British Speedway Forum

It is good to have Darryl as number 7 and I hope the fans get behind him.

and push? :wink:

Only joking - but the reserve positions this year bar a few pre-selected "ringers" are a joke anyway!

• Like 3

It is good to have Darryl as number 7 and I hope the fans get behind him.

Hear Hear, always good to support the local lads...

• Like 1

Well, Rosco didn't sound 100% convinced at the Pit Crew AGM/Quiz but I think it's great that he has given the lad a chance-let's hope he takes it with both hands! Funny there's no announcement on the website, only in the Adver!

It does make me laugh because Rosco was no world beater himself he was given a chance he should understand.This reserve ruling is a joke and Darryl deserves a chance just like everybody else i hope he does ok.

Seem to recall the great Leigh Adams 'liking the look' of Ritchings. Think he may well surprise a few people. Needs to hold his own at Blunsdon, which I reckon he will do.

Can't remember many local lads emerging from Purton in the past. All the very best Darryl. :t:

Mac and Jim Woolford(late 60s). Mac still lives in Purrton.

Mac and Jim Woolford(late 60s). Mac still lives in Purrton.

Mac, was involved in one of the most spectacular crashes I have ever seen at the Abbey. Can anyone else remember it?

The first meeting of the season is now at Lakeside on Fri March 28th, hope the rain has stopped by then. This is listed as an EL meeting, and at the moment there is no warm up challenge meeting scheduled.

The 2 away fixtures at Birmingham are not on the website but are June 18 and August 20 according to Brummies website.

Mac, was involved in one of the most spectacular crashes I have ever seen at the Abbey. Can anyone else remember it?

The one where he crashed flat-out into a lamp-standard in the second-half? Did he ride in the first seven or as number 8? Remember Keener smashing into the pit-gate. The days before elf n' safety. Elluva nice bloke...went to his home in the sticks at Upper Minety to renew his CICA accident insurance(along with STFC footballers Kamara(lived in Liden and Kingshill), Henry, Bamber(Woodhall Park), and local racing stables at Barbury Castle, Manton, Ogbourne, Broad Hinton, on the Marlboro' Downs). Remember visiting Olsson and Ivarsson at home in West Swindon...never convinced them to buy some cover. Broady(lived in Highworth), Ashby(Marlboro), the Woolfords(Purton), Dukey(Penhill), the Smarts(Inglesham), and Chessells were customers, with quite a few claims!

Edited by Mad Moose

The one where he crashed flat-out into a lamp-standard in the second-half? Did he ride in the first seven or as number 8? Remember Keener smashing into the pit-gate. The days before elf n' safety. Elluva nice bloke...went to his home in the sticks at Upper Minety to renew his CICA accident insurance(along with STFC footballers Kamara(lived in Liden and Kingshill), Henry, Bamber(Woodhall Park), and local racing stables at Barbury Castle, Manton, Ogbourne, Broad Hinton, on the Marlboro' Downs). Remember visiting Olsson and Ivarsson at home in West Swindon...never convinced them to buy some cover. Broady(lived in Highworth), Ashby(Marlboro), the Woolfords(Purton), Dukey(Penhill), the Smarts(Inglesham), and Chessells were customers, with quite a few claims!

From memory he was pencilled into the main team,on that night, or was at number 8. He lost control on the pits bend, and went head-first into a very tall lamp post, and the lamp post came crashing down right across the track, with a shower of sparks accompanying it! The home riders ran from the pits to assist, including Briggo. "Mac" walked away from it, but, the lamp post never recovered.

It was a shame that Gary Chessell gave up, because he had a lovely smooth style.

From memory he was pencilled into the main team,on that night, or was at number 8. He lost control on the pits bend, and went head-first into a very tall lamp post, and the lamp post came crashing down right across the track, with a shower of sparks accompanying it! The home riders ran from the pits to assist, including Briggo. "Mac" walked away from it, but, the lamp post never recovered.

It was a shame that Gary Chessell gave up, because he had a lovely smooth style.

Did not see that but I remember when Malc Mad Wellie Holloway went off the track and flattened the flower bed next to the start line, also during a sidecar meeting when two collided and one of them went across the centre green at full bore towards the St Johns crew.

Pesky Robins

Is that a new sponsor for three teams ?

Edited by A ORLOV

Roughly what year was that BritPete?

Roughly what year was that BritPete?

Good question! It was definitely in the 1960s, because"Briggo" was riding for us. The mid-sixties, would be the best I can do. Maybe someone living in Purton, could ask him.

I started going around mid 70's but wasn't sure if I had seen the incident/crash you mentioned. Certainly sounded spectacular though!