British Speedway Forum

Yet another rider that signs up but is not revealed till a month later.

Can't understand the reasoning behind this attitude in speedway to keep things hush hush

It is rather farcical that both the indentity of the rider and sponsor were well known in advance of the announcement, holding it at a Selco Warhouse..... hmmm..... B&Q possibly then ? :rolleyes:

Personally I'm not commenting as much because thus far, there hasn't been a terrible lot to say that's nice I'm afraid, OK some financial restraint was clearly needed, but I think we have gone too far in persuit of it, and produced what looks a totally underwhelming team on paper as a result, I only hope it performs better on shale than it looks on paper or we will be back to square one with poor crowds again, no promotions or offers in the world will get people in to watch a poor performing team.

Edited by david2905

I have said it before it is make or break for the Elite League and Speedway in General this year, there is not a lot to get excited about at any track at the moment imo, as for Brums team no it is not going to win the play-offs but it has a few fighters in it so hopefully they can win a few at home at least, it is a case of wait & see plus fingers crossed.

Now that they know roughly what the season's wage bill is likely to be, they had better see about financing it...and not make it reliant on people walking through the door, because
1) there will be fewer of them, and

2) judging by the fans in the promotional video (on the web site and YouTube), the average revenue per fan won't be much higher than £10 which is the basic discretionary admission price.

Actually, if it wasn't such a desperate situation, this could have been the acid test of the oft mooted theory on BSF that speedway admission charges should only be £10 per adult. That's what the Brummies will average from their fanbase, let's see if they can make the business sustainable at that level of revenue.

What would of course help is if some serious sponsorship could be found or someone who can acquire sponsorship can be hired so that he can get on with it straight away.

Actually, if it wasn't such a desperate situation, this could have been the acid test of the oft mooted theory on BSF that speedway admission charges should only be £10 per adult. That's what the Brummies will average from their fanbase, let's see if they can make the business sustainable at that level of revenue.

You can't use that analogy because by bringing the price down to £10 adult admission as has been suggested by some, would mean the average that the business would receive would be £7-£8 would it not?

You can't use that analogy because by bringing the price down to £10 adult admission as has been suggested by some, would mean the average that the business would receive would be £7-£8 would it not?

After the Chancellor has taken his cut from a £10 admission charge the business would receive £8.35 (give or take a couple of pence).

For the business to receive £10, admission would have to £12.

If there losing money the vat return is likely to be £0 so a tenner is a tenner not 8.35

I'm assuming every outgoing we have I pretty much to vat registered company's including riders who all probably turnover the vat limit remember I say turnover not net....so if your out goings are more than your incomings which is the case with the brummies vat bill should end up with vat coming back in as a return

After the Chancellor has taken his cut from a £10 admission charge the business would receive £8.35 (give or take a couple of pence).

For the business to receive £10, admission would have to £12.

Apologies, my post was poorly worded that was what I was trying to say!

But I think pedaler was trying to say that at £15 adult admission by the time you take into account all the concessions and free admittances you would be down to an ave of £10. My point was that to all those who say it is a £10 sport, but the time you do the same maths the promotion will only be receiving less than £8 per person on ave through the turnstiles. Completely unsustainable.

If there losing money the vat return is likely to be £0 so a tenner is a tenner not 8.35

I'm assuming every outgoing we have I pretty much to vat registered company's including riders who all probably turnover the vat limit remember I say turnover not net....so if your out goings are more than your incomings which is the case with the brummies vat bill should end up with vat coming back in as a return

In theory you are correct, but only for the top riders, It is unlikely that the reserves will be over the vat threshold (79,000)pa and possibly any 2nd string foreigner who mainly rides abroad, as only the turnover in the uk would be taken into account.

Edited by A ORLOV

In theory you are correct, but only for the top riders, It is unlikely that the reserves will be over the vat threshold (79,000)pa and possibly any 2nd string foreigner who mainly rides abroad, as only the turnover in the uk would be taken into account.

I'd say any speedway rider should look at being VAT registered. All the kit, fuel, travelling expenses they pay VAT on which they can claim back, 20% saving per year straight off. Anyone can be VAT registered it's voluntary until you cross the Revenues threshold at which point it's compulsory.

I would be amazed if they wasn't it's not 20% though it's 1/6 th they can claim back/offset there out goings must he high travel costs alone would be hundreds a week

I'd say any speedway rider should look at being VAT registered. All the kit, fuel, travelling expenses they pay VAT on which they can claim back, 20% saving per year straight off. Anyone can be VAT registered it's voluntary until you cross the Revenues threshold at which point it's compulsory.

I stand corrected, I thought you could only register once your turnover was over the limit.

I would be amazed if they wasn't it's not 20% though it's 1/6 th they can claim back/offset there out goings must he high travel costs alone would be hundreds a week

If a product is up at £100it will actually cost £120 (£20 vat). You then claim that £20 back on your quarterly return. Don't know where the 1/6 comes into it?

Simple math 1/6 of 120 is 20 so they can get back 1/6 of what they have spent simple surely

VAT is 20% which is 20/100ths which is 2/10ths which is 1/5th. :D