British Speedway Forum

If you read this weeks Speedway Star, the BSPA statement is that Doyle should have obtained a 3 year visa. The BSPA were aware of the legislation and every club was told what to do several times. At the moment it's Doyle, Alex Davies, Ryan Douglas, Tyson Nelson and Joey Ringwood who are affected.

In 2014 Somerset are to be renamed The Rye House Rebels, or The Somerset Select Rebels, a decision will be made in the next few weeks.

* SCB Quote
"No, it was never a 5. It was always a 7."
---------------------------------------------------------------
* HalifaxTiger Quote
"Was it ?

I ask because to be a 7.00 you have to be category 2:

'Riders with an "end of the previous season’s published average" in the Polish Ekstraliga or Swedish Elitserien of 6.00 and below plus ALL other Riders riding currently in any Professional Speedway League' - the crucial words being 'riding currently'(it doesn't say 'has ridden').

Is he riding in the Danish (or any other professional)League in 2014 ? If not, I'd say he's a 5.00.

Whatever the case, I simply do not know how Somerset - or the BSPA - got it that he was a 3.00, because the qualifying condition is clear:

'Riders who have ridden in the National Development League as an Amateur '.

Why did they even need to ask ?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
* SCB Quote

"Thats the only way they get away with it as he is not "currently" riding in another "Professional Speedway League". I'd argue that until 2014 kicks off he is currently riding in the Danish league though."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above quotes are the relevant opposing views. It's typical of the way speedway's regulations are badly thrown together and I can fully understand the Rebels faithful going with HT's view. IMO, if the Polish and Swedish averages are to be taken at the end of the previous season then there is no justifiable reason for that proviso not to apply to the other professional leagues.

The Kings' Lynn guest fiasco was another situation where 2 conflicting forms of words were interpreted in both ways at different times by the BSPA MC and the SCB Tribunal.

In the days when we had guests decided by differing home and away averages the change in regulation had been proposed by Neil Machin. On the first occasion that he needed to apply for a guest himself, he was amazed to have his first choice turned down. On further investigation he found that the regulation as published was worded differently to the one they had voted in at the AGM.

Brady Kurtz is a 7 but I won't be holding my breath waiting for the correct decision to be made.

Of course, the other possible variable is that we are basing our views on all current disputes on the 2013 regulations and there is absolutely no way we'll know if there are any significant changes for 2014 until much further down the road.

* Apologies for the odd quote formatting. This is the 4th attempt because the forum wouldn't let me multiquote for some reason.

Edited by Alan_Jones
  • Like 1

Quoted in todays Speedway Star that the BSPA chairman is having a meeting with MP's and the Border Agency to try to resolve this matter

Quoted in todays Speedway Star that the BSPA chairman is having a meeting with MP's and the Border Agency to try to resolve this matter

Also stated that it will be unlikely to have a positive impact for this year but hope to get it sorted for the future.

• Like 2

If I were the Hancock family, I would be seriously wondering why I bother trying to run a speedway club!

If I were the Hancock family, I would be seriously wondering why I bother trying to run a speedway club!

Why? It just doesn't affect Somerset..

I see Jason Doyle has tweeted he his hearing positive news. Fingers crossed it's regarding his visa.

• Like 2

Ty Proctor in for Jason Doyle.

Be interesting to see how many meetings Ty misses for Somerset compared to Nick Morris as this yet again looks like a kid in the teeth for Nick.

Understandable if there is a massive difference but would've pre-ferred Nick to Ty if I was a Somerset fan.

• Like 1

Somerset probably see Proctor as more of a rock steady number one and like for like replacement for Doyle rather than Nick who will need another season before he reaches those heady heights.

Shame there is no Nick, Alex, Doyley or Kyle though. A major chunk of the title winning team gone.

Need Brady to get a 7 plus average.

before or after the season starts?! wink
  • Like 4

Najjer, Willowman , Starman2006, where for art thou :wink: !!!

Proctor is no Doyle , Nick Morris would have been a better choice he is much more of an up and coming prospect imo. Proctor going to miss meetings too by the looks of things so wouldn't have been any worse off having Nick

Somerset probably see Proctor as more of a rock steady number one and like for like replacement for Doyle rather than Nick who will need another season before he reaches those heady heights.

Shame there is no Nick, Alex, Doyley or Kyle though. A major chunk of the title winning team gone.

I can't see that as Nick is mustard at Somerset & a better all round rider than Ty who is also coming back from a serious injury.

Ollie is used to being a No 1 as well so they might have swapped places early in the season but would've fully expected Nick to finish as No 1 in the end.

It also would've given Somerset another rider form the successful team of last season which would also have put bums on seats so too speak.

Won't score you the points Doyle would of scored. Doyle by the end of this season would have had an average of 10+ Proctors average wil drop to just below 9 IMO!