British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

King's Lynn Stars 2014

Now Mads has been sacked by Leicester he can't guest for us either. Good eh?

Leicester can't sack him. It's past the deadline for team changes.

Silly comment about leaving in droves ...people don't leave in droves because of the play offs in fact it brings fans in .

Not anyone can win a four team Tournament I know that anyside outside of the play off would not be good enough to win it . The league table does lie because teams mind set is to finish in the top 4 not to win it I expect in a first past the post system the league might have not looked the same .

Do you actually believe some of the things you write, Are you really saying, teams in the league don't go out to win each match. Surely even you don't believe that. Ask Rosco if he has ever told his team not to win. That is crap, PURE GOLD CRAP. I can't believe any team has ever gone out with the intention of not winning. So your argument about teams not wanting to finish top is only in your head......

About fans leaving in their droves, I was referring to Birmingham fans recently but other teams also that fell by the wayside are plentiful. Last year Birmingham were the top team. They led from start of the league to its conclusion. There reward was NOTHING. Whereas Poole, scrapping into the Playoffs after finishing some way adrift won a 4 team tournament and was pronounced Champions....... Pure Magic!!!!!!! imagine how the Brum Fans felt for all their effort last year. No doubt this year they voted with their feet, and subsequently folded. can you blame them.....

You say the Play-off brings in the fans, they probably do for a couple of meetings. That's false economy, We want to encourage the fans to come every week. We want rules with integrity that are fair to everyone. Only then will new fans be tempted to come....

If you are so set on the Play-offs, fair enough, have them and crown the winners with any title you want to bestow on them. No problem with that at all... But don't take the honour of League winners away from the rightful reciprocant. That's unfair........

• Like 2

Why on earth Would KL pick Poole they fly around Kl ...it's a no brainer they are going to pick Cov who they have crushed at Home .

A Poole without Darcy (a sub standard guest) and injury to Pawlicki. A fit and full strength team id agree they wouldn't pick

There is no doubt in my mind that the team who finish top of the league have been the best team over the whole season, how can that fact not be true?

It used to be that way yes, but not anymore.

Feel sorry for Kings Lynn this year, best team but lost their Number 1 and I can see it making all the difference. Poole who were clearly second strongest justifiably lose Ward but then Pawlicki and Milik get injured and suddenly the final could involve neither of the two strongest most consistent teams in the league.

• Like 2

Feel sorry for Kings Lynn this year, best team but lost their Number 1 and I can see it making all the difference. Poole who were clearly second strongest justifiably lose Ward but then Pawlicki and Milik get injured and suddenly the final could involve neither of the two strongest most consistent teams in the league.

I agree. The Stars have been outstanding all season till the very last few weeks.

Losing your top 2 means they will likely bow out at the Semi`s.

Still, its all what you are doing come September so they are already running out of time.

Edited by stevebrum

Do you actually believe some of the things you write, Are you really saying, teams in the league don't go out to win each match. Surely even you don't believe that. Ask Rosco if he has ever told his team not to win. That is crap, PURE GOLD CRAP. I can't believe any team has ever gone out with the intention of not winning. So your argument about teams not wanting to finish top is only in your head......

About fans leaving in their droves, I was referring to Birmingham fans recently but other teams also that fell by the wayside are plentiful. Last year Birmingham were the top team. They led from start of the league to its conclusion. There reward was NOTHING. Whereas Poole, scrapping into the Playoffs after finishing some way adrift won a 4 team tournament and was pronounced Champions....... Pure Magic!!!!!!! imagine how the Brum Fans felt for all their effort last year. No doubt this year they voted with their feet, and subsequently folded. can you blame them.....

You say the Play-off brings in the fans, they probably do for a couple of meetings. That's false economy, We want to encourage the fans to come every week. We want rules with integrity that are fair to everyone. Only then will new fans be tempted to come....

If you are so set on the Play-offs, fair enough, have them and crown the winners with any title you want to bestow on them. No problem with that at all... But don't take the honour of League winners away from the rightful reciprocant. That's unfair........

Poole as we all know have lost many matches on purpose in the past to say otherwise I guess you must be new to speedway ?

This year Poole would have try a lot more stunts etc if was a first past system rather than knowing that they only have to finish in the top 4 so as I said coming top means next to nowt .

Your point about Brum is yet another silly comment as Brum were still getting low crowds even when they top and them getting beat play final has zero to do with them folding . I must have miss it but did Poole fold in 2010 after being top of the league and getting beat by the 4th place club ? I had a check and still found them alive and kicking and getting big crowds ? surely that can't be right after all fans vote with there feet if you get beat in the place off final after coming top .

