British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
skthecat

Leicester Lions 2014

So, who do we keep and where to go in 2014?

Firstly assume were in the Premier League, same sort of competition as this year as a starting point........

whoever we have in our team for 2014 we must sort out the reserves,this is mainly where it all went wrong for us this year most of the season magnus had to ride his races on his own with no backup hence him not being involved in many heat advantages i am not in favor of an out and out no 1 but would much prefer an even balance through the team. as much as i like to watch craig cook it can also get a bit boring with him being so far in front and his average of 10.49 is also a killer when team building. i think we need to look at riders who can ride a point at least above their currant average and one rider i would have a leicester lad himself david howe on an average of 6.34 he would be first on my wish list. a fully fit howe is an 8 point man i would think no problem and while we are at it i would pinch another scunny rider thomas jorgensen he has talent waiting to pop out and on a nice average of 6.28.every team needs a good captain and who better is there than kevin doolan he is a must for me next year kevin has given 100% in every race i have watched him in i just wish he would cut down on his guest bookings a bit because i am sure he burned himself out towards the end.if the track is to stay the same and my guess it will then we need to look at who can and who cant gate because at leicester we need some good gaters and who better is there out there than magnus karlsson he must be looked at again for next season if he wasn't back i am sure there would be many disappointed leicester fans.i like alex and he has proved a decent reserve but he does seem injury prone but worth another go next year.the rest of the currant team for me its time for them to move on.most important we need to find a team manager and leave glyn to do what he does best,the track glyn does a Stirling job with the track and to try and team manage as well is asking to much as we have found out this year with the mistakes he has made.

• Like 1

whoever we have in our team for 2014 we must sort out the reserves,this is mainly where it all went wrong for us this year most of the season magnus had to ride his races on his own with no backup hence him not being involved in many heat advantages i am not in favor of an out and out no 1 but would much prefer an even balance through the team. as much as i like to watch craig cook it can also get a bit boring with him being so far in front and his average of 10.49 is also a killer when team building. i think we need to look at riders who can ride a point at least above their currant average and one rider i would have a leicester lad himself david howe on an average of 6.34 he would be first on my wish list. a fully fit howe is an 8 point man i would think no problem and while we are at it i would pinch another scunny rider thomas jorgensen he has talent waiting to pop out and on a nice average of 6.28.every team needs a good captain and who better is there than kevin doolan he is a must for me next year kevin has given 100% in every race i have watched him in i just wish he would cut down on his guest bookings a bit because i am sure he burned himself out towards the end.if the track is to stay the same and my guess it will then we need to look at who can and who cant gate because at leicester we need some good gaters and who better is there out there than magnus karlsson he must be looked at again for next season if he wasn't back i am sure there would be many disappointed leicester fans.i like alex and he has proved a decent reserve but he does seem injury prone but worth another go next year.the rest of the currant team for me its time for them to move on.most important we need to find a team manager and leave glyn to do what he does best,the track glyn does a Stirling job with the track and to try and team manage as well is asking to much as we have found out this year with the mistakes he has made.

I would also have a fully fit Kauko but I think David Howe is injury prone. Thomas Jorgensen is similar to Jan, he is very inconsistent is best on his own track. I think Cookie will be full time Elite if there is an Elite League next year.

Nemo's average has dropped to such a low point that, assuming he is back to full fitness, we would be mad not to have him in the team (also assuming that he wants to come back but that is another story). David Howe said that he would struggle to ride for any Saturday track due to his other commitments so I doubt we will see him. I would also keep KD and MK and sooner or later Lasse will come good consistently. We then need to find the next super reserve which could mean giving James S another go. He was improving, just came in a bit late in the season. I'm not sure what that would leave us with but if we could end up with Jan at reserve with James then we would be pretty strong. Having said all that I doubt the leagues will look the same next year anyway!

This has been the problem this year - not enough riders raisin their averages.

• Like 1

I understand that this would fit.

1. Magnus Karlsson

2. Jan Graversen

3. Lasse Bjerre

4. Henning Bager

5. Kevin Doolan

6. Sergey Darkin

7. Alex Edberg

i think we need to look at riders who can ride a point at least above their currant average and one .

good plan that...........but id keep it a secret,you don't want the rest of the teams twigging on this this
  • Like 3

I suppose its impossible to team build until league structures are sorted out? Having said that, if the Elite League continues to to dilute its quality, there will be no difference between the 2 leagues!!

All riders will ride for 2 teams, one in league A and one in league b with no difference in the leagues standard of racing!!

