British Speedway Forum
Jonny the spud

Isle Of Wight 2014

Time to kick the F.I.M. into touch , they do very Little for Speedway and cost a fortune . MX has shook the leeches off and become self governing ,time speedway did the same

• Like 3

Time to kick the F.I.M. into touch , they do very Little for Speedway and cost a fortune . MX has shook the leeches off and become self governing ,time speedway did the same

It would need international agreement to achieve this. British speedway could not adopt a stand-alone-policy in regard to quitting the FIM.

It would need international agreement to achieve this. British speedway could not adopt a stand-alone-policy in regard to quitting the FIM.

Not too difficult . I believe the Poles have already suggested it , and if we went with it the Danes ans Swedes would follow ,

It would be said to see any club have to close because of the air fence it lucky for club like King's Lynn Cov and Dudley as they use track that already have them there did Oxford have a air fence if so anyone know what happen to it ?

The first Oxford one is still owned by Allen Trump as far as I know who was peddling it for sale in the Speedway Star. The second one went to Kings Lynn but not sure they use that fence anymore

I guess IOW's problem is that the fence they will need is just so much bigger than many other tracks, say £20k for a fence, I suspect £30k for the IOW due to the number of panels required

Nobody would dispute Air Fences are the way forward but this rule will end up closing clubs and I am not sure that was what is was designed to do

Not too difficult . I believe the Poles have already suggested it , and if we went with it the Danes ans Swedes would follow ,

Would the smaller nations follow suit. And the establishment of such a body would need a lot of money and resources to put in place. It's a lot different being a member of an already long-established organisation to creating a new one - and would need a lot of administrative expertise to put in place.

On the face of it, British speedway appears to have enough problems running its own domestic scene - imagine if we were leaders of a new world organisation.

A further problem if speedway went it alone with its own new world governing body - what happens in regard to international grass track and long track racing. How would they fit into the scenario - would they want to be involved outside FIM jurisdiction? If not not, what status would speedway riders who also compete in these disciplines enjoy?

blaa .. blaa. does not rider safety not come into this discussion? if tracks are no longer safe close them! this is not the 80's. air fence is defacto and i totally support it.

I take it that you are well informed in the directive in regard to air fences: is it universal - affecting all countries?

And if so, how is it going to be enforced at places where speedway is only part of a meeting - as in New Zealand for example where they can and do appear on mixed programmes with sidecars, midget cars and sprint cars?

Or about tracks in USA and Canada where speedway only provide support races for Flat Track motorcycle racing?

Are air fences also being imposed on European speedway outposts like Holland, Belgium, Romania and Bulgaria?

Has the use of air fences actually been mandated for the UK by the FIM or is it something that is just being imposed by the UK's governing body.

I am not decrying that air fences provide additional safety for riders: their care and safety must always be paramount.

Edited by Guest

The first Oxford one is still owned by Allen Trump as far as I know who was peddling it for sale in the Speedway Star. The second one went to Kings Lynn but not sure they use that fence anymore

I guess IOW's problem is that the fence they will need is just so much bigger than many other tracks, say £20k for a fence, I suspect £30k for the IOW due to the number of panels required

Nobody would dispute Air Fences are the way forward but this rule will end up closing clubs and I am not sure that was what is was designed to do

iwade are in the same boat as the IOW. i can see there being some casualties this winter because of the air fence issue.

blaa .. blaa. does not rider safety not come into this discussion? if tracks are no longer safe close them! this is not the 80's. air fence is defacto and i totally support it.

I suppose the rider will be safe if they can't ride !!!!!!!

It would be terrible if the Islanders were to be lost to the sport, lets hope a solution can be found.

The rule to bring in air fences across the board is a very good one with regards to rider safety there can be no arguments with that. The ridiculous part, especially for standalone National League outfits, is the timing of the announcement that the rule was coming into effect. It have hardly any notice for clubs to prepare and get fund raising initiatives in place.

Tracks like Buxton have done a great job with their fund raising efforts but they can't have been easy, fund raising never is, but the least that could have been done was to give these clubs some time.

Lets hope the IOW come to tapes for 2014. Perhaps a meeting with some of their former stars such as Chris Holder donating their services to kick the season off could help raise some money?

To put matters into perspective the Chris Holder earnings from just one Polish meeting would just about sort things out.

(ps I am not suggesting CH should pay for it!)

• Like 1

After my many visits to the Island can I ask a question that nobody seems to have come up with? Would it be cheaper to shorten/narrow the overall width of the track, if allowed, and then put in a smaller air fence? I know the Island has always been large but to survive thinking out of the box may have to be the answer. Hope to see the Islanders in 2014 against the Heathens!

After my many visits to the Island can I ask a question that nobody seems to have come up with? Would it be cheaper to shorten/narrow the overall width of the track, if allowed, and then put in a smaller air fence? I know the Island has always been large but to survive thinking out of the box may have to be the answer. Hope to see the Islanders in 2014 against the Heathens!

i think that might be a non starter now that football is being staged there again.