British Speedway Forum
Nickster

Tactical Rides

Yes it is fair. The rules are the same for all teams (most of the time :) ).

Of course you might prefer to watch more meetings like Poole V Lakeside, which tactical riders and the league scoring system go a long way towards preventing happening on a more frequent basis.

Yes it is fair. The rules are the same for all teams (most of the time :) ).

Of course you might prefer to watch more meetings like Poole V Lakeside, which tactical riders and the league scoring system go a long way towards preventing happening on a more frequent basis.

Or Ipswich v Plymouth,... do away with double points, not T/S

So its fair one team gets to use them, and one doesn't is it?

Is it fair that teams like Eastbourne and Lakeside (both play-off contenders in recent years) have big home track advantages and others like Birmingham have tracks that are fair to all? The principle applies just as well to the PL where Edinburgh have a big home track advantage and Somerset have a fair track.

Life just ain't fair sometimes. Live with it.

Or Ipswich v Plymouth,... do away with double points, not T/S

So you prefer a more unfair system?

Is it fair that teams like Eastbourne and Lakeside (both play-off contenders in recent years) have big home track advantages and others like Birmingham have tracks that are fair to all? The principle applies just as well to the PL where Edinburgh have a big home track advantage and Somerset have a fair track.

Life just ain't fair sometimes. Live with it.

Its amusing, we get this every time. Complaints of the current system being unfair and how we should revert back to the old way of doing it which was a hell of a lot more unfair.

Wasn't Simon Wigg behind the original idea?

My he was precocious wasn't he - was he at infant school or still a tinkle in his dad's eye when tactical riders were first intorduced?

I think most fans hate the Tactical ride, and even more so in a two legged match where aggregate scores decide winner, dump T/R for play offs.

Can't say I hate them or dislike them even - they are just one of those quirks that every sport has.

I prefer the old tac sub, I realise it gave more an advnatge to the trailing team, but it used to mean getting to see the oppositions top rider more often (when at home) and your own stars more often away . Bring back that I say, but make it 8 point arrears not the six it was.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should just have the T/S replace a rider for 3 pts from gate or 6 from the 15m handicap.

In principle its a good idea as it makes riders work and earn the extra points. Sadly some riders used to refuse to take the ride, citing it as 'dangerous'.

It certainly never bothered Peter Karlsson :)

No more dangerous than totally missing gate, your still in 4th, until you can pass, but atleat you'll get rewarded.

I'm not a fan & really dont see the point in the home team being able to use them, they already have home track advantage.

No more dangerous than totally missing gate, your still in 4th, until you can pass, but atleat you'll get rewarded.

I don't disagree with you, indeed I would have thought it was safer as most speedway crashes are in the first turn when 4 riders hit the bend together.

Fact remains though, some riders wouldn't take them. Jason Crump to name one.

I don't disagree with you, indeed I would have thought it was safer as most speedway crashes are in the first turn when 4 riders hit the bend together.

Fact remains though, some riders wouldn't take them. Jason Crump to name one.

in Barry briggs bio he talks about the days when "the big five" had to go off handicapped starts. he said peter craven hated it, the dangers of having to risk your neck fighting through the field every race. briggs himself hated the additional wear and tear on machinery and i believe they demanded extra points money tks compensate.

in Barry briggs bio he talks about the days when "the big five" had to go off handicapped starts. he said peter craven hated it, the dangers of having to risk your neck fighting through the field every race. briggs himself hated the additional wear and tear on machinery and i believe they demanded extra points money tks compensate.

It can't be so though.. some tell us the riders ride for our entertainment!

You’ve just had another meeting tonight to show what a crap rule it is. 10 points up and 2 race later you are losing. :angry:

Ah you're referring to a meeting that finished 53-40.. fair enough, take of the 3pts from the tac ride. 50-40.

Same result, 3 pts to Kings Lynn.

The old system, although most us prefer it as we grew up with it was so much unfairer. Lets say you are riding a team with a big top 2. You gradually extend your lead until you get to Heat 13 and you are 8-10 pts up. Current system you fancy your chances, as even allowing for 2 5-1's again in 13 and 15, you're stronger in heat 14. Not so in the old system... a 4-2 or 5-1 (depending if they away team was 8 or 10 down as they would ensure they are 6 down going into heat 14) in 13.. a double tac sub in heat 14, a race the home team on paper were going to gain an advantage in.. suddenly its a 5-1 to the away team.. then the same pairing come out again to finish the job in heat 15.

Top heavy teams were far far more favoured under the old system.

<snip>

Top heavy teams were far far more favoured under the old system.

As it stood, they were - but some tweaks to the old system could make it more balanced, e.g. limiting when Heat Leaders can be used. On the other hand, those sort of tweaks could be too complicated ...

With the Joker, I dislike: Artificial points being added to a score, plus the fact that it is barely tactical, and of course that it has "It's A Knockout" connotations.

In the days you are talking about the old National League as the top league was called only had about 8 teams and there was such a wide bracket of abilities the "big five" were so much better than the rest they were still on 10 and 11 point averages so if they had gone off the gate with the rest the races would have mostly been over by the first bend. I think I am also correct in saying that back then the reserves would go off scratch and the normal team men started 5 or 10 yards behind. Anyway from the formation of the British League in 1965 it seems that everyone went off the gate until the golden Double was introduced.