British Speedway Forum
Phil

No Sky Or League Sponsorship Money Etc...

Speedway without TV is not viable to sponsors really be it clubs or riders. The money spent cannot be justified to the tax man unless it is very small. We shall have to look at this should no TV deal happen.

• Like 1

Speedway without TV is not viable to sponsors really be it clubs or riders. The money spent cannot be justified to the tax man unless it is very small. We shall have to look at this should no TV deal happen.

That's why as you know its imperitive, Sky thrash out a deal.

That's dependant on the business turnover, and a very grey area. The tax man has no say in a companies advertising budget unless it is proven to be fraudulent...

That's dependant on the business turnover, and a very grey area. The tax man has no say in a companies advertising budget unless it is proven to be fraudulent...

Well you are wrong. They are very clever these days and you cannot spend 100k on a rider as your name is on his leg and why would a sponsor anyway. When we sponsord cardiff at a 100k this was looked at but because of the cost to advertise on tv it was ok. Also why would you spend alot without tv ? No tv will be final nail in elite speedway in the uk i believe.

Well you are wrong. They are very clever these days and you cannot spend 100k on a rider as your name is on his leg and why would a sponsor anyway. When we sponsord cardiff at a 100k this was looked at but because of the cost to advertise on tv it was ok. Also why would you spend alot without tv ? No tv will be final nail in elite speedway in the uk i believe.

That's just common sense though, as advertising must be reasonable and affordable. Your Cardiff sponsorship was obviously an example of this, and I applaud your involvement in the sport..

That's dependant on the business turnover, and a very grey area. The tax man has no say in a companies advertising budget unless it is proven to be fraudulent.

Blue Panther, I wouildn't try and compete with the Know, because he does whats on the Tin..

Blue Panther, I wouildn't try and compete with the Know, because he does whats on the Tin..

Not competing at all Starman. I have sponsored two top English rider in the past through a business, so I am aware of guidelines. I personally never had any problems from HMRC, only help and assistance..

• Like 1

Not competing at all Starman. I have sponsored two top English rider in the past through a business, so I am aware of guidelines. I personally never had any problems from HMRC, only help and assistance..

Very pleased to hear that. Now I do realise that sponsors need to put there business in lights, but there are several younger British riders who could improve considerably with the right backing and better equipment, like The Know does. And Kyle Newman is one of them..

• Like 1

Not forgetting Lewis Kerr, Richie Worrall, Robert Lambert, Lewis Rose etc etc

• Like 2

Very pleased to hear that. Now I do realise that sponsors need to put there business in lights, but there are several younger British riders who could improve considerably with the right backing and better equipment, like The Know does. And Kyle Newman is one of them..

...which is not really dependant on TV coverage of the sport, is it?
  • Like 2

Let's get one thing straight and build on this

Right now the Elite League has no TV rights and no league sponsorship.

Team average is set to be reduced and clubs having to release their number 1's.

We can certainly forget about reduced admission costs. They will still continue to rise simply because as seen with the Premier League some of those clubs are only a £1 or 2 less than the EL. No "superstars" in that league.

With the admission costs remaining the same or rising and lower team averages, how will the EL become a better product????

It's quite simple for me. Strength in depth. We should look at structuring the teams with say, No1's can only have an average 2 points higher than the 5th rider in the team and the reserves minimum average increased to 4.00

I believe this alone will make meeting far more exciting rather than just the one or two races peer meeting we get today because of the gulf between the No1's and bottom end of the team

It will be interesting to see when they start negotiations with SKY as the AGM is less than two weeks away and they can't go with a limit as it is without that money in place. So it looks like it will be a much lower limit and more teams.

Hopefully just Leicester and do 20 home and 20 away meetings

Even if Sky do continue, I'm sure it will be at a much reduced amount than they have paid previously. So it seems pretty obvious there won't be enough money available to negotiate with No1 riders and their demands, so a weakened league is surely the way to go.

There is one thing certain, after the rules are finalised, this forum will be the busiest it has ever been, and the promoters will be hard at work trying to find loopholes in the new rules, in theory the setup sounds really good, only downside will be the lack of variety in the visiting Teams, the alternative is Speedway is finished as we know it!

So do I personally to a English rider last season and will be again this season.