British Speedway Forum

That's not what I said. Why bring it up in the first place if you didn't want it used in context.which is why I commented on it..?

So, are you going to answer my initial question ?

No! Simply because I cannot understand what you want me to reply to?

My original comment was logical about tattoos as the debate was about Tai Woffinden having them and how times have changed from the very old days when people regarded them is a different context to what they do nowadays.

What my present views are in regard to tattoos are not really relevant to this debate about Tai Woffinden and his "body art".

In fairness to Gustix, I have always looked at people with tattoos on display as either threatening or people to keep an eye on. Perhaps unfair, but in my experience, people with them, can be 'trouble'.

Thanks Ray.

No! Simply because I cannot understand what you want me to reply to?

My original comment was logical about tattoos as the debate was about Tai Woffinden having them and how times have changed from the very old days when people regarded them is a different context to what they do nowadays.

What my present views are in regard to tattoos are not really relevant to this debate about Tai Woffinden and his "body art".

Thanks Ray.

You brought the subject in to the domain and I'm interested to know. Why won't you say, what's the problem?

So far we've had .....

Associated with people of low intelligence..

Reminds people of hells angels ....

Past world champions didn't have tats ...

Puts off older people ....

Street organ grinder .. ( it's not 1930 !!!)

And a whole lot more of drivel that just reinforces why our sport is going nowhere publicity wise. My son is 17 and just starting his speedway career and ..... He's just had his first tattoo. Most of the riders he rides against have tattoos, quite a few have piercings. It's fashion. If they regret it in later life that's their problem but for gods sake This has now gone on for 15 pages and there seems to be some people who think we're still in 1930.

• Like 4

You brought the subject in to the domain and I'm interested to know. Why won't you say, what's the problem?

Read all my Posts on this topic and you'll see they contain my views. Spell out specifically where I said this. I have no problem - it seems you may have an inability to follow a thread through in context.

Edited by Guest

So far we've had .....

Associated with people of low intelligence..

Reminds people of hells angels ....

Past world champions didn't have tats ...

Puts off older people ....

Street organ grinder .. ( it's not 1930 !!!)

And a whole lot more of drivel that just reinforces why our sport is going nowhere publicity wise. My son is 17 and just starting his speedway career and ..... He's just had his first tattoo. Most of the riders he rides against have tattoos, quite a few have piercings. It's fashion. If they regret it in later life that's their problem but for gods sake This has now gone on for 15 pages and there seems to be some people who think we're still in 1930.

I hope it was a Witch Jonny! wink

I've been hugely impressed and surprised with the eloquence of Tai Woffinden this year. He has been thoughtful, respectful and interesting whether he has been speaking to the Speedway Star or the BBC. I say surprised, perhaps I also carried some prejudiced notions that someone with loads of tattoos and ear lobe hoops could not be so decent. But that is what he has come across as, a thoroughly decent fella, a credit to the sport and his family.

On reflection now, although its not my taste, I think his tattoos are actually a good thing. He looks like a young, edgy motorcyclist. Isn't that what we want from a modern speedway world champion?

• Like 7

I've been hugely impressed and surprised with the eloquence of Tai Woffinden this year. He has been thoughtful, respectful and interesting whether he has been speaking to the Speedway Star or the BBC. I say surprised, perhaps I also carried some prejudiced notions that someone with loads of tattoos and ear lobe hoops could not be so decent. But that is what he has come across as, a thoroughly decent fella, a credit to the sport and his family.

On reflection now, although its not my taste, I think his tattoos are actually a good thing. He looks like a young, edgy motorcyclist. Isn't that what we want from a modern speedway world champion?

I think he would still look like an edgy motorcycle racer, if he didn't have the tattoos and black buttons in his ears. Bruce Penhall is a perfect example of someone who had the appeal to both male and female and apart from highlights in his hair, it was just Juicy Brucey! I don't think Valentino Rossi has any of the stuff either and is hugely popular, worldwide, young and old.

This comment is 100% spot on. Tai rides a motorcycle at 70mph with no brakes. Thats exactly how they should market speedway. I dont want someone roaring round a track at those speeds then standing in a interview saying "yes that was a jolly spiffing ride" speedway should not be marketed to the older generation.

