British Speedway Forum
Agrotron

Pirates 2014

So, can anyone explain to me how dropping team building points helps?? What is the philosophy behind it. ?

So, can anyone explain to me how dropping team building points helps?? What is the philosophy behind it. ?

By dropping the points limit it allows teams to 'shed' their higher scorers, thus replacing them with lower average riders and further watering down the 'Elite' league....

But still charging the same admission prices.

Horton said that if the league is of less quality the admission price at Coventry would reflect that but we shall see.

Who's designing the new Southern Super PL trophy, as it will no doubt take pride of place in Matt's Trophy room, or will he play safe and go for the Super NL Trophy instead?

if a couple of teams move up, it will still allow the same riders that rode here this year to ride next year. it also makes it more evenly spread out among the teams, so you wont have one team being stronger than the rest, in theory.

Who's designing the new Southern Super PL trophy, as it will no doubt take pride of place in Matt's Trophy room, or will he play safe and go for the Super NL Trophy instead?

Of course, in the best interest of Speedway.. :t:

if a couple of teams move up, it will still allow the same riders that rode here this year to ride next year. it also makes it more evenly spread out among the teams, so you wont have one team being stronger than the rest, in theory.

Really? You haven't accounted for the Poole factor!

This means that teams will have to shed some of their better riders. Does that mean we have less of the top riders riding in the elite league. I guess it does. A puzzling way to go when so many say speedway is struggling. I would have thought we should go all out to go for quality, whilst allowing new and younger riders in also.

I know nothing about the politics and structure but eliminating several riders from the scene (for what?) reduces its attraction for me. I travel a rather long way to see my favourite team, I guess I will still do that, but how many others will continue watching.

Less quality riders means that home grown talent will have less 'good' riders to ride against and learn/improve.

Then they could be less competitive - I really am going into a negative spiral here and will stop.

One of the challenges 'Speedwayfun' is that there will always be fans who want to see the big stars, in the hope that there will always be great racing! Whilst equally there are also fans who prefer teams of a more equal skill/experience level as the racing is often more competitive and entertaining ( eg EL v PL?!).

One of the biggest issues currently is that many promoters - at all levels of the sport in UK - are losing money. In some cases, as has been reported, huge amounts, that place their very existence in some doubt. And that is despite the benefit of the Sky monies during the past 15 years. If Sky do not continue (or even if they do) there will not be the same sort of money available to clubs to help 'bail them out'!!

Unfortunately, it would seem that most (EL)clubs have used the SKy monies to settle earlier debts or to pay out to riders, who in turn pay out to engine providers and tuners to get the best machinery available. Hardly any of the money appears to have been used, at club level, to offer incentives to the paying public!! So prices have continued upwards, racing has not improved as teams are generally made up of one or two top riders and 4-5 others of lesser ability and track preparation has become slicker and slicker to suit the new 'slicker' and highly tuned machines.

So that gives the Promoters a massive dilemma, as to which way to go?! Many clubs will be seeking to cut costs/save money and how do they do that? One way is cutting out the expensive riders, working to a lower points limit and/or imposing some sort of wages cap (which can always be got round by additional sponsorship?!).

Some clubs - and Poole have been often placed in this category - would prefer to retain the top riders, but without Sky money they and others may not be able to achieve this at least for the time being.

For me -and I stress only in the short term - the sport needs to retain as many teams as possible to maintain a credible league structure and regular fixture list, whilst at the same time make it more affordable for the fans!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 8

One of the challenges 'Speedwayfun' is that there will always be fans who want to see the big stars, in the hope that there will always be great racing! Whilst equally there are also fans who prefer teams of a more equal skill/experience level as the racing is often more competitive and entertaining ( eg EL v PL?!).

One of the biggest issues currently is that many promoters - at all levels of the sport in UK - are losing money. In some cases, as has been reported, huge amounts, that place their very existence in some doubt. And that is despite the benefit of the Sky monies during the past 15 years. If Sky do not continue (or even if they do) there will not be the same sort of money available to clubs to help 'bail them out'!!

Unfortunately, it would seem that most (EL)clubs have used the SKy monies to settle earlier debts or to pay out to riders, who in turn pay out to engine providers and tuners to get the best machinery available. Hardly any of the money appears to have been used, at club level, to offer incentives to the paying public!! So prices have continued upwards, racing has not improved as teams are generally made up of one or two top riders and 4-5 others of lesser ability and track preparation has become slicker and slicker to suit the new 'slicker' and highly tuned machines.

So that gives the Promoters a massive dilemma, as to which way to go?! Many clubs will be seeking to cut costs/save money and how do they do that? One way is cutting out the expensive riders, working to a lower points limit and/or imposing some sort of wages cap (which can always be got round by additional sponsorship?!).

Some clubs - and Poole have been often placed in this category - would prefer to retain the top riders, but without Sky money they and others may not be able to achieve this at least for the time being.

For me -and I stress only in the short term - the sport needs to retain as many teams as possible to maintain a credible league structure and regular fixture list, whilst at the same time make it more affordable for the fans!!

IF, sky don't come back on board, and i sincerly hope they do, and with the posibllity, of the top boys not riding in this country. Then you could put a cap on wages, straight away, as you are theoretically starting afresh..

Talking a lot of sense there Skiddely :t:

• Like 1

IF, sky don't come back on board, and i sincerly hope they do, and with the posibllity, of the top boys not riding in this country. Then you could put a cap on wages, straight away, as you are theoretically starting afresh..

Speak up mate, we can't hear you down here in Dorsetshire!! :rofl:

....And so to Wednesday's Poole Awards night in Champs Bar at the Stadium!! I believe MF is due to 'address the fans', so will be interested to hear any thoughts/hints prior to the AGM!!! :t:

• Like 2

Horton said that if the league is of less quality the admission price at Coventry would reflect that but we shall see.

What he says and what he does isn't always the same