British Speedway Forum

Where does it say under 21?

I can only see 'young brits' mentioned I must agree. Who gets to decide what is the cut off age for 'young' I wonder...

I can only see 'young brits' mentioned I must agree. Who gets to decide what is the cut off age for 'young' I wonder...

It will, as ever, depend on who is asking! :wink:

So, EL teams have to have 2 Brit NL riders at 6 & 7 (but no stipulation for PL teams?!)!!! EL heat leaders against NL reserves in certain heats? Or is there to be a change in race format?

Any changes in EL admission charges for watching 2 NL riders??

They surely can't just race against each other. NL riders should have been compulsory at 6 and 7 in the Premier League. Has doubling up been abolished, as that would be the best way to encourage British talent. This is like 1986 all over again. And who did that produce? Arguably only Sean Wilson and maybe Andy Hackett. Complete utter bollocks expecting people to pay to watch juniors race against seasoned professionals. RIP British speedway.

• Like 3

After a quick look at the averages and working out 10 teams trying to fill 320.00 points with just 50 riders but then you look would could possibly be missing out

The teams listed below are only EXAMPLES and do not include the reserves, just the teams top five and it was hard to find riders to fill the 50 team places with a few riders missing from the line ups

BELLE VUE; Matej Zagar 8.64, Craig Cook 7.40, Richie Worrall 5.78, Kevin Wolbert 5.04, Josh Auty 4.90.

BIRMINGHAM; Martin Smolinski 7.56, Daniel King 7.46, Ben Barker 6.47, Ryan Fisher 5.71, Nicolas Covatti 4.50

COVENTRY; Linus Sundtrom 7.22, Scott Nicholls 7.19, Chris Harris 6.82, Kenneth Hansen 5.82, Aaron Summers 4.79

EASTBOURNE; Bjarne Pedersen 8.12, Jonas Kylmakorpi 7.12, Cameron Woodward 6.34, Simon Gustafsson 5.17, Mikkel Michelson 5.00.

KINGS LYNN; Neils K Iversen 9.12, Mads Korneliussen 6.97, Rory Schlein 6.84, Ricky Wells 5.35, Nicolas Porsing 3.51.

LAKESIDE; Troy Batchelor 8.21, Davey Watt 7.46, Lewis Bridger 6.30, Kim Nilsson 5.18, Richard Lawson 4.80.

LEICESTER; Kennth Bjerre 8.45, Krzysztof Kasprzak 7.97, Patrik Hougaard 6.19, Norbert Kosuich 5.06, Lasse Bjerre 4.28.

POOLE; Chris Holder 9.23, Darcy Ward 9.07, Thomas H Jonasson 5.79, Josh Grajzonek 4.48, Mickey Dyer 3.42.

SWINDON; Peter Kildemand 8.23, Jason Doyle 7.30, Grzegorz Zengota 6.19, Nick Morris 5.90, Kyle Howarth 4.28.

WOLVES; Tai Woffinden 9.20, Peter Karlsson 8.09, Ty Proctor 5.78, Jacob Thorssell 4.61, Nicolai Klindt 4.24

possibly missing;
Hans Andersen 8.34, Krzysztof Buczkowski 7.33, Kenni Larsen 7.10, Seb Ulamek 6.60, Edward Kennett 6.39, Piotr Swiderski 6.22, Adam Skornicki 6.14, Lukas Dryml 5.70, Oliver Allen 5.19, Robert Miskowiak 5.11, Michal Szczepaniak 4.86, Timo Lahti 4.80, Stuart Robson 4.63, Kauko Nieminen 4.62, Rohan Tungate 4.59, Ales Dryml 4.51, Ludvig Lindgren 4.48, Adam Roynon 4.47, Ulrich Ostergaard 4.43, Dakota North 4.23, Kozza Smith 3.76, Ty Nelson 3.59,

In my opinion this is a big mistake which was done the same in the mid 80's when they made the EL teams use just British reserves. At the time there was a number of decent riders that had come through the junior league set up a few years earlier like Sean Wilson, Carl Stonehewer, Andy Hackett, Chris Clarence and Andy Phillips. There was a host more of these riders but sadly when you look back I think only Prawn and Stoney was still riding by the age of 30 with the others having to find full time work to make ends meet or simply lacking confidence after countless nights of one or two points with massive engine bills to be paid.

32.00 for a top five is quite strong when you look at the EXAMPLES above at the line ups that are possible next season with Peterborough able to field a last minute team of Buzckowski, Ulamek, Swiderski, Skornicki and L Dryml with two NL riders at reserve .... a balanced top five like that wont drop many points to NL riders forced to compete in the top level rather than learn their trade in the PL just as Loram, Havelock, Woffinden, Louis, Wigg, Tatum etc have done in the past.

In my opinion it's a massive mistake and when the details are announced, let's see if they have looked at the possible loop holes in the future months after the season has started.
Edited by T.N.T.
  • Like 1

All pretty speculative T.N.T. - the 'possible' Peterborough team you mention comes with serious travel costs - all 5 needing to be 'flown in' for each meeting. The make up of the 2013 team was largely foreign based and, no doubt, their costs figured in the owners ' decision to pull the plug.

Edited by TonyE

They surely can't just race against each other.

It looks like they might adopt the Swedish heat formula of 2 reserve heats which would be very welcome to help them at least try to take points off each other. Will they be out of their depth in other heats? Possibly. They are quite often in Swedish EL racing. But the reserve heats then can prove to be vital.

It says under 21

Can find no mention of an age restriction. But there should be a cap of, say, 23 at most.

are the national league reserves allowed to move into the team if their average allows...or ride as reserves all season ...yet another nail in the speedway coffin

are the national league reserves allowed to move into the team if their average allows...or ride as reserves all season ...yet another nail in the speedway coffin

Despite there being some progress to help the future of the youngsters and British lads at the AGM it seems some are still happy to say another nail in the coffin.

The point you originally raised was a fair one however. Hopefully the reserves will stay in that position all season long. And i hope that will be made clear also.

Yes they stay at reserve all season.

Yes they stay at reserve all season.

Where does it state that? Hope you are right tho.

Where does it state that? Hope you are right tho.

I think it was on the sgp website, it gave much more detail.

It's surely going to be any young, ambitious riders who are basically EL reserve material?

• Like 1

It will be those NL riders not classed as 'wobblers' and some of the lower-end PL Brits, under a certain average (not sure what average?!).

Selections and nominations will be made by the Team GB and U21 management teams into A-grade and B-grade, and the 'allocation' (or draft) to be made in early December. Selected riders will not be required to be attached to a club that is a long way from their base!!

Edited by Skidder1

I think it was on the sgp website, it gave much more detail.

Looks like the same press release to me!

Looks like the same press release to me!

It gives a lot more detail. Says 2 reserve heats and reserves will also face 2nd strings only. Riders from PL and NL with little or no EL experience will qualify and allocation will be based on where they are an asset and/or where the rider is based. The BSPA press release had none of that information.

• Like 3