• Like 2

I'm sure I saw Tai driving past my house this morning in a Transit pickup Overloaded with fridges and old bicycles shouting any old Iron :lol: seriously though most older people think people with tattoos are from the lower order of society I certainly do , Having tattoes especially in areas that cannot be covered by clothing , shows little thought for your own future . Imagine what woffindens throat will look like a few years down the line when that mess has faded and smudged as old tattoes do , and his ear lobe is touching his shoulder with a piece of drain pipe forced through it .

Gustix

Could I offer a thought

Here's a couple of your quotes

"we used to regard people with tatoos as being of low intelligence"

"As I said presentable and acceptable to the public at large. "

As opposed to someone else, who said

"I have always looked at people with tattoos on display as either threatening or people to keep an eye on. Perhaps unfair, but in my experience, people with them, can be 'trouble'. "

For me, the difference is that your quotes seem to be talking as a spokesman for other people, whereas the second contributor purely gives their opinion.

I find your contribution about the sport interesting but I don't think you can truly speak for anyone but yourself [iMVHO]

I'm sure I saw Tai driving past my house this morning in a Transit pickup Overloaded with fridges and old bicycles shouting any old Iron :lol: seriously though most older people think people with tattoos are from the lower order of society I certainly do , Having tattoes especially in areas that cannot be covered by clothing , shows little thought for your own future . Imagine what woffindens throat will look like a few years down the line when that mess has faded and smudged as old tattoes do , and his ear lobe is touching his shoulder with a piece of drain pipe forced through it .

And most young people think they look cool and thats what should matter. Speedway shouldnt be looking to attract old farts

• Like 2

T

Gustix

Could I offer a thought

Here's a couple of your quotes

"we used to regard people with tatoos as being of low intelligence"

"As I said presentable and acceptable to the public at large. "

As opposed to someone else, who said

"I have always looked at people with tattoos on display as either threatening or people to keep an eye on. Perhaps unfair, but in my experience, people with them, can be 'trouble'. "

For me, the difference is that your quotes seem to be talking as a spokesman for other people, whereas the second contributor purely gives their opinion.

I find your contribution about the sport interesting but I don't think you can truly speak for anyone but yourself [iMVHO]

I have never claimed to speak for other people. All my comments are my own views. That's the objective of debate surely? If my views upset some people - well that's the "name of the game" on forums.

In regard to my quote which you have highlighted "we used to regard people with tatoos as being of low intelligence" - note I do say "we used to regard..."

The "we" I refer to is what my generation thought of tattoos many, many years ago. In that context I feel the use of the "we' word is acceptable.

And most young people think they look cool and thats what should matter. Speedway shouldnt be looking to attract old farts

But 'old farts' are probably those with the money to spend on attending speedway if what was being produced was worth spending on. And why the need to insult the older generation anyway? They have previously paid their way over past years in spending their money on laying the foundations of the sport.

Edited by Guest

I would have thought speedway would be looking to attract anyone with a wallet at the moment.

Sad part is it isn't 'attracting' anyone and is hemorrhaging fans due to p#ss poor production values, dilapidated stadia, rubbish racing surfaces, debacles such as the Poole Belle Vue farce, intransigence on behalf of the BSPA and a general malaise that comes from a sport in serious decline.

?

most older people think people with tattoos are from the lower order of society I certainly do

Hello sailor? So all tattood sailors are low lifes too then. What a load of old tosh. It's 2013, for goodness sake. It's fashionable. Remember drainpipes and jackets down to your knees, then long hair and now its shaved heads. Its just fashion. Get over it. It's what's inside that matters. And I'm no spring chicken.

• Like 2

I would have thought speedway would be looking to attract anyone with a wallet at the moment.

Sad part is it isn't 'attracting' anyone and is hemorrhaging fans due to p#ss poor production values, dilapidated stadia, rubbish racing surfaces, debacles such as the Poole Belle Vue farce, intransigence on behalf of the BSPA and a general malaise that comes from a sport in serious decline.

I endorse what you say. It's good to know that I am not in biblical terms "a voice in the wilderness". :approve: