British Speedway Forum

Not saying who should get the job but you can't say Phil Morris hasn't earnt his dues with all the good work he's put in with the U21's

Not forgetting all the work Neil Vatcher has also put in with the youngsters!!! :t:

But my vote would go to Rosco! (although his stint as Aussie U21 team manager may go against him??!)

Edited by Skidder1

LOL so is Rosco!

Didn't know Swindon was in Wales. He might be of Welsh descent, but I'm pretty sure he was born in Swindon. Mind you, the Aussie Crump is a Bristolian by birth and the Englishman Loram was born in Malta.

Didn't know Swindon was in Wales. He might be of Welsh descent, but I'm pretty sure he was born in Swindon. Mind you, the Aussie Crump is a Bristolian by birth and the Englishman Loram was born in Malta.

Certainly his birth was registered in Swindon!

Somerset/Kurtz/BSPA

But that's where the whole asset system gets interesting (sic). He may be owned by Swindon, but unless he's under contract (a contract that actually pays as opposed to just stating we own you) then we are into restraint of trade. Whilst the BSPA can obviously create a system by which they can effectively require riders to sign up to the rules, the problem speedway faces is if anybody challenges those rules legally.

In the case of Morris, if he has no current financial contract, then if forced to stay at Swindon he could challenge it legally. I have little doubt he'd win and the entire asset system would be deemed illegal. Even if he's signed a contract by which he probably won't receive a single penny until April, I'd be surprised if he couldn't give notice on that contract anyway. The fact that the BSPA contracts allow the employer to cut a rider whenever the like, even if he is over performing would suggest a clause preventing the employee from terminating his contract at any stage would be deemed unlawful.

The concept of "ownership" of a person can only have any form of validity if the person "owned" is benefitting, which basically means receiving a wage, or at the very least has a guaranteed wage at a later point in the contract (i.e. next season).

Totally agree with you. There has to be "consideration" in order for any contract to be valid. Unless Swindon have paid Morris monies up-front in return for him allowing himself to be "owned", there can't be a valid contract, and Swindon(and any other team for that matter) if legally challenged, would have difficulty in enforcing a "contract" which isn't valid.

Totally agree with you. There has to be "consideration" in order for any contract to be valid. Unless Swindon have paid Morris monies up-front in return for him allowing himself to be "owned", there can't be a valid contract, and Swindon(and any other team for that matter) if legally challenged, would have difficulty in enforcing a "contract" which isn't valid.

How many times does this come up & for how many years is it going to keep getting brought up?.

Unless a rider decides to challenge the "contract" debate like Bosman did in football it's totally irrelevent.

Can't see a rider doing that somehow.

Jesus irony is clearly lost on some!.....look out for when England play Wales at rugby you will see where Alun's alegiency lies then....in any case irrelevant as the job is for GB manager and last time i looked i swear Wales was still part of Great Britain...no matter how much some complain!...btw Rosco does have welsh on one side of HIS family

• Like 1

How many times does this come up & for how many years is it going to keep getting brought up?.

Unless a rider decides to challenge the "contract" debate like Bosman did in football it's totally irrelevent.

Can't see a rider doing that somehow.

If the rumours are true, Morris effectively has.

If he leaves, it proves that Swindon knew his contract wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

If he leaves, it proves that Swindon knew his contract wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

Except that it wasn't on paper. I don't think he signed a contract.

Nick has never signed a contract for 2014 with the Robins & was only agreed by word from what I've been told & I guess this is where Swindon could find themselves with problems.

Nick has never signed a contract for 2014 with the Robins & was only agreed by word from what I've been told & I guess this is where Swindon could find themselves with problems.

Well, in that case I can't see what all the fuss is about and a lot of Swindon "supporters" owe Nick an apology.

As I said, a cheery wave from Nick to Rosco as he went through the departure gate for Oz and a 'See you in the Spring, mate'!! :D

Jesus irony is clearly lost on some!.....look out for when England play Wales at rugby you will see where Alun's alegiency lies then....in any case irrelevant as the job is for GB manager and last time i looked i swear Wales was still part of Great Britain...no matter how much some complain!...btw Rosco does have welsh on one side of HIS family

His backside??!! :D

Well maybe he's a Scouser, as he seems to follow Liverpool? On the Irony!!

Rossiter is not GB Manager material in my opinion. Blowing his top live on television, making stupid statements, never mind the regular elementary mistakes as Robins team manager . He is a Wiltshire version of Middleditch.

Yes his track record in recent years has been impressive, but If he is considered as the inspiration of a 'new dawn' for GB speedway, it won't happen. Mind you, that won't happen for many years until there is a radical re think regarding the basic priorities in relation to the nurturing and progress of British youngsters.

• Like 1

Well, in that case I can't see what all the fuss is about and a lot of Swindon "supporters" owe Nick an apology.

I wasn't made aware of that fact until yesterday & if true which is usually from a good source then Swindon don't really have a leg to stand on.

Rossiter is not GB Manager material in my opinion. Blowing his top live on television, making stupid statements, never mind the regular elementary mistakes as Robins team manager . He is a Wiltshire version of Middleditch.

Yes his track record in recent years has been impressive, but If he is considered as the inspiration of a 'new dawn' for GB speedway, it won't happen. Mind you, that won't happen for many years until there is a radical re think regarding the basic priorities in relation to the nurturing and progress of British youngsters.

You're a bit harsh there ER..

Admittedly, there are no outstanding candidates for the job, but Rosco would at least be a step in the right direction..

The clueless oaf Muddle couldn't be bothered to get the necessary accreditation and has no personality whatsoever.

At least Rosco would instill some passion in his riders and that did the USA no harm when their team of no-hopers (GH excluded) relegated GB to last behind Latvia..

TBH...my gran would be an improvement on last year's GB manager..