British Speedway Forum

GUESS Chris himself can confirm, or others connected to the situation. However, as an 'insider' I am 100% sure it's true.

Thanks SGP.

I can't say I'm surprised , but I was hoping it was not going to be the case.

If we had any hopes that the thinking at the "top shop" might have been changing, then they have just been shot down in flames.

I really just don't understand how they can come to these decisions.

My sympathy to Chris, thanks for your efforts at Brandon, I hope you can find a way round this situation.

• Like 3

Thanks SGP.

I can't say I'm surprised , but I was hoping it was not going to be the case.

If we had any hopes that the thinking at the "top shop" might have been changing, then they have just been shot down in flames.

I really just don't understand how they can come to these decisions.

My sympathy to Chris, thanks for your efforts at Brandon, I hope you can find a way round this situation.

SHOULD Chris be unable to come on here and confirm/deny, then I guess we'll know for sure if he isn't presenting at the Brummies for the final.

Think everyone should be careful of making slanderous comments because it will close down BSF like it did last time.

On what grounds would the BSPA seek to close the forum down and/or the owners bow to such a request? Surely if there is a libellous (slander refers to speech as far as i'm aware?) comment then they would ask for it to be removed and the mods would warn the poster or ban them if they have previous form for making such type of comments? Obviously there is also the legal route for a promoter to go down. The odd untoward comment wouldn't be enough to request for a whole site to be taken down?

Of course sometimes people take something for granted and won't realize what a truly great service they have with the BSF until it's gone. I'm not talking about outside forces getting it removed but fans need to realise that Phil and all the moderators have their own lives and jobs to lead. If they are in danger of having to heavily vet posts because of the risk of increasing amounts of libellous posts they may decide they haven't got the time or will to do so.

As a matter of relevance to the thread, I notice there is a post which makes veiled attacks at both Birmingham and Poole Speedway's and is still there. Light having been shed on reasons why certain other posts were pulled, why is that one still here?

It's likely may have been removed by now - not sure i haven't got time to plough back - but i was shocked to see that post and it certainly needed to be removed instantly. It was suggesting a criminal act and i think the police let alone a promoter could have jumped on that and persued it.

I'm getting lost with the contradicting statements being made. Can someone clarify if either or both Chris Povey or Birmingham Speedway have made a public announcement that the website was offline due to overload on the server? Has that now been rescinded or disproved? As of right now the Birmingham Speedway website is still carrying the apology and stating it was down to the servers not being able to cope! Whilst Google Analyctics is known to often greatly under report visitor levels, i certainly think it has in this case, i still can not believe that a UK speedway website would crash it's server, well unless they have purchased the lowest bandwidth package in history lol.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Firstly, I'm certainly no website building/hosting expert, so I might be asking daft questions here, but what is the purpose in having every club website hosted on the same servers?

Cost.

You can put multiple websites on a shared server, but all those sites will be using the servers resources, so if one website starts getting hit by thousands or millions of hits, then the other sites will suffer.

We used to host our site on a shared server and it cost about £100 a year (can get cheaper) but we now host on our own virtual server and pay about £100 a month.

But how can you ever hope to get more people interested in the sport if the server (and websites by default) is incapable of being viewed by more than one man and his dog at the time ?.

Whatever the reasons, it isn't good enoughbasically.

On the subject of the uniform domains, it still mystifies me why all clubs have a Colombian domain, and why they use nicknames rather than the word speedway.

If I was a non-fan (in say Eastbourne) who had just seen speedway on TV and wondered if there was a local track, I would surely look for "Eastbourne Speedway". I wouldn't know to look for "Eastbourne Eagles" and I certainly wouldn't expect to find them with a South American domain.

Surely Birminghamspeedway.co.uk , Eastbournespeedway.co.uk etc, is better than Birminghambrummies.co and Eastbourneeagles.co ?

That is the most logical naming route to go down and because it would have the UK part then it wouldn't clash with any American motor speedway tracks. Without a doubt most people would use the word speedway in their search and for a speedway site not to have that word in it's name is a shocking oversight/blunder. Maybe it's because the .co.uk domains cost more than the Colombian! ones at the time OMG toooo funny can you really believe that UK speedway seeks out such a domain,and possibly for penny-pinching reasons? A UK sport should have some level of respect and at least pay for a UK domain.

EDIT I've cut my other comment that was below as i think i was getting co.cc mixed up with .co lol

Edited by manchesterpaul

But how can you ever hope to get more people interested in the sport if the server (and websites by default) is incapable of being viewed by more than one man and his dog at the time ?.

Whatever the reasons, it isn't good enoughbasically.

I agree, although it may well have been a one-off, we have not seen this before, but it now shows they need to review the websites. What I do not know is if each Speedway Club own their own websites, or if they are like the football league sites, all part of a big deal to share the same infrastructure.

I suspect by the fact they all use the moronic .co rather than .co.uk domain names suggests its some big league deal. But, if not, then my advice to the Brummies would be to find a new host, and if they can afford to, look to put their site on their own dedicated server/VPS rather than a shared server. (Just to add to that, if not using a UK domain, vital you ensure the hosting server is UK based, not overseas).

Servers/Websites will always go down, but you do a lot to limit those times.

Edited by TheReturn

I suspect by the fact they all use the moronic .co rather than .co.uk domain names suggests its some big league deal. But, if not, then my advice to the Brummies would be to find a new host, and if they can afford to, look to put their site on their own dedicated server/VPS rather than a shared server.

The Birmingham website statement states that clubs are contractually obliged to have their sites hosted on BSPA servers which are controlled by AP Media.

http://www.birminghambrummies.co/birmingham-speedway-apology/

The Birmingham website statement states that clubs are contractually obliged to have their sites hosted on BSPA servers which are controlled by AP Media.

http://www.birminghambrummies.co/birmingham-speedway-apology/

There we go then. Can't blame Birmingham, the BSPA need to resolve this. IMO

- Review if they have the best provider of services.

- Review if they need to allow clubs to manage their own websites.

You make me laugh..

I have the misfortune of being up Peterborough way in the next few few days - let me know where you're stacking shelves and i'll be there.

For the forum's sake, i shall say that i would like to shake your hand and and talk speedway.

For the sake of humanity and the protection of the Jepsen Jensen family, i would like drop you one, put you in one of your own trolleys, and dump you in a river...

Kind Regards

Tom

LOL.

I received a similar threat off this geezer before HRF, didnt amount to anything when i seen him though at reading :lol:

Just a minor point Steve. It is libelous not slanderous, slanderous is spoken .

For the record, I made the same point on another topic a while ago and was (rightly) taken to task for not being up to date with recent case law:

The High Court has ruled that defamation on internet bulletin boards is akin to slander rather than libel.

Mr Justice Eady hearing a case regarding posts on an investors bulletin board (or forum) has said that such comments are not to be taken in the same context as a formal newspaper (etc) article and are more like slander due to the casual or conversational nature of them.

Mr Justice Eady stated that posts on bulletin boards "are rather like contributions to a casual conversation (the analogy sometimes being drawn with people chatting in a bar) which people simply note before moving on; they are often uninhibited, casual and ill thought out...Those who participate know this and expect a certain amount of repartee or 'give and take'."

As such "When considered in the context of defamation law, therefore, communications of this kind are much more akin to slanders (this cause of action being nowadays relatively rare) than to the usual, more permanent kind of communications found in libel actions...People do not often take a 'thread' and go through it as a whole like a newspaper article. They tend to read the remarks, make their own contributions if they feel inclined, and think no more about it."

web01.gifFull article [Reading Room].

• Like 1

I have known Andy Povey for a few years now and have no reason to believe he would shut down the site for no reason.

The last season Newport Speedway operated Andy came in and run the site with me, he updated it when i was away working free of charge and never asked for a bean. He programmed a lot of the final design whilst i done the graphics and again didnt charge a penny. He knew Newport were in the crap financially and wanted to help.

I remember when the BSPA/go speed brought in the rule that all club sites were to be hosted on the bspa server and .co domains to be used and they were extremely arrogant in their way of instructing you to do so, i received the email myself. Clubs got their domain and webspace for free so werent too bothered but i thought it stank from the start.

Im onl

Only making a suggestion BUT i know enough about andy to know the site wouldnt of gone offline without a very good reason.

Lewis Parsons

For the record, I made the same point on another topic a while ago and was (rightly) taken to task for not being up to date with recent case law:

The High Court has ruled that defamation on internet bulletin boards is akin to slander rather than libel.

I studied law years ago and have been retired 17 years, and not up to date with recent rulings, thoughts. I can understand the logic behind the ruling in that case, but that may change again.

Sorry Stevebrum it seems you could be correct in the use of slanderous.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

Why are people putting Andys address on this forum?

Disgraceful.

• Like 1