British Speedway Forum
jim the whipper

Leicester 2014 . Elite

And of course he would know. Why else would he still be a mere start marshall :t:

Start marshal is one step above a mere supporter

If you go EL say goodbye to weekend speedway, poland on sunday and every two weeks a GP on a saturday, not to mention the week you have to go to eastbourne.

• Like 1

Do not mind what day they race really. Shame to see the Sunday races go but we all have a price to pay. Also an increase in entrance fees no doubt. It is just nice to see Leicster Lions back again. And all the hard work that has been put in on the stadium. Only time will tell what happens

If you go EL say goodbye to weekend speedway, poland on sunday and every two weeks a GP on a saturday, not to mention the week you have to go to eastbourne.

Friday could be a good night :-) It would still appeal to the families.Lakeside seem to manage

Friday could be a good night :-) It would still appeal to the families.Lakeside seem to manage

Surely Coventry would make a justfiable objection to another track less than 25 miles away running on the same night as themselves !!

• Like 1

I was thinking that as well. I wouldn't have thought Friday was an option for Leicester if they do come up. Peterborough ride on Friday's too.

Thought that part of the blueprint for EL success was all meetings going ahead on the same night? Well that's that out the window....lol!!

• Like 1

Doubt very much if it will ever get to that due to most of the stadiums being used for other things as well as speedway. Would be nice to go back to weekend racing but the G.P's have put paid to that, also the E.L. relying so much on foreign riders. :neutral:

Surely Coventry would make a justfiable objection to another track less than 25 miles away running on the same night as themselves !!

Surely if you support Leicester you would go to Leicester if you support Cov you would go to Cov what difference does it make?. For the few stragglers who may make their way over to either. With Birmingham - Cov - Wolves - Leicester and to a lesser extent Peterboro being in the same vicinity surely away fans would would make up for that anyway. 5 of the 8 teams don't seem to have GP riders anyway. I would just point out though that I'm not a fan of joining the EL anyway .

Edited by TMW

Surely if you support Leicester you would go to Leicester if you support Cov you would go to Cov what difference does it make?. For the few stragglers who may make their way over to either. With Birmingham - Cov - Wolves - Leicester and to a lesser extent Peterboro being in the same vicinity surely away fans would would make up for that anyway. 5 of the 8 teams don't seem to have GP riders anyway. I would just point out though that I'm not a fan of joining the EL anyway .

Actually, Peterborough's Showground is only a few miles further away from Leicester's track than Wolves's Monmore (and might even be closer in driving time given it's mostly on the rural A47 rather than battling along the M6 or through all the West Midlands traffic lights and roundabouts).

Given that Leicester went so long without speedway, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few folk from that area got used to going to Coventry at least once a month and therefore still make a few visits to Brandon as well as supporting the Lions ... also, not every supporter lives close to their nearest track so both clubs will have a significant group of supporters who live in the towns and villages between the two cities.

The other consideration about avoiding neighbours racing on the same night is that it greatly increases the risk of the same bad weather scrubbing out two meetings instead of one (with all the knock-on effects that does to the fixture-list) ... while I'm well aware the whole of the Polish and Swedish leagues have their respective same racedays, the teams in those leagues are spread out over a much wider area of land and therefore far less at risk of one lump of bad weather wrecking several meetings.

In theory, if Leicester did join an Elite League designed to be raced on one night only and a particular week's fixtures put all the Midlands neighbours at home, with a decent sat-nav I reckon you'd might just be able to stand trackside for a heat at all of Monmore, Perry Barr, Brandon and Beaumont Leys on the same night (any 3 out of the 4 would be a realistic target) ... you'd struggle to do likewise in Sweden or Poland even if you borrowed a light aircraft in place of your car !!

Without wanting to recieve one of those FFS stop moaning posts but aren't you all missing a major point when figuring out when families are most likely to turn up. Unless the entertainment improves then my guess would be that most of the families who have been to watch Leicester Speedway will carry on what they were currently doing for most of last year irrespective of the which league we are in and who we are riding against (that's not going to Leicester Speedway btw). Are we really saying that all the people who who no longer go because the entertainment is a shocker are suddenly going to start turning up each week because the shocking entertainment is against someone just down the road rather than a bunch of triers from the North East. It might work for a couple of weeks tops but irrespective of new fans or returning fans, and even taking into account our nice stadium, friendly staff and a smidgeon of old time fan rivallry, there is already a clear indication as to how many people are happy with that as an option and how many aren't. It been done. The evidence is out there. Actually, i can't think of a single meeting that turned off fans (particularly the EL local rivals travelling fans variety) than the EL standard Magnus Karlsson testimonial last year. That had superstars of Speedway. That was huge local interest. That was a bumper crowd. That was also thankfully rained off before i (and i guess many others) felt the need to act out an impelling urge to walk out early.

Reading this thread and the Leicester v Cov threads I have to say i feel like i'm now living and watching my speedway in Utopia rather than Leicester. Lets hope it hold's up to it!

Edited by volty

I think tonights result at Leics is the worst thing to happen for the fans of the lions .IMO it will convince D/H that it would be the right thing to go E/L after the drubbing they gave Coventry. The match itself was obviously a great result for the Lions beating a very underperforming Bees (NKI is exempt from this criticism) but a normal 1 to 7 for Leics won,t ride as well as the team tonight .I don,t think D/H and his co promoters could afford to take a massive hit on their finances if the team start to lose against tougher opposition of E/L standard especially at home .The only way Leics could survive in a higher lge IMO is if the E/L is watered down with the GP riders not being part of the British scene .I know a lot of fans like to watch GP stars but I think maybe they could be scheduled to appear on British tracks in a mini GP series of individual meetings not just on EL tracks but some of the better run PL as well.BL speedway should be able to pull in bigger crowds with more balanced teams with riders who would be available most weeks of the year as they wouldn,t be tied up on foreign soil for friday practices and saturday race days with big possibilities of flight cancellations or other problems rearing their ugly heads. Also I know the majority of fans appreciate their own riders winning 46--- 44 with good close racing than a 60---30 borefest.Just my opinion on the way the British scene has gone downhill in the last 5/10 years it will be interesting to hear other fans comments

Cheers MIck C retired track curator.........................and I still miss the buzz ..

Edited by FTM
  • Like 1

gmmm. never thought about them moaners.

It's closet Witches fans invading the Ipswich threads who do all the moaning ... isn't it, Jenga :)

Edited by Had Enough

We have had 3 seasons of PL at BP and there are a lot of people wanting EL maybe it's time they had their wish. If it's the right or wrong thing only time would tell. There are a lot of Lions fans who have supported Cov or Peterboro in the years Leicester was closed and they know the EL inside out so aren't complete novices (or woolly eyed) as some people seem to call them . Finance isn't my problem. It maybe the right thing to do it may be the wrong thing but one thing is for sure in business you have to take risks and you wont know till you try.

wont matter what league the lions are in , in 2014.. their fans will still bad mouth the riders and track,

Personally I would like Leicester in the EL but your track is woeful

• Like 1