British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

I expect that Steady will be back with us next season however i think Facu Albin will be the first name announced, he didnt always plough in with the points but his work rate and never say die attitude was fantastic.

Facundo was a breath of fresh air. I'd not be surprised if he was now followed by other young Argentinians, remembering the Dick Barrie articles in Speedway Star about all the youngsters over there.

• Like 1

Aye, there's the rub, as the Great Dane (not Nicki P) said in his soliloquy).

Dogs on a Thursday means a concerted effort to set up the fence before 7.45.

But it has to happen, and it will. Anyone betting against it?

I hope so. But it is not a quick job. Don't forget the Owlerton tracks bend's are very big.

Facundo was a breath of fresh air. I'd not be surprised if he was now followed by other young Argentinians, remembering the Dick Barrie articles in Speedway Star about all the youngsters over there.

The problem is the european passport, I hope change the rules of national league for Argentine riders go into the league.- For start in the third level........

The problem is the european passport, I hope change the rules of national league for Argentine riders go into the league.- For start in the third level........

No offence but I hope they dont. In fact quite the opposite - the restrictions should remain as tight as possible.

Also any non Brit joining the PL should not br able to drop below their initial assessed average. That way if they are good enough to add something to the league they will find a place and if not they wont block a space to give a young Brit a chance.

• Like 2

Facu was very popular with the Sheffield crowd, with his never say die attitude and I don't think that you would have many complaints regarding bringing him back.

But I think the big problem is that the average that the Argentinian boys come in on, and because they are use to big fast tracks back home they seem to fit in at Sheffield, its when they get ot the tight smaller technical tracks that they have probably never seen before and seem to struggle with.

But we saw Jonathan Itture last season at Sheffield and I have been impressed with the footage of Lisandro Husman, they are two riders who maybe could come over and do a job.

Facu was very popular with the Sheffield crowd, with his never say die attitude and I don't think that you would have many complaints regarding bringing him back.

But I think the big problem is that the average that the Argentinian boys come in on, and because they are use to big fast tracks back home they seem to fit in at Sheffield, its when they get ot the tight smaller technical tracks that they have probably never seen before and seem to struggle with.

But we saw Jonathan Itture last season at Sheffield and I have been impressed with the footage of Lisandro Husman, they are two riders who maybe could come over and do a job.

And hopefully somewhere we'll again see more of Emiliano Sanchez?

Re air fence. Weather it's a foam or air fence it will have to be taken down after every meeting. Otherwise it will restrict the view for the greyhound racing. The dog racing is very important to the stadium owners, it's broadcast in all the betting shop's nationwide every week. On a Tuesday and Thursday's.

And the stock car people probably won't like it anyway? Or won't their fans viewing be affected in anyway? I wonder how if the air fence stayed up how it would react to a couple of F1 stock cars cannoning into it at speed?

I am unsure when Startrax issued the Press Release regarding Sheffield's Owlerton Stadium - it may be several weeks old (sorry!) but it does carry some interesting data in regard to Owlerton Stadium:::

::::

SPECULATION
There has been speculation in recent weeks regarding Owlerton Stadium, Sheffield which has hit various media over the last 24 hours.
It is common knowledge in South Yorkshire that the famous Don Valley Athletics Stadium is to close at the end of the year which has received considerable regional publicity. The stadium is the current home of Sheffield Eagles Rugby League who now have to source a new venue and one venue being evaluated is Owlerton where they actually first played back in the 1980′s.
At the moment plans are only at a feasibility stage as considerable works to enable the stadium to meet RK suitability would have to be completed.
If successful, the project will require outside funding however it is believed that works required and likely to be undertaken IF there was a viability to the project would be nothing but positive for facilities for motorsport.
We have however confirmed with the Stadium Management today whether these plans would have any effect on Speedway or Stock Car Racing at Sheffield and we have been assured that if anything developed then either sport would continue to operate as normal.
Separately, Startrax and the BSCDA are continuing to work together to engineer a longer term solution to make the actual race track more ‘driver friendly’ – Ideas such as part plating the fence have been seriously looked at but the scale of the works and considerable concerns over how this may actually be achieved operationally within the massive workload and timescale to erect the fence have caused serious concerns to ourselves as being, perhaps too bigger a challenge and unproven.
Startrax and the BSCDA are planning next month a meeting with the Sheffield management with two different schemes to present which would greatly enhance the actual race strip. If one, or both prove acceptable, these would radically improve the circuits driver friendliness.
At this juncture it would be premature to disclose the plans as third party discussions are necessary however please be assured that Startrax, BSCDA and indeed Owlerton owners are planning for the longer term.

Edited by Guest

Dave Hoggart I know you post on here , could you please end the speculation over wether Sheffield will be running next season regardless of finding a buyer or not ?

I know you post on here , could you please end the speculation over wether Sheffield will be running next season regardless of finding a buyer or not ?

There's one post that'll fall on stoney ground.

Sheffield's promotion/ownership will tell the BSPA their intentions, not a forum 'fan'.......

• Like 1

Its an interesting question though, and the only scenario that Neil Machin has not stated what would happen if a buyer cannot be found I suppose we will have to wait for the AGM to find out the answer to that one.

I know you post on here , could you please end the speculation over wether Sheffield will be running next season regardless of finding a buyer or not ?

Could you not have asked that question via PM.

I think there are now three threads discussing the same point? :unsure:

I think there are now three threads discussing the same point? :unsure:

Of course back in the 50's there would have been 6 threads each with 20,000 posts a week eh Gustix!?
  • Like 1