The play offs also have more effect on crowds that just 4 matches as they make more matches worthwhile hence why I went to watch along with about 100 away fans to watch the Swindon match as leice last week . Your point about having a play off with no league title on the line has been explain a million times no fans would go it's as simple as that . Nothing is unfair if each team knows the rules before the start of season on how the winningof the league will be decided and this year there is nothing be given out for coming top .

Edited by orion

Hardly Mickey Mouse ..no one cares who comes top of the league the play offs is all that matters .

I am from the old school supporter.... finishing top is the best result there can be. play offs are just to spin out the season. mean very little to me if anything.

• Like 2

I am from the old school supporter.... finishing top is the best result there can be. play offs are just to spin out the season. mean very little to me if anything.

Fair play ...don't drink to much champers on Tuesday night or your miss the KL open top bus ride the next day .

If the play-offs are so damn important and the whole season of league racing means nothing more than getting in the top 4 at the end, I have an idea!

Why not have a play-off at the end of every month? Each time the top 4 can have a knock-out competition to 'win' the month, and the 4 teams who've won the most months after 6 or 7 months can have a 'play-off finale' to determine who are the champs!! That way it would make the league even more meaningless and everyone would be happy 'cos everybody flocks to see play-offs apparently!?!

Yes it's ridiculous isn't it, but no more so than what we have now :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Star Fever

If the play-offs are so damn important and the whole season of league racing means nothing more than getting in the top 4 at the end, I have an idea!

Why not have a play-off at the end of every month? Each time the top 4 can have a knock-out competition to 'win' the month, and the 4 teams who've won the most months after 6 or 7 months can have a 'play-off finale' to determine who are the champs!! That way it would make the league even more meaningless and everyone would be happy 'cos everybody flocks to see play-offs apparently!?!

Yes it's ridiculous isn't it, but no more so than what we have now :icon_smile_clown:

What we have now is no different to a lot sports , so its proven, it works. :t:

I love the Play-Offs but it's extremely unfortunate we've been dealt a cruel blow yet again.

If the top 4 had there strongest sides available it would be next to impossible to pick a winner.

I don't expect but I still have hope something good will swing in our favour. Why not, in this game things change from day to day.

I'm not giving up, we're in it to win it. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2

What we have now is no different to a lot sports , so its proven, it works. :t:

Works how? :blink:

If you mean that halfway through the season half the league may as well give up because they have no way of getting to the top 4, then yes it works (and yes I know this happened before play-offs, but at least 3 of the top 4 didn't get another chance to 'become champions' in the past.....).

Or maybe you mean that because the play-offs are so hyped up that the all speedway fans across the country are brainwashed into thinking that all that matters is the play-offs, then yes it works (although not quite obviously as theres plenty only on this forum who disagree);

Or maybe you're deluded into thinking that because only 4 teams get big crowds in only 6 play-off matches that it solves the monetary problems in speedway for all clubs, then yes it works (no doubt you'll refer to the TV money received as a by-product but has the TV exposure increased crowds????)

Or maybe you just think that whichever of the teams that wins the play-offs is worthy of being undisputed 'champions', no matter if they were 4th best over the year and the other teams had misfortune during the play-off weeks, and they just happened to 'click' at the right time - even though the team that finished top in the league obviously 'clicked' in the preceding 6 and a half months? Then yes it works :t:

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 2

Why would you want to do that ? ...when the format now works so well. People flock to see many top events that only happen once a year but I doubt they would if they were every four weeks it's just common sense .

The fans and clubs love the play offs and i doubt that is going to chance because of a few saps who are a bit wet around the ears and have little idea on the money side of speedway .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Why would you want to do that ? ...when the format now works so well. People flock to see many top events that only happen once a year but I doubt they would if they were every four weeks it's just common sense .

The fans and clubs love the play offs and i doubt that is going to chance because of a few saps who are a bit wet round the ears and have little idea that on the money side of speedway .

LOL - If the money was the important thing why have Birmingham disappeared and Eastbourne on the brink?

And I'm a sap am I? Better than being a sheep that is only excited by 'big events'....at least I'm not led by the horns to believe that everything set before me is perfect :t:

I 'put up' with the play-offs as most people do - they're only 'loved' by fans who think 'big events' are all that matters.

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 1

LOL - If the money was the important thing why have Birmingham disappeared and Eastbourne on the brink?

And I'm a sap am I? Better than being a sheep that is only excited by 'big events'....at least I'm not led by the horns to believe that everything set before me is perfect :t:

? if the money was the important thing why have Birmingham disappeared and why ask Eastie on the brink Sorry but what does that statement have to do with the play offs ? it quite clear that quite a lot of teams in all leagues find it hard to make ends meat ...Are you saying that without the play offs these would not have money problems ?

When did I say I was only exited by the big events and everything is perfect ? I checked back on my posts and no time have I ever said that ...I don't mind having debate but please don't try to make things up ..many thanks