British Speedway Forum

The BBC actually cover Moto GP and it still only warrants a fleeting mention on SPOTY, so really Tai has virtually zilch chance of any more than that.

Still, one can live in hope.

Slightly off topic but I thought worth posting for those who haven't seen it, short video of Tai preparing his bikes and explaining his future plans, filmed in 2009.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bq3HnaQDo-M

I had seen it before but forgot all about it, just came across a link to it again on his website http://www.taiwoffinden.com/index.php

He was comfortable with the camera at 17, so no surprise he's a natural with these interviews, it's been said before but the lad is definitely marketable to the masses, if only there were a way..

"Top liners' from minority sports are really of minor interest to the BBC. On Chris Evans the other morning, I think the day after Woffinden was on, they were busy chatting to a three-year-old who was taking part in the horse trials!

In what way to do you think Tai Woffinden is marketable? Several none speedway followers I have spoken to in regard to the BBC TV appearance were a little stunned at the tattoos and ear-rings image. And they only commented and remembered it when I pressed them on the matter - recalling more how he looked than what he had achieved.

The lads at work commented about it. Basically "that kid who won the speedway looks like a right mess and sounds foreign!!" was the general concensus.

"Top liners' from minority sports are really of minor interest to the BBC. On Chris Evans the other morning, I think the day after Woffinden was on, they were busy chatting to a three-year-old who was taking part in the horse trials!

In what way to do you think Tai Woffinden is marketable? Several none speedway followers I have spoken to in regard to the BBC TV appearance were a little stunned at the tattoos and ear-rings image. And they only commented and remembered it when I pressed them on the matter - recalling more how he looked than what he had achieved.

It was good to see a speedway rider interviewed on bbc breakfast tv, it doesn't happen very often and minority sports rarely get that level of coverage ever. So enjoy it for what it was. Will it turn speedway back into the place it was in the 1930's, when you seemed to be a speedway fan, no it won't. Could it be the start if getting speedway mentioned a little more on the bbc? Maybe, if the BSPA get their PR act together.

The lads at work commented about it. Basically "that kid who won the speedway looks like a right mess and sounds foreign!!" was the general concensus.

His appearance is not the 'clean cut' one that most people expect from world champions. Tattoos and ear-rings are a turn-off for most people and Tai Woffinden's will do little to attract people to speedway. At the back of their mind how he looked could possibly turn them to thoughts of Hell's Angels and there much similar appearance. Yes, Tai Woffinden is a very good speedway rider - but that's all I can say in his favour.

It was good to see a speedway rider interviewed on bbc breakfast tv, it doesn't happen very often and minority sports rarely get that level of coverage ever. So enjoy it for what it was. Will it turn speedway back into the place it was in the 1930's, when you seemed to be a speedway fan, no it won't. Could it be the start if getting speedway mentioned a little more on the bbc? Maybe, if the BSPA get their PR act together.

I don't deny the fact that coverage for speedway on TV is good. It's just that I wonder what non-followers will think of it when Tai Woffinden's image portrays the sport for those who do not follow speedway.

And as for watching the sport in the 1930s - sadly not the case. It is from 1946 at New Cross. And do you know something - it was better organised and presented in those days. Straight forward organisation - clubs were just that with their own rider pool that survived in the normal course of things, season on season. National Press coverage - speedway riders featured in main National Press articles, meetings covered with match reports and previews. Them wuz the days!!!

Edited by Guest

His appearance is not the 'clean cut' one that most people expect from world champions. Tattoos and ear-rings are a turn-off for most people and Tai Woffinden's will do little to attract people to speedway.

Absolutely! It totally explains why that David Beckham bloke never got anywhere and is totally ignored by the media. Without the tattoos and bizarre fashion sense i reckon Beckham could have gone on to be a household name.

• Like 5

Absolutely! It totally explains why that David Beckham bloke never got anywhere and is totally ignored by the media. Without the tattoos and bizarre fashion sense i reckon Beckham could have gone on to be a household name.

Huge difference between Beckham and Tai. Becks was already a household name when he got his tatoo's etc. And despite the sarong episode his fashion sense has always been very smart. Tai on the other hand looked like a scruffy oik.

Huge difference between Beckham and Tai. Becks was already a household name when he got his tatoo's etc. And despite the sarong episode his fashion sense has always been very smart. Tai on the other hand looked like a scruffy oik.

I agree totally.

I think Tai would appeal far more to today's youngsters if he had a pencil moustache, wore a fashionable smoking jacket, and perhaps spoke a little like Trevor Howard in Brief Encounter

(It might even get him a Brylcream sponsorship)

Edited by John Leslie

David Beckham is not a world champion at anything - except gaining publicity.

That sums things up very well. For all that I cannot see in what way David Beckham has enhanced his image with tattoos. Do these people think things through - what will the tattoos look like in later life when there are changes in the body make-up? They'll just be hanging sketches on parts of the body that sag in old age.

I agree totally.

I think Tai would appeal far more to today's youngsters if he had a pencil moustache, wore a fashionable smoking jacket, and perhaps spoke a little like Trevor Howard in Brief Encounter

Rather a pointless comment. But Tai Woffinden would look more impressive if he took a glance at how, for example, top flight F1 drivers present themselves off track. In a word - they are presentable.

I agree. Always said he'd never make it at football. Become England captain and get 100+ caps? Don't make me laugh...no chance tattoo boy!

I agree. Always said he'd never make it at football. Become England captain and get 100+ caps? Don't make me laugh...no chance tattoo boy!

But talent in a team sport does not make David Beckham an individual world champion. And as has been pointed out Becks resorted to tattoos in more recent times than at the start of his sporting career.

Edited by Guest

That sums things up very well. For all that I cannot see in what way David Beckham has enhanced his image with tattoos. Do these people think things through - what will the tattoos look like in later life when there are changes in the body make-up? They'll just be hanging sketches on parts of the body that sag in old age.

Wouldn't have happened in your day eh Gustix, men having tattoos, perish the thought.

But talent in a team sport does not make David Beckham an individual world champion.

I agree. Because of his tattoos, David Beckham will never be a great sportsman, like all those World individual football champions such as....erm....erm.....help me out with a few names here Gus lad

Wouldn't have happened in your day eh Gustix, men having tattoos, perish the thought.

There have always been tattoos. But it was usually associated with those of low intelligence - not those who one assume want to present themselves as personalities to be taken seriously in their chosen field.

Edited by Guest

I agree totally.

(It might even get him a Brylcream sponsorship)

and of course the nations youngsters are all tuned into BBC breakfast on a Thursday morning aren't they?

An interview with a couple of other world champions, for comparison.