British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Riders Plucked From The Crowd

The thread's title had me thinking, that practically all of the teams nowadays resemble ones that could have been hawked out of the crowd on the night, with no regard to a continuity with their present club, the club's history, or whether they (the riders) will even be in the side next week, never mind next season.

Speedway is like that weekly soccer match you used to have at school P.E. lesson, where two of the better footballers in the group were chosen to pick the players. The next week, the sides would be different.

I know I'm a stuck record, but speedway nowadays is like the war years, I can imagine, where tracks didn't even know who'd be riding that night... until the competitors turned up.

Speedway is very much like that.

Another thread on this superb website asks a question about riders (who was the last one) that actually served 10 consecutive years with the club he was awarded a testimonial. That's another problem speedway needs to address... why give someone an award for serving 10 years in a sport? This is how far we can measure speedway short-termism.

Surely, to help keep fans on the terraces, promotrers may want to think about awarding supporters with one after 10 years.

Now that's an idea to discuss while supping tea, munching biscuits and cakey at the winter's conference.

Edited by moxey63

what about a crowd plucked from the riders as riders are more common than fans these days.

only harry could pull off some thing like that.he may have moved on, but if you broke him in two. he would be claret and blue. :shock::sad::party: :party: .

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

Tim Stone once plucked someone out of the crowd to ride for Australia when one of the Aussies didn't arrive for a Lions vs Kangaroos meeting. I wonder if Phil Morris remembers? :D

Interesting article, thank you for the link.

Did you know that Steve Bacon who is mentioned as West Hams' official photographer is the same Steve Bacon who was breaking into Speedway photography on the late 60's/early 70s. He and Mike Patrick started around the same time particularly the London and Home Counties clubs and it is fair to say that the crop of photographers at that time had Speedway pretty much sewn up. Mike had a tough time but eventually got there and Steve went on to pursue other sports but you will find some of his early Speedway work in dribs and drabs in old SS's, Speedway Argus, Home Counties newspapers and some club programmes.

Another useless factoid!

Could this ever happen in Speedway, its a great story and should be read. Its every fans dream.

http://www.theguardi...ed-fan-west-ham

What a lovely Story. Thank you very much for Posting it. - I enjoyed the read. :t::approve::) :)

Another thread on this superb website asks a question about riders (who was the last one) that actually served 10 consecutive years with the club he was awarded a testimonial. That's another problem speedway needs to address... why give someone an award for serving 10 years in a sport? This is how far we can measure speedway short-termism.

Not the hardest of questions as Freddie Lindgren had his testimonial this year.

• Like 1

Not the hardest of questions as Freddie Lindgren had his testimonial this year.

Wow! Forgot about that... and for 10 years' service to one club, about as rare as getting even one number on the lottery.

Who was the last rider before Freddie?

Perhaps the crowd should choose one rider to join them, help sway SKY that crowds are now increasing. May help them decide to continue screening..

Matty Wethers did 10 seasons at Edinburgh.

Wow! Forgot about that... and for 10 years' service to one club, about as rare as getting even one number on the lottery.

Perhaps the crowd should choose one rider to join them, help sway SKY that crowds are now increasing. May help them decide to continue screening..

Wolverhampton as a club have excellent continuity to be fair. It's only due to points limits, which are a necessary evil that riders such as Sam Ermolenko, Ronnie Correy, Peter Karlsson, Adam Skornicki have ever rode for another club.

PK especially has been a victim so many times when, simply due to his age he would be left out in favour of riders like Tai and Freddie.

Wolverhampton as a club have excellent continuity to be fair. It's only due to points limits, which are a necessary evil that riders such as Sam Ermolenko, Ronnie Correy, Peter Karlsson, Adam Skornicki have ever rode for another club.

PK especially has been a victim so many times when, simply due to his age he would be left out in favour of riders like Tai and Freddie.

One of my favourite Riders is PK. I love watching him wherever he is riding. A true Legend in my book. :t::approve:

I like Adam Skornicki too. I used to enjoy his doughnuts (if you pardon the expression ;) ) too.

Age never used to be a barrier. Wal Morton, Keith Harvey and Geoff Pymar were still active when into their early 50s in the UK, while George Bason, Phil Bishop and Stan Tebby were also racing in Europe when past the half century mark. :party:

Edited by Guest

Age never used to be a barrier. Wal Morton, Keith Harvey and Geoff Pymar were still active when into their early 50s in the UK, while George Bason, Phil Bishop and Stan Tebby were also racing in Europe when past the half century mark. :party:

Not quite sure what you mean here.. Age isn't and hasn't been a problem for PK.

My point is that when a team like Wolves are faced with keeping two of Lindgren, Woffinden and PK, they are going to side with the younger rider.

Not quite sure what you mean here.. Age isn't and hasn't been a problem for PK.

My point is that when a team like Wolves are faced with keeping two of Lindgren, Woffinden and PK, they are going to side with the younger rider.

Very true BW - they obviously will try to look after their future. :)

They'd better be careful though - Headlines of Speedway Teams operate 'ageist' policy would NOT look good. :unsure: :unsure: :wink: