British Speedway Forum

Last year Birmingham were playing catch-up with the fixtures all season, with matches in hand on everyone until the last few weeks of the season. This year the first 3 EL meetings all involve Birmingham, and two of them are away. If Belle Vue get an away win at Perry Barr, it could prove a disaster, with possibly having a 3-match handicap on the rest of the league before most of the rest have turned a wheel in anger.

Best get the sponsors signed up now because if the season has fallen flat before the start of April, and with the likely reluctance of fans to support a team that's languishing, no new sponsors will be tempted later on in the year!

What other sport would have someone "unemployable" after having one good season. Ridiculous.

Smoli wasn't unemployable this season - he's had team place offers - he has just decided to give the UK a miss this year to concentrate on his Grand Prix debut season.

(OGT - I know it wasn't you who made that claim - I just couldn't be bothered to edit the longer post!)

• Like 1

Smoli wasn't unemployable this season - he's had team place offers - he has just decided to give the UK a miss this year to concentrate on his Grand Prix debut season.

(OGT - I know it wasn't you who made that claim - I just couldn't be bothered to edit the longer post!)

I find that very hard to believe. Who would be stupid enough to take a 4-5 point rider on a 7 point average? Unless they want a wooden spoon that is.

I'm not saying he is a bad rider but his average just makes him an unattractive team proposition

I find that very hard to believe. Who would be stupid enough to take a 4-5 point rider on a 7 point average? Unless they want a wooden spoon that is.

I'm not saying he is a bad rider but his average just makes him an unattractive team proposition

Sorry Steve0 - hard to believe or not - it happens to be true.

Smolinski was approached by two teams as far as I can recall but have to say he would have been a big gamble in any team in my opinion.

Daniel Nermark to make a return to Birmingham ?

But can they afford his demands is the question and will there be a cheaper option ?

Sorry Steve0 - hard to believe or not - it happens to be true.

Have to agree with Incognito - too much of a gamble on that average. He's had one great season in eons - any team would have been daft to include him. If you say it's true that he had offers for this year then I believe you - still very surprised that anyone would take the risk.

I wish him well in the GPs but fully expect him to finish bottom of the pile and Harris will be there to keep him company. Now a lot of people expected that of Tai last year and look where he finished up - however I don't see that happening for either Smoli or Harris.

Have to agree with Incognito - too much of a gamble on that average. He's had one great season in eons - any team would have been daft to include him. If you say it's true that he had offers for this year then I believe you - still very surprised that anyone would take the risk.

I wish him well in the GPs but fully expect him to finish bottom of the pile and Harris will be there to keep him company. Now a lot of people expected that of Tai last year and look where he finished up - however I don't see that happening for either Smoli or Harris.

Kinda agree. But like you say Tai was well written off as the lightweight of the top 15 by virtually everyone.

I cant see either Harris or Smolinski doing a Tai, but until the series starts and riders show there true form for the year it is not wise for any of us to write any of the starting 15!

• Like 1

Daniel Nermark to make a return to Birmingham ?

But can they afford his demands is the question and will there be a cheaper option ?

I think we need to sign a rider that can stick 2pts on his average, as I do worry about the side if we dont. We dont have an out and out number 1 and I dont see significant improvement in the top 4 to compenstate.

I understand the need to cut costs but is the sitauation that bad that we cant afford a number 1. It begs the question that perhaps we should have gone Premier League where costs can be cut and possibly a more competitive side could have been put out especially with Covatti, L Lindgren and Rusty Harrison as assets. With all the Midland sides in the El then thats one big reason why we havent but is the PL our level given the crowds we get and the losing so much money even after two sucessful seasons in the EL

• Like 1

If Birmingham had gome Premier League, I doubt Ludvig Lindgre would have signed as he doesn't like the Perry Barr track and feels more at home at Wolverhampton and Newcastle where he enjoys riding and starts as the Geordies #1 this season.

Daniel Nermark would be te best option for the last place as he is better than his starting avrage suggests and as a second string he could easily score 7 or 8 night ...... something Barker and Kennett may struggle to do as heat leaders but it would be a solid top five that can all score and in Paul Starke they have a very good reserve.

Daniel lives down the road from me when he races here and is often seen out running, but I think at 33 or 34 he is now settled in where he is and riding mainly in Sweden and Poland and it may be true that Brummies will go with a cheaper option like Timo Lahti who could be a decent signing uder the new race format but the new format may tempt Daniel to earn easy money in a number of meetings and come back to the track where he was once a heat leader

Still think they will be difficult to beat at home but away they may struggle and can't see them repeating last years success with this team

Edited by T.N.T.

don't like the flavour of the brummie team comments. I for one have been impressed with every choice so far. we are assembling a team of exciting talented riders who can ride anywhere on the track. glad we have avoided the prima-donnas that don't want to get their leathers dirty. thanks to mr drury and mr smolinski who were the difference between 7th to 1st last year. fortress perry barr in 2014 ,kennets better than you might think here. hes gonna be no 1 and do a smolinski.

nico covatti is the last signing for the brummies? it makes a lot of sense . he would have to make his mark this year and could be on a falsely low average when you consider his ambition and style. being in the main body of the team in this years diluted league could be the spur he needs.

don't like the flavour of the brummie team comments. I for one have been impressed with every choice so far. we are assembling a team of exciting talented riders who can ride anywhere on the track. glad we have avoided the prima-donnas that don't want to get their leathers dirty. thanks to mr drury and mr smolinski who were the difference between 7th to 1st last year. fortress perry barr in 2014 ,kennets better than you might think here. hes gonna be no 1 and do a smolinski.

nico covatti is the last signing for the brummies? it makes a lot of sense . he would have to make his mark this year and could be on a falsely low average when you consider his ambition and style. being in the main body of the team in this years diluted league could be the spur he needs.

Who says Drury doesn't post in forums?

You are entitled to your opinion but in my opinion that team is about exciting as watching a game of chess :rolleyes:

• Like 2

So pleased to read that!!!!! I might win my bet that Rosco will still have Kennett in one of his Team GB sides!! :D

ps if he's going to do a 'Smolinski' I hope Poole meet Brummies in the play-off final again!!! :shock:

Edited by Skidder1

Good luck with Eddie as you're going to need it as the man chokes whenever any pressure is on.

• Like 2

sorry I havnt replied but I couldn't pull myself away from the best game of chess ive had since last year. just beat me dad graham .he wanted to play with the poole edition of monopoly money but we thought that was too easy a game