British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

King's Lynn Stars 2014

? if the money was the important thing why have Birmingham disappeared and why ask Eastie on the brink Sorry but what does that statement have to do with the play offs ? it quite clear that quite a lot of teams in all leagues find it hard to make ends meat ...Are you saying that without the play offs these would not have money problems ?

When did I say I was only exited by the big events and everything is perfect ? I checked back on my posts and no time have I ever said that ...I don't mind having debate but please don't try to make things up ..many thanks

Well you didn't check back very far - it was your previous post.

We're discussing play-offs right? You commented on 'saps not knowing about the money' so presumably you mentioning the money aspect was somehow defending the existence of the play-offs? Or did you just throw that in on a whim? Plus you commented 'when the format now works so well ' which indicates that you think things are tikketyboo doesn't it? Similarly you commented 'people flock to see many top events that only happen once a year' which again surely means you're referring to the play-offs? Oh and I didn't specifically say YOU either - so please read again. Thank You :wink: :t:

Edited by Star Fever

Why would you want to do that ? ...when the format now works so well. People flock to see many top events that only happen once a year but I doubt they would if they were every four weeks it's just common sense .

The fans and clubs love the play offs and i doubt that is going to chance because of a few saps who are a bit wet around the ears and have little idea on the money side of speedway .

What a sad world you live in. So aloft of the real world. You talk out of your arse and rubbish all those who disagrees with you. You paint this picture that 'Play-off' are the B all of everything just because a few extra people go and watch. In your world people are only interested in winners, and will only go to support if there is something at stake. That's sad!

Your team has only won the league title twice in 50 yrs., and we have yet to win it , so please explain to me why supporters of these clubs are still about. when they win so little.

Just because you travelled with 100 odd other supporters to Leicester you put that down to interest generated by the play-offs, Let me tell you, I've travelled to 15 away matches this year and haven't thought about the play-offs once. I go purely for my own enjoyment and hope the Stars do well. If that makes me a sap, then good, If I'm a little wet behind the ears that also good.

• Like 1

What a sad world you live in. So aloft of the real world. You talk out of your arse and rubbish all those who disagrees with you. You paint this picture that 'Play-off' are the B all of everything just because a few extra people go and watch. In your world people are only interested in winners, and will only go to support if there is something at stake. That's sad!

Your team has only won the league title twice in 50 yrs., and we have yet to win it , so please explain to me why supporters of these clubs are still about. when they win so little.

Just because you travelled with 100 odd other supporters to Leicester you put that down to interest generated by the play-offs, Let me tell you, I've travelled to 15 away matches this year and haven't thought about the play-offs once. I go purely for my own enjoyment and hope the Stars do well. If that makes me a sap, then good, If I'm a little wet behind the ears that also good.

You may be right that it is sad that fans go to see there team win but in 2014 in nearly all sports that is how it is .

Fair play to you if you go rain or shine to away matches etc but sadly you are in the Minority not the Majority

Edited by orion

We disagree on many things sir, but I agree with every word of the above.

I've never liked the bloody silly play offs. Have not and never will go to them. I don't really care who wins what if I'm honest. What I care about is honest racing, riders who care about their clubs and fans and rules applied fairly to all. Sadly play offs don't really offer any of those in my eyes, there again league racing doesn't much either.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 1

Same old minority play off sycophants claiming the pokc is great, lol!

Every season the same hackneyed comments about a couple of extra worthwhile meetings towards the end of the season due to teams being in with a chance of qualifying for the pokc while ignoring the fact that every early season meeting is reduced to a meaningless filler.

Not to mention that the meetings involving the top teams who have already qualified for the pokc are devalued also. Kings Lynn visit Belle Vue next week, the league leaders and nobody is bothered.

Swindon away at Leicester with 100 extra fans (yeh right!) make it all worthwhile, ha ha!

The only reason we have the pokc is to make sure sky see the 'champions' crowned. It was basically a take it or leave it option the season after they missed the winners clinching the title.

Oh, I forgot, every team races every other team home and away twice. The effect of injuries and poor decisions have a much greater chance of averaging out over the whole season and the top team, the one that wins the most points isn't the best? It's possible I suppose Lol!

Yet again as has been you about 100 times the play offs make more matches important why would the Belle Vue v kl been important next week if was a first past post system ? As buy then Kings Lynn will be champions anyhow.. No one has ever said it's the fair way to do things but due to the state speedway finds itself in it has had little choice .

So do the play offs

Ensure there are fair rules NO

Ensure the rules are applied equally to all NO

Ensure journeymen foreigners have loyalty to British clubs NO

Ensure we see the top riders in the world in GB NO

Help all clubs throughout the whole season NO

Ensure clubs don't finish their season in mid September NO

Ensure opportunities for young British riders NO

I could go on but to be balanced the play offs

Mean big crowds for 4 clubs on 1 night YES

Mean a big crowd for 2 of those clubs on a further night MAYBE

Keep Sky happy YES

Well I know which way I think the scales are rocking.

• Like 1

well i just cant wait to see how good some of the poles and other riders get on in the play offs now the silencer doubts have raised their ugly heads again hope the bspa are doing all the checks they did in poland yesterday to weedle out the cheats coz big tracks need big horse power time will tell by if there is a drop in form from these riders

The truth is that none of us knows whether the play offs have increased the total number of fans attending matches over a season. Those claiming they are a success because they draw larger crowds for a few matches at the end of the season are missing the point. If the effect of the play offs has been to reduce crowds overall, then they are a failure.

Realistically, we know crowds are dropping season on season but without detailed market research nobody knows whether the introduction of the play offs has played any part in that or, whether the numbers would have dropped even more if the play offs had not been introduced.

• Like 1

The playoff are here to stay, they happen in most sports where there is not promotion/relegation. Let's face it, without the threat of relegation, and with no play-offs, half of the teams in the league would have NOTHING to ride for after May/June time!!!

Personally, I hope Lynn get through to the grand final, no sane speedway fan can deny them that. As for who wins, it looks unlikely that without our top 2 (in a team built around having a strong top 2) that Stars will get over the line but I still have hope.

If Swindon end up winning it, then fair play, they have had their own problems at reserve this year and have 2 exciting riders as heat leaders who are bang in form. They are also backed up by the strongest 2nd string in the league on current form and are the best team to ride at Lynn this season IMO. Bringing in North and firing up Gustafsson show Roscoe has earnt his money again this season.

I've submitted that to google translation and it came back as a load of bollox, lol!

If poole win at Coventry and Leicester why will Kings Lynn already be champions? (Hint, they won't lol!)

Just imagine the crowd at Coventry if poole needed to win, and if they did win the crowd at Leicester would be even bigger!

And then the crowd at Belle Vue on Monday would blow those two out of the water. Even if poole had failed to win the points the Kings Lynn fans would turn up in droves to see them crowned champions for the first time in their history. To think otherwise is just plain stupid.

Instead we have three meaningless fixtures.

pokc it's brillliiiaaannnttttt!

If this if that ..why don't you wait to see what happens before you big up What the Belle Vue v Kings Lynn match would have meant .. the likelihood is that Kings Lynn will be champions by tomorrow night meaning the match will be a dead rubber

I've submitted that to google translation and it came back as a load of bollox, lol!

If poole win at Coventry and Leicester why will Kings Lynn already be champions? (Hint, they won't lol!)

Just imagine the crowd at Coventry if poole needed to win, and if they did win the crowd at Leicester would be even bigger!

And then the crowd at Belle Vue on Monday would blow those two out of the water. Even if poole had failed to win the points the Kings Lynn fans would turn up in droves to see them crowned champions for the first time in their history. To think otherwise is just plain stupid.

if Cov beat Poole Belle vue and Wolves they could be champions

But the crowds at any other track apart from Poole and KL would be even worse than they are. Why would the Coventry public bother to turn up when the team was obviously going to finish no higher than 3rd and no play off system? The fact that we had a chance of finishing in the top 4 has meant crowds have been decent. One way to finish speedway in this country is to drop the Playoffs.

I went to Swindon for the original Swindon v Poole 2012 playoff meeting which was called off, no way would I have went to Swindon otherwise. I would probably also go to a playoff final even if the Bees don't make it.

Edited by woz01

The most important ingredient in BEL speedway is to have teams of equal strength who can give each other a hard meeting, home and away, that's what brings the crowds in every week, best for business.

To be fair the BSPA do attempt to do this, some more so than others although some of them struggle to attract strong riders now.

Of course the play offs are for the TV, they provide excitement, drama and are good watch and good to compete in I bet. But are they fair, only if the league topping team wins ......

• Like 3

The most important ingredient in BEL speedway is to have teams of equal strength who can give each other a hard meeting, home and away, that's what brings the crowds in every week, best for business.

To be fair the BSPA do attempt to do this, some more so than others although some of them struggle to attract strong riders now.

Of course the play offs are for the TV, they provide excitement, drama and are good watch and good to compete in I bet. But are they fair, only if the league topping team wins ......

I love the play offs, I think they add great value entertainment to the sport. If my team came first in the league and then got subjugated in the final by the fourth place team, I would congratulate the fourth place team on their rightful title.

However, this only works when every team is at full strength. It is beyond a joke that King's Lynn and Poole must replace their number 1's with substandard riders and have a whole season of hard work potentially chucked down the drain.

The play offs should be about 4 teams battling at full strength to determine a winner in an epic showdown of Britain's most elite riders. 2 weak and crestfallen teams will not provide quality entertainment, they will not drive fans through the gates, and will only be of further detriment to this already ailing sport.

• Like 1

But if they came fourth, the title isn't rightfully theirs, they haven't proved themselves as best in the league they have just won the play offs.

It's no good discussing it, it's how it is, if say the fans think their team are worthy of a trophy for topping the league then we know what we need to do :-)

• Like 1