British Speedway Forum

Well what septet can the Hammers put on track to bounce back next season.

I would personally keep Swiderski, Bridger and Lawson from this season. Maybe PK if he decides to race on and recovers from his injuries.

Would be great if AJ came back to Purfleet. What do other Hammers fans think?

AJ back would be fantastic, he won't be in the GP's so why not? Then I would be happy with bridger, lawson from this year and not really bothered about anyone else.

I think we have to face the fact that losing Rico has left a hole in the side and Jon Cook is probably right when he said it will take a few years to recover from that. Rico was the glue that basically held the team together and surely the main priority must be to find an asset with the sort of off-track persona that Lee had, and with the ability to grow into the sort of role that Lee had for the team to be built round. Davey Watt has done a good job as captain IMO but he does have these howlers every so often and at 35 years old and a Poole asset I can't see him being more than a stop gap. I do think he has done a good job as captain though, especially the way he has helped bring Rich Lawson on.

Can't see AJ being back in UK speedway in the foreseeable future but I also have to ask is he still the rider he was in 2008 ? PK must be another doubtful in the UK next year if, indeed he carries on racing.

Rich Lawson is one of the seasons success stories and nailed on for Rider of the Year. Promotion and fans want him back but again one has to ask how much improvement does he have in him ?

The promotion have as good as said they want Tyson Nelson next year and IMO he is well worth a punt at reserve on a low starting average.

Bridger has had his high spots and some good wins but he finished the season on pretty much the same average that he started on and to be brutally honest I really wonder if he has the mental application to match his undoubted natural talent. He has said on Twitter that Lakeside would be his first choice of club for 2014, and although he is worth maybe another go it has to be the year he makes a big leap forward, especially on away tracks if he is going to do it at all.

Swidders I can't fault in terms of commitment and attitude, and a really nice bloke but like Bridger his average has not changed much in recent years so we also have to ask is he going to improve to any significant extent.

Then there is the enigma that is Kim Nilsson. Good progress in 2012 then levelled off in 2013, as often happens after a good year. He is a bit of an enigma because at his best he is capable of some brilliant rides, then some hopeless ones as well. If he could find consistency and adapt more quickly to difficult track conditions he has the talent to do well, but the jury is still out.

No doubt the promotion are keen to give Adam Ellis a go, but that will depend on what sort of league we see next year.

So, in a nutshell I would say places for Nelson and Lawson but all the rest are up for grabs. A class heat-leader to build the team round for the future is a major priority IMO but I can't really think who.

• Like 1

I think we have to face the fact that losing Rico has left a hole in the side and Jon Cook is probably right when he said it will take a few years to recover from that. Rico was the glue that basically held the team together and surely the main priority must be to find an asset with the sort of off-track persona that Lee had, and with the ability to grow into the sort of role that Lee had for the team to be built round. Davey Watt has done a good job as captain IMO but he does have these howlers every so often and at 35 years old and a Poole asset I can't see him being more than a stop gap. I do think he has done a good job as captain though, especially the way he has helped bring Rich Lawson on.

Can't see AJ being back in UK speedway in the foreseeable future but I also have to ask is he still the rider he was in 2008 ? PK must be another doubtful in the UK next year if, indeed he carries on racing.

Rich Lawson is one of the seasons success stories and nailed on for Rider of the Year. Promotion and fans want him back but again one has to ask how much improvement does he have in him ?

The promotion have as good as said they want Tyson Nelson next year and IMO he is well worth a punt at reserve on a low starting average.

Bridger has had his high spots and some good wins but he finished the season on pretty much the same average that he started on and to be brutally honest I really wonder if he has the mental application to match his undoubted natural talent. He has said on Twitter that Lakeside would be his first choice of club for 2014, and although he is worth maybe another go it has to be the year he makes a big leap forward, especially on away tracks if he is going to do it at all.

Swidders I can't fault in terms of commitment and attitude, and a really nice bloke but like Bridger his average has not changed much in recent years so we also have to ask is he going to improve to any significant extent.

Then there is the enigma that is Kim Nilsson. Good progress in 2012 then levelled off in 2013, as often happens after a good year. He is a bit of an enigma because at his best he is capable of some brilliant rides, then some hopeless ones as well. If he could find consistency and adapt more quickly to difficult track conditions he has the talent to do well, but the jury is still out.

No doubt the promotion are keen to give Adam Ellis a go, but that will depend on what sort of league we see next year.

So, in a nutshell I would say places for Nelson and Lawson but all the rest are up for grabs. A class heat-leader to build the team round for the future is a major priority IMO but I can't really think who.

Lawson used to be dire at Blunsdon. This year he has improved no end with some fine performances. From being discarded by Peterborough, he will be much sought after next year.

My Lakeside 2013 Side - Full of excitement rather than the old same old boring riders.

1. Hans Andersen

2. Lewis Bridger

3. Daniel King

4. Peter Ljung

5. Kenni Larsen

6. Jurica Pavlic

7. Richard Lawson

Edited by Hougaard Racing Fans

My Lakeside 2013 Side - Full of excitement rather than the old same old boring riders.

1. Hans Andersen

2. Lewis Bridger

3. Daniel King

4. Peter Ljung

5. Kenni Larsen

6. Jurica Pavlic

7. Richard Lawson

Just to let you know that WASN'T the 2013 Lakeside Team.

Do keep up.

• Like 3

Without knowing the format of the EL in 2014, it is impossible to choose a line-up. However, a few riders who can make starts on a consistent basis wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 1

PK unlikely but Fast Freddie Lindgren may well be the best option for both parties

PK unlikely but Fast Freddie Lindgren may well be the best option for both parties

I am not so sure about PK not being back. I didn't think he would ride again but according to SS he still wants to carry on and according to one source very close to him he says he wants to return to Lakeside if a financial deal can be sorted out. Having said that, a lot a fans would be more than happy to see Fast Freddie at Lakeside. For all the tongue in cheek banter about the track and him being known as "Mr Boring" in Duggo's programme notes, Freddie has developed quite a rapport with the Lakeside fans in the last couple of years and he would be a popular choice. Can't see it happening though. Freds at a bit of a crossroads in his career and maybe the time has come to cut down his commitments and focus on upping his game in the GP's. Personally I feel he under performs in the GP's and if he doesn't kick on next year he could miss the boat completely

Edited by E I Addio

Fast Freddie racing at the track he describes as `boring`. Cant quite see it but you never know i suppose.

I dont know that much so i dont know how realistic this is but how about:

1. Fredrik Lindgren 8.94

2. Richard Lawson 4.80

3. Seb Ulamek 6.60

4. Piotr Swiderski 6.22

5. Dave Watt /Danny King 7.46

6. Tyson Nelson 3.59

7. Kauko Nieminen 4.62

Probably really unrealistic but there you go.

I think we've seen Davey Watt demonstrate (in the past few weeks) where his loyalties really lie. Far too often, away from home, he just goes missing.

As for Ulamek. Thanks, but no thanks - a 'spent force' unfortunately. I'd much rather have Kim Nilsson back. Ulamek took Kim's place and basically failed to deliver.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

1. Hans Andersen

2. Lewis Bridger

3. Daniel King

4. Peter Ljung

5. Kenni Larsen

6. Jurica Pavlic

7. Richard Lawson

your good at this! only 5 riders who wont be there!

• Like 1

See that Lakeside has dropped off the radar, good news or BAD! Hearing alarming rumours but then its the silly season.

Edited by IAN2

with AJ being in the SGP 2014 I cannot see him being in the Lakeside team - shame because his absence is a massive loss to British Speedway