end with a very long tail, or strength in depth

Edited by Shadders

not too bothered what the limit is, as long as we use up all the pts available. i was not impressed by Lens comment at the start of the season where he said that he didn't look at the averages.Simons Lamberts inclusion this season with about 1.5 pts spare was not right. Hope Len gets it right next year.

Serious question here and only one man can really answer it.....will there be racing at Rye next year? I noticed in last nights NLRC programme that the last meeting at Rye is the KOC final on 6th October.

No Ace of Herts,,,,,,?

No challenges as meeting fillers?

Silver Ski also seem to be mentioned a lot around Sittingbourne/Kent as well.......food for thought

Edit...Mods can you move to PL section please?

Edited by Phil Silvers

Serious question here and only one man can really answer it.....will there be racing at Rye next year?

At the home meeting with Berwick Len mentioned the safety fence for next year. Plans already in place and some of the fence has already been purchased, so I guess the answer is yes

Any insight as to why the season is being curtailed three weeks earlier than normal and no fireworks end of season extravaganza?

Any insight as to why the season is being curtailed three weeks earlier than normal and no fireworks end of season extravaganza?

They're having it tonight at Sittingbourne

Serious question here and only one man can really answer it.....will there be racing at Rye next year? I noticed in last nights NLRC programme that the last meeting at Rye is the KOC final on 6th October.

No Ace of Herts,,,,,,?

No challenges as meeting fillers?

Silver Ski also seem to be mentioned a lot around Sittingbourne/Kent as well.......food for thought

Edit...Mods can you move to PL section please?

A change of leagues for the two clubs in 2014....pure guesswork - at the moment! :unsure:

Probably both airfence related. There's a lot of work to be done to move the fence out to accomodate the airfence and it's probably eaten up the firework budget and more.

Probably both airfence related. There's a lot of work to be done to move the fence out to accomodate the airfence and it's probably eaten up the firework budget and more.

I reckon you've got it just about spot on

A change of leagues for the two clubs in 2014....pure guesswork - at the moment! :unsure:

No chance of Rye House ever going Elite League. Sittingbourne in the PL is a possibility, but not next year.

I reckon you've got it just about spot on

No chance of Rye House ever going Elite League. Sittingbourne in the PL is a possibility, but not next year.

I reckon he meant Rye dropping to the NL and Sittingbourne moving up!