Just split the country North and South and riders can only ride for one team in each area!!!!

I understand that this would fit.

1. Magnus Karlsson

2. Jan Graversen

3. Lasse Bjerre

4. Henning Bager

5. Kevin Doolan

6. Sergey Darkin

7. Alex Edberg

Sergey is too old!!

I suppose its impossible to team build until league structures are sorted out? Having said that, if the Elite League continues to to dilute its quality, there will be no difference between the 2 leagues!!

All riders will ride for 2 teams, one in league A and one in league b with no difference in the leagues standard of racing!!

Just split the country North and South and riders can only ride for one team in each area!!!!

the Promoters and the BSPA don't seem to grasp the ethos regarding Speedway as aTeam sport,the majority of the fans want see THEIR Team every week and not see THEIR RIDERS riding for every other Team in the League it just makes a mockery of the sport.

Don't really know much but here you go

1. Magnus Karlsson 7.79

2. Jan Graversen 4.97

3. Lasse Bjerre 7.46

4. Kauko Nieminen7.25

5. Kevin Doolan 7.75

6. Chris Schramm 3.43

7. Joe Jacobs 3.46

Don't really know much but here you go

1. Magnus Karlsson 7.79

2. Jan Graversen 4.97

3. Lasse Bjerre 7.46

4. Kauko Nieminen7.25

5. Kevin Doolan 7.75

6. Chris Schramm 3.43

7. Joe Jacobs 3.46

So here we go, for what it's worth.

1. Magnus Karlsson 7.79

2. Jan Graversen. 4.97

3. Kauko Neiminen. 7.25

4. Jacob Thorssell. 7.06

5. Kevin Doolan. 7.75

6. Charles wright. 4.05

7. Paul Starke. 3.22

Total. 42.09

I know people will say that's almost the same team as last year, but Maggie, Doolan and Gravo are all worthy of another season. A fully fit Nemo is a steel at 7.25 so is Thorssell and 2 very good British reserve who have proved themselves in the latter part of this season.

All speculation as non of us know what next year will bring in terms of league structure.

.most important we need to find a team manager and leave glyn to do what he does best,the track glyn does a Stirling job with the track and to try and team manage as well is asking to much as we have found out this year with the mistakes he has made.

I think Glyn generally did a good job. He's someone who is clearly passionate about his speedway and he's also refreshingly honest for someone involved in the sport. I still think that if Glyn had been allowed to change the track in the way we all expected to one that suited the riders he had bought in to the team then within a couple of meetings we'd have settled on a team of Roynon, Nemo, Bjerre, Doolan, Graversen, Blackbird & Kerr and with a clear injury free run we'd have been league champions and had a season of exciting speedway to boot. Even during the season with a bit more financial backing i think we might still have been able to compete at the top of the league if potential signings that were muted he was looking to make had borne fruition. Also, without Glyn it would be interesting to know if we would even have got as far as we did as i'm sure at times he he kept team morale together (as well as the team) despite the best efforts of the promotion to kill it. I agree, I do think he probably needs a right hand man with a bit of knowledge on the rules to make sure opportunities aren't missed during the meeting though, but i'd definately have him back.

Mick.

Edited by volty

I think Glyn generally did a good job. He's someone who is clearly passionate about his speedway and he's also refreshingly honest for someone involved in the sport. I still think that if Glyn had been allowed to change the track in the way we all expected to one that suited the riders he had bought in to the team then within a couple of meetings we'd have settled on a team of Roynon, Nemo, Bjerre, Doolan, Graversen, Blackbird & Kerr and with a clear injury free run we'd have been league champions and had a season of exciting speedway to boot. Even during the season with a bit more financial backing i think we might still have been able to compete at the top of the league if potential signings that were muted he was looking to make had borne fruition. Also, without Glyn it would be interesting to know if we would even have got as far as we did as i'm sure at times he he kept team morale together (as well as the team) despite the best efforts of the promotion to kill it. I agree, I do think he probably needs a right hand man with a bit of knowledge on the rules to make sure opportunities aren't missed during the meeting though, but i'd definately have him back.

Mick.

i agree i would love and hope glyn is back and i am sure at times he has held the club together and without a doubt the riders have a lot of respect for him.the only thing i disagree with what you say is with roynon in the team we were never go to have an injury free run as sheffield also found out i just didn't expect it to happen as quick as it did,such a shame for the lad i would love to see him go a full season without as much as a scratch but is that a possibility? thank heavens mk answered the sos call.