British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hules

Ipswich V Edinburgh 12/09

Interesting to hear that Joe said on Friday that there was no way Cookie could have slowed the race down for Joe to get past Tungate and Barker who were too good for that.

I have never said that Cook should have tried to slow down the race from his leading position after taking gate 2, and I don't think baldyman or dontforgetthefueltapsbruv have either.

All I have said is that I thought Cook should have taken gate 4, to give Tabaka the best chance to be in the mix at the start.

PS: Scotsman - take a look at Heat 10, and ask yourself why Pijper was overlooked for the Joker ride. Tabaka got between the Witches riders ...

Agree with most of that Scotsman, with the exception of the above... Mitchell - as nice a guy as he is, was in terrible form when he was sadly injured. Both Liam and Josh have been a breath of fresh air in the side - especially at home where I think we're more vulnerable than away.

We need both Joe and Max back to their best for Somerset on Wednesday - a track both like very much and maybe Derek back to his normal self now his Testimonial is out the way.

Theo is hit and miss away from home but practically irreplaceable around Armadale and Claus is... well, Claus!!

Cookie can't do it all on his own - you're right. However, if all the boys peak during the play-offs, I think we'll be right up there against the Somerset, Ipswich and Newcastle's of this league.

Nutz - I was referring to Mitchell's form before his wrist break at Glasgow. I seem to remember he was going well. He was way out of form when he then broke his leg but came back too soon to have got his confidence back.

The great gate 2 vs gate 4 myth:-

Actual results hts 1 -14 :

Winners gate 2: Barker ht6 Cook ht 13

Winners gate 4: Risager ht 4 Cook ht 5 (equal track record)

Points scored (removing doubling tr points) : gate 2 - 18 gate 4 - 18

Those who were there & accurately recorded the results, recheck for themselves.

Ipswich would have been creaming their pants when they seen tabaka off the worst gate and probably wouldn't even have thought about cook.

So on what basis do you reckon Tabaka was off the worst gate ?

All I have said is that I thought Cook should have taken gate 4, to give Tabaka the best chance to be in the mix at the start.

As you have previously stated you not buy a programme, do you record the gate stats by some other means and if so, on what basis did you conclude that gate 2 was the better option ?

Edited by cyclone

He took gate 2 in heat 15 leaving Tabaka with the iffy gate 4 when needing a heat advantage to get a point. Then shot off and allowed Ben and Rohan to team ride a 3-3.

I have just asked him why and he said he would not have been confident of getting past if didnt make it off 4. (which surprised me given his dominance all night)

He said they felt it was a better plan for him to go out and win it and just see how it went for Tabaka.

this any help cyclone??

I have never said that Cook should have tried to slow down the race from his leading position after taking gate 2, and I don't think baldyman or dontforgetthefueltapsbruv have either.

PS: Scotsman - take a look at Heat 10, and ask yourself why Pijper was overlooked for the Joker ride. Tabaka got between the Witches riders ...

You may not have said that but plenty others on the thread have said it.

Yes I was surprised that Joe got the TR instead of Theo but in their previous outing in heat 7, Joe passed Theo early on and made a better fist of it than Theo.

Obviously the Team Manager is the best one to answer why else Joe was chosen ahead of Theo.

As it turned out it was a good decision because Joe took 2nd instead of Theo's 4th but there again Theo after a decent first ride only mustered 2 thirds from his next 3 rides so was hardly on top of his game.

Since it seems some Ippo fans are crying out for praise, I am happy to accommodate - Ipswich were comfortably the better team on the night so well done - no quibble.

Just as Cookie was comfortably the best rider on the night so well done - and there should be no quibble about gates, team riding or any of that crap.

Monarchs were well beaten even with 5 joker points and Cookie was never going to change that.

I'm old enough to remember Ivan Mauger dominating the PL in the early sixties.

He got the same kind of stick that Cookie is getting now.

I bet Cookie is well chuffed about it all. :drink:

(And before anyone starts jumping up and down - you know who you are! - I am not saying Cookie is or ever will be in Mauger's class!! ;) )

So answer me this why did Cook look round on the last lap entering turn three and roll off the throttle too late to make any difference?

You'll have to ask him that.

Probably because he was half a lap ahead and wanted to save his engine! ;)

Edited by TheScotsman
  • Like 1

Those who would like to know what it was really like buy the DVD !

Rerun Productions should have it available at Foxhall on Thursday. Pre-match interviews with Derek Sneddon and Morten Risager, with a post match chat featuring Ritchie Hawkins.