British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

The concept of speedway is a good thing, 4 riders racing on a track for 60seconds, however I feel that some teams across all the league's are either fielding riders who are far better than their average portrays (possible average manipulation) or are weak from 1-7. If I were to recap the team's it would be as a start all riders should be graded into categories top flight riders in group A, such as Hancock, Ward, Holder and the likes, group B, such as Kennett, King, Barker, group C, such as Auty, Roynon, L Bjerre, group D, should then be out and reserves only, group E should be the young guns trying to make it in to top flight speedway. Every team should be made up from these groups, 2 from group A 2 from group B, 1 from group C, 1 from group D & 1 from group E. That way in all races there would be equal opposition to race against. Unless you are the team which fields 7 really strong riders, who run a muck at every track and get 5-1's and 4-2's follow the leader speedway is boring. Just my thoughts on how to improve racing from the team set ups.

The concept of speedway is a good thing, 4 riders racing on a track for 60seconds, however I feel that some teams across all the league's are either fielding riders who are far better than their average portrays (possible average manipulation) or are weak from 1-7. If I were to recap the team's it would be as a start all riders should be graded into categories top flight riders in group A, such as Hancock, Ward, Holder and the likes, group B, such as Kennett, King, Barker, group C, such as Auty, Roynon, L Bjerre, group D, should then be out and reserves only, group E should be the young guns trying to make it in to top flight speedway. Every team should be made up from these groups, 2 from group A 2 from group B, 1 from group C, 1 from group D & 1 from group E. That way in all races there would be equal opposition to race against. Unless you are the team which fields 7 really strong riders, who run a muck at every track and get 5-1's and 4-2's follow the leader speedway is boring. Just my thoughts on how to improve racing from the team set ups.

Makes no difference whether you grade riders by a letter or by an average , the A grade riders will still be racing the E graders , and their will,be riders who are far better than their grade i, averages are based on actual fact and not on someones assessment , so they are open to less manipulation by the unscrupulous

Is their track good enough? Our start marshall reckons it's the worst in the PL

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! You've opened a can of worms - stand by for blasting. :D

The other weekend at Leicester was a great day out for the fans with the first leg against Bellview Aces not their top team but all said and done not a bad turn out. Even if the Lions got beaten in both legs it made a good nights speedway.

And if the weathere holds again this weekend it shoukld be a good night again with Coventry coming for the first of 2 legs shame about the rain last week.

At least the Lions promoters have done what most teams in all the leagues have done and that is to keep the racing going until the end of the season not cut it short in the end of September or the start of October. Good luck to them what ever they do. It was a very hard dicision to bring speedway back to Leicester. A lot of hard work has gone into starting to make a stadium that will only get better.

Lets get the bums on the seats what ever league they end up in. There have been to many local clubs lost through the years.

And on the point of reserve riders I personally think they should be up and coming young UK riders, if they don't get the chance to ride in the higher leagues then they will never learn their trade. What they put into the sport, week in week out they should be given the chance.

Has your start marshal ever seen Newcastles track?

Has your start marshal ever seen Newcastles track?

Seen it and admired it many times LE. Difficulty was Morris on Sunday just used his right hand and not his brain(something I believe he has been told before) and tried a silly big blast around the 3/4th bend and went into the fence. Speed was the fault not the track. Unfortunately the track at Brough has had the 'rough' reputation deservedly for many years, but that is certainly not true in the last 3 or 4 years as people from other tracks testify. Through Twitter Chris Holder(when did he last ride it), Rosco(when did he ride any track) chipped in with their criticism probably because Morris is an Ozzie, and he rides for the other one mentioned. It's called peer support BTW. No matter what others say, the track gets top marks on a regular basis from the refs(unless when a recent team of non triers team manager complained after their heavy defeat and the ref then marked the track down to a 6). You might happen to know them, they are pretty close to you.

Racing at Brough has never been so fast and furious, as experienced in the splendid meeting on Sunday against a super team of triers.

Edited by Tsunami

And of course he would know. Why else would he still be a mere start marshall :t:

• Like 1

Indeed. So why should we take any notice of the Leicester start marshall's opinion of Brough Park?

Indeed. So why should we take any notice of the Leicester start marshall's opinion of Brough Park?

I don't think the Leicester start marshal has commented on this thread.

I don't think the Leicester start marshal has commented on this thread.

He likes a go on Twitter though

• Like 2

Leicester's track a load of rubbish? This is the first I've heard of it.

• Like 1

Two of the best straights in World Speedway, and two of the best bends, only trouble is, when you put them together, they just don't work, if all it costs is £8k to put it right, then whoever said no, is very misguided.

The track can't be to bad. Just seen the news item on Lions webpage and on Sunday 9th of March they are to stage a race for the Ben Fund for injured riders. Between Team GB and the rest of the world. Peter Ackroyd stated that I think it is a great choice of venue. I have been there a few times. It is a lovely set up, in a good part of the counrty.. It is a purpose built stadium. It is clean and smart. What you could call a modern Stadium.

His words not mine. So someone must think that Leicester have got it right.

The promotion team have scored again. With bringing Belle Vue and Coventry to the stadium at the end of the season, (Coventry weather permitting that is) And then this to start the season next year.

I think they are doing a great job and the racing at this event next year should pack out the stadium. Keep it up, They deserve a round of applase. Hope to be there on Sunday just hope the rain will hold off until this weekend is over, but not holding much hopes with the way the weather is dishing out thyings at the moment.

If not just hope it can be re-arranged for the week after. Love taking the grandkids. And they love the sport as much as I do. Lets hope the things carry on as they are because they are fans of the future

• Like 3

I will not bother me what league they end up in next year I will still support them. A nice up to date stadium. The staff are very friendly, they supporters are speedway lovers and they are a great crowd. I will be there to support them as many times as I can next year. Being in a wheel chair restricts things a bit. Find it very hard to get to away matches as I find it hard travelling far. But I try to get to home matches.

They have a nice area for wheelchir users, they only fault I can can find with the placing at the start line is all the dirt and pebbles that hit you, the grandson thinks that part is great. Must say it wasn't to bad and it doesn't stop you enjoying the speedway. Sent him with his dad to the granstand but he wanted to come back for more.

Is there anyone out there that thinks that track changes will be made and if so what do you think they will be and to what extent it will change the racing at Leicester.

It will be nice to see what happens in the close seaon, will be on the look out on the website to see what is going on there.

Hope 2014 is a great year for the Lions.

• Like 1