British Speedway Forum
Nickster

Tactical Rides

I remember the rumour that the GD was introduced to save money. But it doesn't make sense having two races (13 and 15) with the same riders (nearly always) getting paid possibly the highest points money.

I remember the rumour that the GD was introduced to save money. But it doesn't make sense having two races (13 and 15) with the same riders (nearly always) getting paid possibly the highest points money.

It wasn't a rumour, it was confirmed by a number of promoters at the time.

Actually Heat 13 makes perfect sense as the higher earners will be beating each other.

Was it introduced when there was 13 or 15 heats ?

It's pandering to Sky in the hope of keeping meetings (when on TV) interesting for longer by keeping the result open for longer rather than one team getting tonked out of sight

Then please explain why there was a "Tactical" rule in one guise or another in the days of black and white television, let alone before Sky. Also what is the excuse for the Polish League still having a TS rule that is very similar to what was in use in Britain in the 70's and 80's? No doubts the Swedes use something similar too...

Like it or lump it the TR / TS has been part of speedway for longer than we've been around, and they do something to keep meetings alive. Unlike football or rugby (etc) where if one team is way better than the opposition, you can still marvel at their quality of play, in speedway, it has the opposite effect. One team being way better than their opponents leads to boring 4-lap motorcycle processions that do nothing to entertain the paying public. Something has to be in place to counter that, and the TR/TS is what we have.

Then please explain why there was a "Tactical" rule in one guise or another in the days of black and white television, let alone before Sky. Also what is the excuse for the Polish League still having a TS rule that is very similar to what was in use in Britain in the 70's and 80's? No doubts the Swedes use something similar too...

Like it or lump it the TR / TS has been part of speedway for longer than we've been around, and they do something to keep meetings alive. Unlike football or rugby (etc) where if one team is way better than the opposition, you can still marvel at their quality of play, in speedway, it has the opposite effect. One team being way better than their opponents leads to boring 4-lap motorcycle processions that do nothing to entertain the paying public. Something has to be in place to counter that, and the TR/TS is what we have.

As so ably demonstrated by Lakeside last night!!! :D

Well you can't legislate for Agent Watt :)

Actually you CAN usually!!! But not the fact that Bomber 'bombed'!!! :D

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Was it introduced when there was 13 or 15 heats ?

Sorry, my stating heats 13 and 15 in brackets was supposed to give a clue.., even a slight one. It was, therefore, introduced during 15 heats. Had you known anything about speedway, perhaps your question would have been needless. In 1987 13 heats stopped being used and we have had nominated heats ever since, needless in my humble opinion and just increase costs,

Anything else I can educate you on?

Sorry, my stating heats 13 and 15 in brackets was supposed to give a clue.., even a slight one. It was, therefore, introduced during 15 heats. Had you known anything about speedway, perhaps your question would have been needless. In 1987 13 heats stopped being used and we have had nominated heats ever since, needless in my humble opinion and just increase costs,

So you feel that in order to cut costs they should have scrapped the nominated heats and thus reduced the value the paying customer is/was getting even further?

So you feel that in order to cut costs they should have scrapped the nominated heats and thus reduced the value the paying customer is/was getting even further?

Depends on what you term value. You can see the same riders in Heats 13 that appear in the nominated race, and so that must thrust god knows how many hundreds onto the track's/team's wage-bill. Surely any extra races could be introduced using lower-order riders who warrant less bucks per point.

Maybe that is too simple, especially at a time admission is going up, costs the same, and crowds are dipping, which means the ardent fans are forking out for their loyalty...

Sorry, my stating heats 13 and 15 in brackets was supposed to give a clue.., even a slight one. It was, therefore, introduced during 15 heats. Had you known anything about speedway, perhaps your question would have been needless. In 1987 13 heats stopped being used and we have had nominated heats ever since, needless in my humble opinion and just increase costs,...

So as I said seeing that 15 heats were already in place the rule was brought into save money as it has done ..the point about saving money by having two more heats is another debate and has nothing to do with subject we are talking about .

Depends on what you term value. You can see the same riders in Heats 13 that appear in the nominated race, and so that must thrust god knows how many hundreds onto the track's/team's wage-bill. Surely any extra races could be introduced using lower-order riders who warrant less bucks per point.

Maybe that is too simple, especially at a time admission is going up, costs the same, and crowds are dipping, which means the ardent fans are forking out for their loyalty...

So you want to lower the quality even further. We've seen the success of that business model over the last 5 or 6 years in the Elite League.

I think most fans hate the Tactical ride, and even more so in a two legged match where aggregate scores decide winner, dump T/R for play offs.

• Like 3

I think most fans hate the Tactical ride, and even more so in a two legged match where aggregate scores decide winner, dump T/R for play offs.

Not if the alternative when you are 12 points behind after 5 heats at Trick Track Central and the only other thought in your head is "shall we make an early start on our journey home"

As for dumping the TR in play-off's, shall we also dump home track advantages and have all the meetings at neutral venues? Dumping the TR's will play right into the hands of the teams with the biggest home track advantages.

Not if the alternative when you are 12 points behind after 5 heats at Trick Track Central and the only other thought in your head is "shall we make an early start on our journey home"

As for dumping the TR in play-off's, shall we also dump home track advantages and have all the meetings at neutral venues? Dumping the TR's will play right into the hands of the teams with the biggest home track advantages.

So its fair one team gets to use them, and one doesn't is it?